    Is there a way to configure DUN so it will dial and connect silently?

    Will in Seattle
    a.k.a. Clueless

    Clueless in Seattle, Sep 18, 2007

  2. Clueless in Seattle

    John Holmes Guest

    Clueless in Seattle "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I'm one of the unfortunate few who is too poor to afford a high speed
    > internet connection and so I rely on a free dial-up ISP called
    > NoCharge.com.
    >
    > I use Windows Dial-Up Networking (DUN) to connect to my ISP via the
    > internal modem in the old laptop my niece gave me earlier this year.
    >
    > I sometimes enjoy listening to music on the computer, so it's pretty
    > annoying to have the dialing noises of DUN intrude into the music each
    > time I connect to the internet.
    >
    > Is there a way to configure DUN so it will dial and connect silently?
    >
    > Will in Seattle
    > a.k.a. Clueless

    Add ATM0 to your modem init string.

    --
    Your mother was an obnoxious devil who splashed about in the puddle of
    decadence in a small tent in the middle of nowhere.

    John Holmes, Sep 18, 2007

  3. Clueless in Seattle

    MoiMoi Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > I'm one of the unfortunate few who is too poor to afford a high speed
    > internet connection and so I rely on a free dial-up ISP called
    > NoCharge.com.
    >
    > I use Windows Dial-Up Networking (DUN) to connect to my ISP via the
    > internal modem in the old laptop my niece gave me earlier this year.
    >
    > I sometimes enjoy listening to music on the computer, so it's pretty
    > annoying to have the dialing noises of DUN intrude into the music each
    > time I connect to the internet.
    >
    > Is there a way to configure DUN so it will dial and connect silently?
    >
    > Will in Seattle
    > a.k.a. Clueless

    In the dialup connection properties, every version of Windows has option
    to either set volume of the modem speaker, or to turn off modem speaker.

    MM

    MoiMoi, Sep 18, 2007
  4. On Sep 17, 5:20 pm, John Holmes <> wrote:

    > Add ATM0 to your modem init string.

    Back in my CP/M days I might have known how to do that. But I'm
    afraid that the combination of the memory loss that comes with old age
    and the inscrutability of the Windows operating system has left me
    without a clue as to how to modify my modem init string.

    I'd be grateful to anyone who could help me figure out how to do this.

    Will in Seattle
    a.k.a. "Clueless"

    P.S. I'm running Win 2K (I know! Ancient technology! But I'm trying
    to scrape by on a pittance of a Social Security disability pension and
    just never have enough left over at the end of the month to spring for
    an upgrade).

    Clueless in Seattle, Sep 18, 2007
  5. Clueless in Seattle

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 15:27:32 -0000, Clueless in Seattle wrote:

    >On Sep 17, 5:20 pm, John Holmes <> wrote:
    >
    >> Add ATM0 to your modem init string.

    >Back in my CP/M days I might have known how to do that. But I'm
    >afraid that the combination of the memory loss that comes with old age
    >and the inscrutability of the Windows operating system has left me
    >without a clue as to how to modify my modem init string.
    >
    >I'd be grateful to anyone who could help me figure out how to do this.

    Adding something to modem (properties) configuration (control panel)
    perhaps.

    www.google.com
    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,560,000 English pages for

    windows 2000 modem string

    .. (0.13 seconds)

    1 hit with pictures,

    http://www.netfaqs.com/Windows/DUN/Win2k/Modem/Settings/index.asp

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Sep 18, 2007
  6. Clueless in Seattle

    Guest

    , Sep 18, 2007
  7. On Sep 17, 5:46 pm, MoiMoi <> wrote:
    > In the dialup connection properties, every version of Windows has option
    > to either set volume of the modem speaker, or to turn off modem speaker.

    Thanks MM!

    I'm having trouble finding that setting. Would you know how to find
    it in Win 2K?

    I went to Settings>Network and Dial-Up Connections

    And on the list of connections (I have eight, one for each of the
    eight local dial-up numbers for NoCharge.com) I right clicked on
    connection #1 and got a little grey window with five tabs:

    General
    Security
    Networking
    Sharing

    I've hunted around on each of those tabs but can't find the setting
    for volume of the modem speaker, or to turn off modem speaker.

    However I do recall seeing some months ago a setting like the one you
    describe, but I'll be danged if I can remember where I found it. I
    did set the volume to zero and it stayed that way for quite some
    time. But it somehow got reset by Windows (Windows seems to like to
    constantly undo my settings, don't know why, so I'm constantly having
    to reset them).

    No, wait! I just noticed the "Configure" button on the "General" tab,
    under the "Connect using:" window.

    When I clicked it I got a "Modem Configuration" Window with a check
    box labeled "Enable modem speaker."

    Bingo!

    I unchecked it and voilĂ ! No more dial-up sounds.

    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, MM.

    It seems that I have to change this setting on each of my eight
    "connections." Do you know if somewhere there's a global setting that
    I can set just once for all eight connections?

    Will in Seattle
    a.k.a. "Clueless"

    Clueless in Seattle, Sep 18, 2007

    On Sep 18, 10:17 am, wrote:

    > How to Use Modem AT Commands in HyperTerminalhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/q124890/
    >
    > http://www.rav.efbnet.com/humour/ohshit-cat.jpg

    I don't use HyperTerminal.

    I use the "connections" in Networking and Dial-up Connections in Win
    2K. I think it used to be called Dial Up Networking, but I could have
    that wrong.

    Would I have to run hyperterminal each time I boot up my computer?
    Maybe I could put it in a batch file that would run automatically at
    boot-up.

    Clueless in Seattle, Sep 18, 2007
  9. Clueless in Seattle

    Guest

    Clueless in Seattle <> wrote:

    >> >I'd be grateful to anyone who could help me figure out how to do this.

    >On Sep 18, 10:17 am, wrote:
    >
    >> How to Use Modem AT Commands in HyperTerminalhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/q124890/
    >>
    >> http://www.rav.efbnet.com/humour/ohshit-cat.jpg

    >I don't use HyperTerminal.

    No you wouldn't, there's much better out there.

    >Would I have to run hyperterminal each time I boot up my computer?
    >Maybe I could put it in a batch file that would run automatically at
    >boot-up.

    No...

    Start | Run <type in>
    hypertrm
    <enter>

    Set it up as per link then: ATM0
    (0=zero)

    You do it one time the setting takes place in the modem.

    Might google: modem AT commands
    --
    Man who lives under a bridge in Albany arrested for
    sending threatening emails to Barbara Bush.

    , Sep 18, 2007
  10. Clueless in Seattle

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:01:52 -0000, Clueless in Seattle wrote:

    >On Sep 17, 5:46 pm, MoiMoi <> wrote:
    >> In the dialup connection properties, every version of Windows has option
    >> to either set volume of the modem speaker, or to turn off modem speaker.

    >Thanks MM!
    >
    >I'm having trouble finding that setting. Would you know how to find
    >it in Win 2K?

    Urgh! Think

    Control Panel / Modem

    <snip>

    >When I clicked it I got a "Modem Configuration" Window with a check
    >box labeled "Enable modem speaker."

    Yea!

    >Bingo!
    >
    >I unchecked it and voilĂ ! No more dial-up sounds.

    Except when it resets for a daft reason.

    >Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, MM.
    >
    >It seems that I have to change this setting on each of my eight

    If it seems odd, it's not the right place :)

    >"connections." Do you know if somewhere there's a global setting that

    Modem Properties, not per connection properties.

    Control Panel / Phone and Modem.

    >I can set just once for all eight connections?

    You were told already,

    why?, Sep 18, 2007