    best I can do for now save then on a CD in jpg format?

    Thanks much,
    Bruce

    Bruce, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Bruce

    bmoag Guest

    Scanning 1000 slides oneself is a lifetime project and an expensive prospect
    even for Kodak CDs. I would first edit down the number of slides. Once
    scanned, however you do it, there are a number of commercial programs that
    will create a slide show on DVD +/-R that will play on most DVD players.

    bmoag, Aug 8, 2003

  3. "bmoag" <> wrote in message news:<PZFYa.819$>...
    > Scanning 1000 slides oneself is a lifetime project and an expensive prospect
    > even for Kodak CDs. I would first edit down the number of slides. Once
    > scanned, however you do it, there are a number of commercial programs that
    > will create a slide show on DVD +/-R that will play on most DVD players.

    I used a CanoScan 2700F, which I've had for four years, to do
    this. If you allow five minutes per 35mm. slide/film frame that will
    give you a bench mark to go by. So my Maths makes that about 83 hours
    work, say two hours per evening, call it 40 days work. That five
    minutes is scan time plus general housekeeping per slide. Do keep
    them at the highest resolution your scanner will allow. It is easy to
    get rid of dots by far more difficult to get them back. You can always
    make low resolution copies to show on a DVD/TV player from the
    originals.

    Chris.

    Chris McBrien, Aug 8, 2003
  4. Bruce

    gsum Guest

    This is a real dilema. I had my slides commercially
    scanned to 6mp resolution. The results were good
    but not great and it was quite expensive. I've come to the
    conclusion that the best compromise is to save the cost
    of scanning (whether done commercially or by a
    purchase of a good quality scanner) and put the money towards a DSLR. The
    slides can then be photographed
    on a projection screen or using a slide attachment.
    After all, at 35mm the limiting factor is film, no
    matter how good the scanner.

    Graham

    gsum, Aug 8, 2003
  5. Bruce

    Bob Salomon Guest

    In article <3f3387d2$>,
    "gsum" <> wrote:

    > This is a real dilema. I had my slides commercially
    > scanned to 6mp resolution. The results were good
    > but not great and it was quite expensive. I've come to the
    > conclusion that the best compromise is to save the cost
    > of scanning (whether done commercially or by a
    > purchase of a good quality scanner) and put the money towards a DSLR. The
    > slides can then be photographed
    > on a projection screen or using a slide attachment.
    > After all, at 35mm the limiting factor is film, no
    > matter how good the scanner.
    >
    > Graham
    >
    > "Chris McBrien" <> wrote in message
    > > "bmoag" <> wrote in message

    > > > Scanning 1000 slides oneself is a lifetime project and an expensive

    > prospect
    > > > even for Kodak CDs. I would first edit down the number of slides. Once
    > > > scanned, however you do it, there are a number of commercial programs

    > that
    > > > will create a slide show on DVD +/-R that will play on most DVD players.

    > > I used a CanoScan 2700F, which I've had for four years, to do
    > > this. If you allow five minutes per 35mm. slide/film frame that will
    > > give you a bench mark to go by. So my Maths makes that about 83 hours
    > > work, say two hours per evening, call it 40 days work. That five
    > > minutes is scan time plus general housekeeping per slide. Do keep
    > > them at the highest resolution your scanner will allow. It is easy to
    > > get rid of dots by far more difficult to get them back. You can always
    > > make low resolution copies to show on a DVD/TV player from the
    > > originals.
    > >
    > > Chris.

    The Braun Slidscan 3600 will automatically scan up to 100 35mm or Super
    Slides in any combination at up to 3600x3600 dpi, 48 bit on a Mac or PC.

    Uses standard European, LKM, CS or Braun straight or round trays.

    --
    HP Marketing Corp.

    Bob Salomon, Aug 8, 2003
  6. Bruce <> wrote in

    > My folks have about 1,000 35mm slides that they would like to transfer
    > to digital format, and possibly show them on a TV.
    >
    > First, how can I transfer them to a digital format to the pc (XPHome).
    >
    > Next, I don't believe their DVD player will play jpgs, just regular
    > DVDs. Is there a way I can put them on a CD to play through the TV, or
    > is the best I can do for now save then on a CD in jpg format?

    I recently discovered you can get acceptable results by simply using your
    digicam to photograph your slide through one of those old-fashioned slide
    viewers. You can photograph at least 2 per minute, and it only costs your
    time. Check out this page I made:
    http://www.mindspring.com/~skinsman/Scanned Slide vs Photographed.htm

    As for playing them on a DVD player, I know there's a format called "VCD" -
    "Video CD". Most DVD players can recognize this format. A few can't.
    Unfortunately, I don't know how to make a VCD (I have purchased 2 that play
    fine on my DVD player - the quality is about the same as a video tape).
    Maybe someone else can help us both out on this one.

    Tony Whitaker, Aug 8, 2003
  7. Tony Whitaker <newsgroups@t_o_n_y_whitaker.com> wrote in

    > I recently discovered you can get acceptable results by simply using
    > your digicam to photograph your slide through one of those
    > old-fashioned slide viewers.

    I should mention that not all digicams will be able to do this. I can't do
    it with my Canon S230 - it won't focus on it. Well - I'm still trying to
    make it work, and I haven't succeeded yet.

    The Nikon 5000 has exceptionally good macro ability, and it focuses with
    the contrast detection method. It worked easily the first time I tried it.

    Tony Whitaker, Aug 8, 2003
  8. Bruce

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Since you have a CD burner, have you checked the CD software creator?
    Both Roxio and Nero can create a VCD.
    Or do a search on Google.com for
    JPG to VCD. I am sure you will find lots of suggestions.
    or try this site:

    www.newfreeware.com/graphics/0-1.html
    Rosita

    HRosita, Aug 8, 2003
  9. et (HRosita) wrote in

    > www.newfreeware.com/graphics/0-1.html

    Thanks for that info. I see there are lots of programs to make video CDs. I
    have the older Adaptec Easy CD Creator software which, unfortunately,
    appears to be unable to make a VCD.

    I installed Nero many months ago, but it's expired now. Do you know of any
    totally free software that will allow me to burn a slide show in VCD
    format?

    Tony Whitaker, Aug 8, 2003
  10. > The Braun Slidscan 3600 will automatically scan up to 100 35mm or Super
    > Slides in any combination at up to 3600x3600 dpi, 48 bit on a Mac or PC.
    >
    > Uses standard European, LKM, CS or Braun straight or round trays.

    I can't find any reference to the Braun Slidescan 3600, using
    Google, or any Braun scanners only their slide projectors and of
    course e;ectric razors. Please can you point me in the right
    direction.

    Chris.

    Chris McBrien, Aug 9, 2003
  11. Bruce

    HRosita Guest

    HRosita, Aug 9, 2003
  12. et (HRosita) wrote in

    > Check out this site:
    > http://www.xvcd.com/sources.htm
    >
    > or do your own google search for
    > VCD freeware.
    > Rosita

    As is common, the downloads that are called "Freeware" turn out to be badly
    crippled versions of software someone wants you to pay for.

    I did a google search on "freeware VCD slide show", and got 19,800 returns.
    The first 12 I checked out led me nowhere fast.

    Tony Whitaker, Aug 9, 2003
  13. Bruce

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    Sorry, I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch or free software for you.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Aug 9, 2003
  14. Bruce

    wbmoodie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Take a picture!

    Scanning is so time consuming.. Try this:

    Show the pictures on the wall and take a picture of them with your digital camera! It works much better than you'd expect.

    I use my Canon G3; I can take the pix as fast as I can run them through the projector!

    wbmoodie, Oct 4, 2008