    which has both a USB 2.0 orFirewire connection, and a digital camera
    that is USB 2.0 compatible.

    Thanks ...

    Walden, Feb 6, 2007

  2. Walden <> wrote in news:5lfhs25e02ki09sg0bvb9koui7s0ce9n2b@
    4ax.com:

    > Just added a PCI USB/Firewire adapter card, and would like to run a
    > test to check their read/write speeds to external devices.
    >
    > Could someone please tell me how to do that?
    >
    > For external hardware, I have available an external Maxtor USB drive
    > which has both a USB 2.0 orFirewire connection, and a digital camera
    > that is USB 2.0 compatible.
    >

    > Thanks ...

    If someone does, and you're not getting what the connection(s) are rated,
    then what? Take it back and exchange it?

    Just get a ~100 MB sigle file on your HDD, hook up the external drive by USB
    first and then Firewire next and time the transfers by copying the file over.
    It's all P&P, so you'll see in a few moments.

    Those speeds depend on *so* many variables... your FSB; your processor; the
    type of file... on and on. The speed difference between USB 2.0 and
    firewire is likely to be very negligible in actual application - no matter
    what the quoted "rating" is.

    --

    "I don't care whose pussy you lick
    as long as you vote for tax relief

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Rove

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 6, 2007

  3. Walden

    Walden Guest

    On 06 Feb 2007 18:31:43 GMT, Bucky Breeder
    <> wrote:

    >Walden <> wrote in news:5lfhs25e02ki09sg0bvb9koui7s0ce9n2b@
    >4ax.com:
    >>
    >> Just added a PCI USB/Firewire adapter card, and would like to run a
    >> test to check their read/write speeds to external devices.
    >>
    >> Could someone please tell me how to do that?
    >>
    >> For external hardware, I have available an external Maxtor USB drive
    >> which has both a USB 2.0 orFirewire connection, and a digital camera
    >> that is USB 2.0 compatible.
    >>

    >> Thanks ...

    >If someone does, and you're not getting what the connection(s) are rated,
    >then what? Take it back and exchange it?
    >
    >Just get a ~100 MB sigle file on your HDD, hook up the external drive by USB
    >first and then Firewire next and time the transfers by copying the file over.
    >It's all P&P, so you'll see in a few moments.
    >
    >Those speeds depend on *so* many variables... your FSB; your processor; the
    >type of file... on and on. The speed difference between USB 2.0 and
    >firewire is likely to be very negligible in actual application - no matter
    >what the quoted "rating" is.

    Don't really want to be argumentative, but have you ever heard of the
    term "benchmarking"?

    To follow your first statment to its logical conclusion, why would we
    have to test *anything*? And to answer that question I wolud have to
    partially quote you again, "Take it back ..." but would have to add
    to that , "buy a different one from another vendor."

    In looking at the subject on the Web, I've found many references to
    numbers like 378.5 Mb/sec, and find it hard to believe that they were
    derived using a test file and a stopwatch.

    Walden, Feb 6, 2007
  4. Walden <> wrote in

    > On 06 Feb 2007 18:31:43 GMT, Bucky Breeder
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Walden <> wrote in
    >>news:5lfhs25e02ki09sg0bvb9koui7s0ce9n2b@ 4ax.com:
    >>>
    >>> Just added a PCI USB/Firewire adapter card, and would like to run a
    >>> test to check their read/write speeds to external devices.
    >>>
    >>> Could someone please tell me how to do that?
    >>>
    >>> For external hardware, I have available an external Maxtor USB drive
    >>> which has both a USB 2.0 orFirewire connection, and a digital camera
    >>> that is USB 2.0 compatible.
    >>>

    >>> Thanks ...

    >>If someone does, and you're not getting what the connection(s) are
    >>rated, then what? Take it back and exchange it?
    >>
    >>Just get a ~100 MB sigle file on your HDD, hook up the external drive by
    >>USB first and then Firewire next and time the transfers by copying the
    >>file over. It's all P&P, so you'll see in a few moments.
    >>
    >>Those speeds depend on *so* many variables... your FSB; your processor;
    >>the type of file... on and on. The speed difference between USB 2.0
    >>and firewire is likely to be very negligible in actual application - no
    >>matter what the quoted "rating" is.

    > Don't really want to be argumentative, but have you ever heard of the
    > term "benchmarking"?
    >
    > To follow your first statment to its logical conclusion, why would we
    > have to test *anything*? And to answer that question I wolud have to
    > partially quote you again, "Take it back ..." but would have to add
    > to that , "buy a different one from another vendor."
    >
    > In looking at the subject on the Web, I've found many references to
    > numbers like 378.5 Mb/sec, and find it hard to believe that they were
    > derived using a test file and a stopwatch.

    "Benchmarking" an external combo HDD and a "digital camera that is USB 2.0
    compatible"? I've heard the term "blithering idiot" and now I've seen a
    really good example.

    But, it looks like you know more about it than I do - probably more than
    anybody else too. In order to be "argumentative", you really should have
    an argument. But, I suppose you could argue that if you wanted to...

    >>Those speeds depend on *so* many variables... your FSB; your processor;
    >>the type of file... on and on. The speed difference between USB 2.0
    >>and firewire is likely to be very negligible in actual application - no
    >>matter what the quoted "rating" is.

    --

    A nice technique to keep a mob of peasants from killing your monster
    is when they break into your castle; make them be real quiet: "Shhhhh!"

    Bucky Breeder, Feb 6, 2007
  5. Walden

    Guest

    Walden <> wrote:

    >Just added a PCI USB/Firewire adapter card, and would like to run a
    >test to check their read/write speeds to external devices.
    >
    >Could someone please tell me how to do that?
    >
    >For external hardware, I have available an external Maxtor USB drive
    >which has both a USB 2.0 orFirewire connection, and a digital camera
    >that is USB 2.0 compatible.

    Ah, your looking for a program.

    Google: benchmark PCI USB/Firewire adapter card

    http://www.freshdevices.com/freshdiag.html mayhaps
    --
    Watch The Elegant Universe
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

    , Feb 7, 2007
  6. Walden

    Walden Guest

    On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 18:31:52 -0800, wrote:

    > Walden <> wrote:
    >
    >>Just added a PCI USB/Firewire adapter card, and would like to run a
    >>test to check their read/write speeds to external devices.
    >>
    >>Could someone please tell me how to do that?
    >>
    >>For external hardware, I have available an external Maxtor USB drive
    >>which has both a USB 2.0 orFirewire connection, and a digital camera
    >>that is USB 2.0 compatible.

    >Ah, your looking for a program.
    >
    >Google: benchmark PCI USB/Firewire adapter card
    >
    >http://www.freshdevices.com/freshdiag.html mayhaps

    Yes ... thank you! Sorry if I didn't make that clear. I'm on my way
    to the link you provided right now.

    Walden, Feb 7, 2007