    1. whether they work.
    2. if they work, how to check any existing setting on them ?

    Many thanks,
    Smiley, Aug 1, 2007

  2. Smiley

    Guest

    Well, if you go searching for the network and find one then it is
    active. Some settings (whether WEP is in use, for instance) will be
    displayed for you.

    On Aug 1, 8:49 am, "Smiley" <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Would someone point me to start how to test a wireless access point please.
    >
    > I was given a box of various bits and to check out the 'status'/info on
    > them. Among them there are number of D-Link wireless Access point each of
    > various specs. for example air plus xtremeG, air plus g+ 2.4ghz etc.
    >
    > My question is how do I test them on
    > 1. whether they work.
    > 2. if they work, how to check any existing setting on them ?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    , Aug 1, 2007

  3. Smiley

    Smiley Guest

    Hi there,

    I am not being funny. I don't know how to set it up and have been searching
    for user manual on the internet to start me off but don't seem to find any.

    Do I connect the device to my pc or do I plug it in my router ?

    Smiley, Aug 2, 2007
  4. Smiley

    Lem Guest

    borepstein wasn't being funny either.

    Manuals for home/small office wireless networking devices can usually be
    found at the manufacturer's web site. It would have helped if you had
    given exact model numbers, but if you have a D-Link Airplus ExtremeG
    Access Point model DWL-2100AP, then its main product page is here:
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=292
    and its manual is here:
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwl2100AP/Manual/dwl2100AP_manual_200.zip

    If you want to check its configuration, first configure the NIC in your
    computer with a static IP in the range 192.168.0.x with a subnet mask of
    255.255.255.0. Then connect the AP via Ethernet cable to your computer,
    open a browser, and enter 192.168.0.50 in the address bar. If that
    doesn't get you to the AP's login screen, or if you can't login using
    the default user name (admin) and default password (leave blank), then
    reset the AP to its factory default settings using the reset button on
    the back (between the Ethernet jack and the antenna). The manual
    doesn't say, but I suggest pressing this button (with a paper clip or
    the like) for 10-20 seconds.

    Lem, Aug 2, 2007
  5. Smiley

    Smiley Guest

    Hi there,

    Borepstein accept my appology if it came across I thought you were being
    funny.
    I didn't meant to say Borepstein was being funny.

    Lem, that is the model number. To cut the story short, I have no experience
    on access point and don't know how it work and have been trying to meet 'the
    deadline'. Thank you for the info, I shall take the device home and test out
    and post my finding.

    Thank you so much and have a good evening.

    Smiley, Aug 2, 2007
  6. Smiley

    Guest

    Hi Smiley,

    Don't worry, it's alright.

    I was way too brief - sorry about that. I only covered the part not
    covered by manufacturer's/OS manuals. With that part I am not sure I
    could help you anyhow.

    Have you figured this problem out?

    Boris.

    On Aug 2, 1:13 pm, "Smiley" <> wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Borepstein accept my appology if it came across I thought you were being
    > funny.
    > I didn't meant to say Borepstein was being funny.
    >
    > Lem, that is the model number. To cut the story short, I have no experience
    > on access point and don't know how it work and have been trying to meet 'the
    > deadline'. Thank you for the info, I shall take the device home and test out
    > and post my finding.
    >
    > Thank you so much and have a good evening.
    >
    > "Lem" <> wrote in message

    > > borepstein wasn't being funny either.

    > > Manuals for home/small office wireless networking devices can usually be
    > > found at the manufacturer's web site. It would have helped if you had
    > > given exact model numbers, but if you have a D-Link Airplus ExtremeG
    > > Access Point model DWL-2100AP, then its main product page is here:
    > >http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=292
    > > and its manual is here:
    > >ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwl2100AP/Manual/dwl2100AP_manual_200.zip

    > > If you want to check its configuration, first configure the NIC in your
    > > computer with a static IP in the range 192.168.0.x with a subnet mask of
    > > 255.255.255.0. Then connect the AP via Ethernet cable to your computer,
    > > open a browser, and enter 192.168.0.50 in the address bar. If that
    > > doesn't get you to the AP's login screen, or if you can't login using the
    > > default user name (admin) and default password (leave blank), then reset
    > > the AP to its factory default settings using the reset button on the back
    > > (between the Ethernet jack and the antenna). The manual doesn't say, but
    > > I suggest pressing this button (with a paper clip or the like) for 10-20
    > > seconds.

    > > Smiley wrote:
    > >> Hi there,

    > >> I am not being funny. I don't know how to set it up and have been
    > >> searching for user manual on the internet to start me off but don't seem
    > >> to find any.

    > >> Do I connect the device to my pc or do I plug it in my router ?

    , Aug 2, 2007
  7. Smiley

    Lem Guest

    Smiley,
    I'm not quite sure what the other AP might be. The collection of D-Link
    SOHO wireless networking products is here:
    http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=1&sec=0

    Your "air plus g+ 2.4ghz" probably is a "DWL-G700AP High Speed 2.4GHz
    (802.11g) Wireless Access Point" at
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=326

    If so, the instructions for getting to its configuration utility are the
    same as for the DWL-2100AP.

    If you have an older D-Link Access Point, and can't find it on the
    D-Link site, the instructions still probably will work.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Aug 2, 2007
  8. Smiley

    robert casey Guest

    Smiley wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I am not being funny. I don't know how to set it up and have been searching
    > for user manual on the internet to start me off but don't seem to find any.
    >
    > Do I connect the device to my pc or do I plug it in my router ?

    First, assuming you have a wifi card in your computer, just plug its
    power adapter into power and the access point box, attach antenna(s) to
    the coax connector(s), and then turn it on and let it sit on the other
    side of the room. So a wifi scan with your wifi utility in your PC, and
    if it works it should show up. If you can connect to it (if the
    security features are turned off) you wouldn't be able to get on the net
    just yet, unless you connect the access point to say your cable modem
    with an ethernet cable.

    >>Well, if you go searching for the network and find one then it is
    >>active. Some settings (whether WEP is in use, for instance) will be
    >>displayed for you.

    I think he meant to say what I said above.
    robert casey, Aug 4, 2007
  9. Smiley

    Smiley Guest

    Hi there everyone,

    My post for the update didn't appear to be in. Only found out when checking
    on other forum.

    It work but not without trouble. Have to reset to factory setting and
    changed my domain to a new workgroup. Don't understand why it has to be like
    this. Before factory reset, all I received for pingging is Requet time out.
    After factory reset the same error but with a few more try, it work. Since I
    have reset it to factory setting, all the settings which was programmed on
    them are lost which defeated the original objectives. My line manager want
    me to find out the setting of each AP.

    Many thanks again to everyone. Hope you guys will see this.

    Smiley, Sep 10, 2007