How to test a network

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by MBell72398, Nov 22, 2003.

  1. MBell72398

    MBell72398 Guest

    What do you guys use to test your networks out (if there is such a tool)?
    I have been working witha customer for quite some time using PPPoE ADSL from
    Alltel in Ga. ABout 3 days a day, they loose internet and the only way to
    restore is to reboot router and modem. I have replaced router and modem,
    changed the telco line card, pair from office to customer, have tested pair for
    any trouble (bridge taps, load coils, any grounds, shorts, high resistance
    opens, etc) (This is when I was still working for the local telco) and still
    have the same problem. I was using a Linksys, then changed to DLink router. The
    customer has around 15 pc's on this network. They have bee bumped up to a tier
    2 (256K upstream, 1.5M downstream). I have the pc's set to obtain IP and DNS
    automatically. I have checked with other customers in the area with the same or
    more number of pc's and they seem to be OK.
    Alltel suggested to me downloading a tool that would log errors in case one of
    the pc's or nics were the culprit. Is there such a tool? If so, what do you
    use?
    Thanks, Mike
    Please remove nospam to email me
    Michael Bell @Bell Electronics
    Rincon, GA.31326

    MBell72398, Nov 22, 2003

  2. MBell72398

    Wizard Guest

    I see this alot and about half of you problems will go away if you put
    the modem and router on an Uninteruptable power supply (UPS). The
    remainder seems to be shitty lines.

    Wizard, Nov 22, 2003