    motherboard to get some sort of electrical signal for
    power on?

    I hope this is clear enough.

    Andy, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Andy

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 13:42:37 GMT, Andy wrote:

    >I have a couple older power supply units. AT style I think.
    >They can't be tested just by plugging them in right?

    Might be true for new ones, but IIRC the pwr good was a signal from the
    PSU to the motherboard.

    >With the older ones, do they need to be plugged into an actual
    >motherboard to get some sort of electrical signal for
    >power on?

    On the P8 / P9 connectors it's the (usually) orange wire -
    signal can be called,

    pwr_good
    power_ok
    pwr_ok

    Should be around +5VDC, but can vary 2.4 to 6

    A bit of www.google.com
    http://www.p9systems.co.uk/pub/cables.html#AT Motherboard Power Connectors

    >I hope this is clear enough.

    :)

    Me

    why?, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Andy

    Frank_G Guest

    a digital voltmeter set to DC should do it - i cant remember which colours
    the black & red probes go into, but if you cant find out post back - I have
    a book somewhere with that info

    --
    xx

    Frank_G, Feb 13, 2004
  4. Andy

    DC Guest

    Frank_G wrote:
    > a digital voltmeter set to DC should do it - i cant remember which colours
    > the black & red probes go into, but if you cant find out post back - I have
    > a book somewhere with that info

    You're not sticking me with any probes, buddy. I don't care what colour
    they are.

    }:O)

    --
    DC Registered Linux User #1000111011000111001

    DC, Feb 13, 2004
  5. Not a direct answer to the OP but here's a way to check an ATX PSU when not
    connected to m/b.
    http://www.virtual-hideout.net/guides/atx_psu_mods/index.shtml
    --

    Kenny

    Kenny Cargill, Feb 13, 2004
  6. Andy

    Professor Guest

    I often use old power supplies to open cdrom drives and all you have to do
    is plug them into a wall socket and plug the drive in or a hard drive also.
    Its the newer ones that need the motherboard.

    Professor, Feb 14, 2004