  1. I've got a small wireless network set up in my home office-- two desktops,
    two notebooks. How do I move files between them?

    Doc

    J.H. Holliday, May 29, 2005

  2. J.H. Holliday

    Mike Easter Guest

    J.H. Holliday wrote:
    > I've got a small wireless network set up in my home office-- two
    > desktops, two notebooks. How do I move files between them?

    If it is all Win, you could add the NetBEUI protocol in your networking
    configuration and do your shared drives thru' that.

    I presume the wireless network device includes NAT between the internet
    and your lan.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 29, 2005

  3. J.H. Holliday

    7 Guest

    J.H. Holliday wrote:

    > I've got a small wireless network set up in my home office-- two desktops,
    > two notebooks. How do I move files between them?
    >
    > Doc

    You can use windope networking if you don't have WiFI security issues.

    If you want secure transfers then
    run ssh server on windope boxes
    (obtained from http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/ )
    Other windopes machine can access PC with
    Use winscp for file transfer between PCs
    (obtained from http://sourceforge.net/projects/winscp/ ).

    If you have liveCDs you can boot from them and transfer files..
    Run up konqueror and use fish://username@ipaddress
    URL syntax to transfer file to other windopes boxes
    running ssh, or LiveCD boxes running ssh.
    With tabbed browsing in konqueror, its possible to
    transfer multiple files across multiple machines
    all with a few clicks.

    The data transfer is encrypted so it can be used over
    WiFi links.

    All open source and free.

    7, May 29, 2005
  4. J.H. Holliday

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Mike Easter mused:

    | If it is all Win, you could add the NetBEUI protocol in your
    | networking configuration and do your shared drives thru' that.

    Why bother with that when he's probably already using TCP/IP?

    mhicaoidh, May 30, 2005
  5. J.H. Holliday

    Duane ;-\) Guest

    "J.H. Holliday" <doc@okcorral> wrote in message
    > I've got a small wireless network set up in my home office-- two desktops,
    > two notebooks. How do I move files between them?
    >
    > Doc

    It covers all the Windows O/S(s).

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/guidshrh.htm

    Duane :)

    Duane ;-\), May 30, 2005
  6. J.H. Holliday

    Mike Easter Guest

    mhicaoidh wrote:
    > Taking a moment's reflection, Mike Easter mused:
    >>
    >> If it is all Win, you could add the NetBEUI protocol in your
    >> networking configuration and do your shared drives thru' that.

    > Why bother with that when he's probably already using TCP/IP?

    It's another layer of quasi- security. If we are defending our network
    with NAT, we might as well defend our shares with netbeui.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 30, 2005
  7. J.H. Holliday

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    > I've got a small wireless network set up in my home office-- two desktops,
    > two notebooks. How do I move files between them?
    >
    > Doc

    on a browser window, type this:
    \\computername\c$ then enter
    or
    \\IP_address\c$ then enter

    it may ask for administrator login and password

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, May 30, 2005
  8. J.H. Holliday

    Duane ;-\) Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > mhicaoidh wrote:
    >> Taking a moment's reflection, Mike Easter mused:
    >>>
    >>> If it is all Win, you could add the NetBEUI protocol in your
    >>> networking configuration and do your shared drives thru' that.

    >> Why bother with that when he's probably already using TCP/IP?

    > It's another layer of quasi- security. If we are defending our network
    > with NAT, we might as well defend our shares with netbeui.

    I don't see where the NetBeui protocol can be installed on XP. I know it's
    on Win 2k and down.

    Duane :)

    Duane ;-\), May 30, 2005
  9. J.H. Holliday

    Sunny Guest

    "Duane ;-)" <> wrote in message

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> mhicaoidh wrote:
    >>> Taking a moment's reflection, Mike Easter mused:

    >>> Why bother with that when he's probably already using TCP/IP?

    >> It's another layer of quasi- security. If we are defending our network
    >> with NAT, we might as well defend our shares with netbeui.
    >>

    > I don't see where the NetBeui protocol can be installed on XP. I know it's
    > on Win 2k and down.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301041
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306059
    Install NetBEUI on Windows XP
    The files necessary for installing the NetBEUI protocol on Windows XP
    are Netnbf.inf and Nbf.sys.
    Complete the following steps to install NetBEUI:
    Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive and browse to
    the Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder.
    Copy Nbf.sys to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Drivers directory.
    Copy Netnbf.inf to the %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf hidden directory.

    NOTE: To make a hidden folder viewable, perform the following steps:
    Click Start, click Run, type Explorer, and then press ENTER.
    Click Tools, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
    Under Advanced Settings, click Show hidden files and folders
    ( under the Hidden files and folders Folder.)
    Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
    Right-click the adapter you want to add NetBEUI to, and then click
    Properties.
    On the General tab, click Install.
    Click Protocol, and then click Add.
    Click to select NetBEUI Protocol from the list and then click OK.
    Restart your computer if you receive a prompt to complete the installation.

    Sunny, May 30, 2005
  10. J.H. Holliday

    Mike Easter Guest

    Sunny wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> It's another layer of quasi- security. If we are defending our
    >>> network with NAT, we might as well defend our shares with netbeui.

    > Install NetBEUI on Windows XP

    Actually we don't even know if there's a NAT device in his wireless
    setup, nor do we know what is or isn't XP.

    I guess it is logical to assume the wireless is a NAT and that 'most
    people' are XP -- but maybe there's no NAT, no software 'firewall', and
    his only 'defense' is the netbeui for the shares.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 30, 2005
  11. J.H. Holliday

    Sunny Guest

    > Sunny wrote:
    >>> "Mike Easter"

    >> Install NetBEUI on Windows XP

    > Actually we don't even know if there's a NAT device in his wireless
    > setup, nor do we know what is or isn't XP.
    >
    > I guess it is logical to assume the wireless is a NAT and that 'most
    > people' are XP -- but maybe there's no NAT, no software 'firewall', and
    > his only 'defense' is the netbeui for the shares.

    True, I am using NetBEUI between 3 PCs (2 x WinXP and 1 WinME).
    Solved any "defence" problems with file/printer sharing. :)
    (Even though I use an A/V and Zone Alarm Pro on all 3 PCs)
    Also use a 4 port powered switch between the cable modem and PCs.
    My ISP offers additional accounts at $1 per month, so didn't go for a router
    $$$

    Sunny, May 30, 2005
  12. J.H. Holliday

    > Sunny wrote:
    >>> "Mike Easter"

    >> Install NetBEUI on Windows XP

    > Actually we don't even know if there's a NAT device in his wireless
    > setup, nor do we know what is or isn't XP.
    >
    > I guess it is logical to assume the wireless is a NAT and that 'most
    > people' are XP -- but maybe there's no NAT, no software 'firewall', and
    > his only 'defense' is the netbeui for the shares.

    I wouldn't install or use the old outdated Netbeui protocol as it's not a
    routable protocol and can cause problems with resource sharing between wire
    and wireless machine with wireless encryption enabled.

    I use the TCP/IP protocol exclusively and remove the Everyone group account
    off of NTFS on the drive, which covers the shares too and use the
    Authenticated User group account.

    I was using MS's NWlink protocol to circumvent the problem with
    wire/wireless machine resource sharing with wireless encryption enabled but
    dumped that too and just use TCP/IP only.

    That's my little security mix. ;-)

    Duane :)

    Duane ;-\), May 30, 2005