    distracting and annoying.

    Mark

    , Dec 8, 2004

  2. Moz Champion Guest

    wrote:

    > I think thats the correct name for it.
    > What I am referring to is when I start typing in the url bar, I begin
    > typing www.go and I get www.google.com and www.goobars.com etc.
    >
    > I hated this feature in IE, and I hate it in firefox. I can type the
    > url faster than using that thing. IE has a way to shut it off, I cant
    > seem to find a way in Firefox, and want to get rid if it. It's simply
    > distracting and annoying.
    >
    > Mark

    First we have to ascertain which feature that is impacting your choice.
    From the looks of it, it appears to be internet keywords that is
    attempting to 'complete' your incomplete location.

    Domain guessing (adding a www. and .com prefix/suffix [configurable])
    only comes into play if IK doesnt work

    So in your case, turning off Internet Keywords would prevent much of the
    auto typing you now see.

    On Firefox you turn off Internet keywords by
    making (pref("keyword.enabled", false) using the about:config method

    That would leave you with 'domain guessing' turned on, which would
    attempt to add www and .com (configurable) to your typing. If this still
    bothers you, you can turn that off as well by
    making
    browser.fixup.alternate.enabled - false,

    or configure the choices with the next two prefs
    browser.fixup.alternate.prefix - "www."
    browser.fixup.alternate.suffix - ".com"

    these can be changed directly in the prefs by use of the about:config
    method or changed via a user.js method as well.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

    Moz Champion, Dec 9, 2004