    can disable my Local Area connection. Should I do both, or only one? Is
    there likely to be any problem reestablishing the connection afterward?

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Mar 21, 2008

  2. Neil Harrington

    Barb Bowman Guest

    disabling the Lan connection will stop Internet activity (and
    enabling it should start it again fairly quickly). However, McAfee
    and other programs on your computer that are running will continue
    to use resources. Why don't you add more RAM?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Mar 21, 2008

  3. Neil Harrington

    Neil H. Guest

    Thanks for your reply.

    As for adding more RAM, I already have 2 GB in one WinXP machine and 1 GB in
    the other. My Win2000 system only has 512 MB but that won't be used for very
    demanding games anyway. I plan on disabling McAfee when I go offline and
    maybe Weather Channel too, so they won't be trying to find a connection.

    I should mention that I haven't yet had any problems because I haven't yet
    installed the more demanding games on these computers. But McAfee in
    particular often causes temporary slowdowns in other programs while it's
    updating virus definitions etc., which it does when it feels like it -- so
    I'm anticipating problems with, for example, the newest Flight Simulator
    versions which are said to be quite demanding on hardware, unless I disable
    my connection. I'm not really sure it'll be necessary, but knowing how to
    disconnect will let me either confirm or rule that out as the problem if I
    do have performance problems.

    Thanks again.

    Neil

    Neil H., Mar 21, 2008
  4. Neil Harrington

    John Guest

    "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message
    > The cable modem and access point are always on. Occasionally I would like
    > to temporarily disable the network and Internet connection on one
    > computer, mostly when I am playing a game that's very demanding of
    > computer resources, because I don't want things like my McAfee Security
    > Suite, Weather Channel, etc., coming in and using my CPU and HDD.

    I don't understand your logic here. If you don't want antivirus to consume
    CPU time, why disable internet connection? Why don't you disable your
    antivirus instead?
    John, Mar 21, 2008
  5. Hi
    Antivirus and Weather channel are Not a real factor in slowing down games on
    a decent gaming computer.
    Disconnecting temporarily from the network is very easy, make two batch
    files as described on the middle of this page.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 21, 2008
  6. Hi
    Sorry I forgot the link, http://www.ezlan.net/iprel.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 21, 2008
  7. Thanks, Jack.

    But is there some advantage to using batch files and ipconfig rather than
    just disabling, and later reenabling, the LAN from Control Panel (which
    seems a lot easier)?

    It may well be that McAfee and Weather Channel won't affect the games at
    all, as you suggest. Maybe my concern about this is premature.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Mar 21, 2008
  8. "John" <a> wrote in message news:%...

    > "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message
    >> The cable modem and access point are always on. Occasionally I would like
    >> to temporarily disable the network and Internet connection on one
    >> computer, mostly when I am playing a game that's very demanding of
    >> computer resources, because I don't want things like my McAfee Security
    >> Suite, Weather Channel, etc., coming in and using my CPU and HDD.

    > I don't understand your logic here. If you don't want antivirus to consume
    > CPU time, why disable internet connection? Why don't you disable your
    > antivirus instead?

    I don't want to disable any part of the security suite while I'm still on
    the Internet. It's the downloading and updating of virus definitions and
    some other sorts of updating I'm concerned about using up CPU time, not the
    running of the antivirus itself which I assume goes on mainly in the
    background. McAfee does these downloadings and updates quite often.

    For the time being I'm only using single-player games and have no reason to
    have my Internet connection running on that computer while I'm doing that.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Mar 21, 2008
  9. Neil Harrington

    >> I don't understand your logic here. If you don't want antivirus to
    >> consume CPU time, why disable internet connection? Why don't you disable
    >> your antivirus instead?

    > I don't want to disable any part of the security suite while I'm still on
    > the Internet. It's the downloading and updating of virus definitions and
    > some other sorts of updating I'm concerned about using up CPU time, not
    > the running of the antivirus itself which I assume goes on mainly in the
    > background. McAfee does these downloadings and updates quite often.

    Ok, that makes more sense. However, I think McAfee scheduled updates may
    still attempt to connect until it times out because there's no connectivity.
    Wouldn't it be better to temporarily disable McAfee auto update?

    > For the time being I'm only using single-player games and have no reason
    > to have my Internet connection running on that computer while I'm doing
    > that.

    Disabling internet connection is quite easy. Disable your network card in
    Device Manager. That should do it.
    John, Mar 21, 2008
  10. Neil Harrington

    John Guest

    If it does what you said (update virus definition files every few
    minutes/hours), it may consume CPU + HD time. McAfee downloads virus def,
    unpacks it and may do a little scanning on your HD with the latest virus
    definition.

    John, Mar 21, 2008
  11. Hi
    Disabling it in the control panel is more intrusive to the Network system
    and might create unneeded trouble.
    Disable it with ipconfig /release is the way the release of the network was
    planned, and should be done to avoid troubles.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 21, 2008
  12. Neil Harrington

    John Guest

    The problem is limited account can't release IPs. I know.. I know, limited
    acct can't disable NIC either. Also, I don't know this for sure but I think
    the PC may retry to automatically get an IP from DHCP server in the
    background without us knowing.

    I agree if you have another protocol (NetBEUI), releasing IPs is a great
    idea to disable IP based connection (internet) and continue to use your
    local network uninterrupted.

    John, Mar 21, 2008
  13. "John" <a> wrote in message news:...

    > "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I don't understand your logic here. If you don't want antivirus to
    >>> consume CPU time, why disable internet connection? Why don't you disable
    >>> your antivirus instead?

    >> I don't want to disable any part of the security suite while I'm still on
    >> the Internet. It's the downloading and updating of virus definitions and
    >> some other sorts of updating I'm concerned about using up CPU time, not
    >> the running of the antivirus itself which I assume goes on mainly in the
    >> background. McAfee does these downloadings and updates quite often.

    > Ok, that makes more sense. However, I think McAfee scheduled updates may
    > still attempt to connect until it times out because there's no
    > connectivity. Wouldn't it be better to temporarily disable McAfee auto
    > update?

    Yes, I would do that too, probably just disable the whole McAfee Security
    Suite.

    >> For the time being I'm only using single-player games and have no reason
    >> to have my Internet connection running on that computer while I'm doing
    >> that.

    > Disabling internet connection is quite easy. Disable your network card in
    > Device Manager. That should do it.

    OK, thanks. Would that be better than disabling the LAN in Control Panel, or
    does it amount to the same thing?

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Mar 21, 2008
  14. "John" <a> wrote in message news:%...
    > The problem is limited account can't release IPs. I know.. I know, limited
    > acct can't disable NIC either.

    I'm not sure what "limited account" means. I have an administrator account
    (I guess; I'm the original and only user) -- doesn't that mean mine is not a
    limited account?

    > Also, I don't know this for sure but I think the PC may retry to
    > automatically get an IP from DHCP server in the background without us
    > knowing.
    >
    > I agree if you have another protocol (NetBEUI), releasing IPs is a great
    > idea to disable IP based connection (internet) and continue to use your
    > local network uninterrupted.

    I don't think I'm using NetBEUI. I remember that (vaguely) from back when my
    systems were Win98, but somewhere I got the impression that NetBEUI isn't
    used anymore (whatever it is).

    Sorry for my pitiful ignorance of this stuff, fellas. I can see I'll have to
    learn a lot more about networking.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Mar 21, 2008
  15. BTW, I probably should have mentioned that I just use the wireless router as
    an access point so I can get on the Internet with any of these computers. I
    don't have the computers networked together in any other way; I don't do
    file sharing or printer sharing with them. So I don't know if there's a
    "network system" in the sense you're probably using the term to get into any
    trouble with.

    Does this make any difference in your advice against using the Control Panel
    to disconnect from the Internet?

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Mar 21, 2008
  16. Neil Harrington

    > I'm not sure what "limited account" means. I have an administrator account
    > (I guess; I'm the original and only user) -- doesn't that mean mine is not
    > a limited account?

    I can't remember what it's called in WinXP Pro or Home. I'm looking at XP
    Pro Group membership now. There are 3 types (or more): Standard User (power
    users group), Restricted User (users group), Other (this can be
    Administrators group). I meant to say a Restricted User.

    Administrator account is unrestricted. I don't recommend browsing the
    internet using Administrator account but that's another discussion.

    > I don't think I'm using NetBEUI. I remember that (vaguely) from back when
    > my systems were Win98, but somewhere I got the impression that NetBEUI
    > isn't used anymore (whatever it is).

    Correct. NetBEUI is obsolete but you still can manually install it in WinXP.
    John, Mar 21, 2008
  17. Neil Harrington

    > OK, thanks. Would that be better than disabling the LAN in Control Panel,
    > or does it amount to the same thing?

    I have never tried disabling it from LAN in Network Connection. I supposed
    it is the same as disabling the network card in Device Manager. Try it
    yourself and see what happens to the network card in Device Manager. My
    guess is it will have an icon that indicates it's disabled.
    John, Mar 21, 2008
  18. "John" <a> wrote in message news:%...

    > "Neil Harrington" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I'm not sure what "limited account" means. I have an administrator
    >> account (I guess; I'm the original and only user) -- doesn't that mean
    >> mine is not a limited account?

    > I can't remember what it's called in WinXP Pro or Home. I'm looking at XP
    > Pro Group membership now. There are 3 types (or more): Standard User
    > (power users group), Restricted User (users group), Other (this can be
    > Administrators group). I meant to say a Restricted User.
    >
    > Administrator account is unrestricted. I don't recommend browsing the
    > internet using Administrator account but that's another discussion.

    Really? There are security issues?

    I'd have thought McAfee would be protecting me from any sort of mischief
    since it seems to cover everything -- but what do I know. :-/

    >> I don't think I'm using NetBEUI. I remember that (vaguely) from back when
    >> my systems were Win98, but somewhere I got the impression that NetBEUI
    >> isn't used anymore (whatever it is).

    > Correct. NetBEUI is obsolete but you still can manually install it in
    > WinXP.

    Yes, I saw that described on the site that Jack linked to.

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Mar 21, 2008
  19. Neil Harrington

    >> Administrator account is unrestricted. I don't recommend browsing the
    >> internet using Administrator account but that's another discussion.

    > Really? There are security issues?

    You're kidding, right? If there aren't issues, what are those service packs
    + monthly fixes for?

    > I'd have thought McAfee would be protecting me from any sort of mischief
    > since it seems to cover everything -- but what do I know. :-/

    Having antivirus protection is good but it won't fully protect your PC.
    There isn't any antivirus product out there that'll give you 100%
    protection.
    John, Mar 24, 2008
  20. Neil Harrington

    MarkSatterfield