    numbers are free? For example, 81 was ok, 8081 and 8080 are ok, but 82
    and 83 appear to have some conflict (though still work).

    Many thanks!

    DeanB, Mar 4, 2009

  2. DeanB

    Keyser Söze Guest

    DeanB <> wrote in message
    news::

    > I'm trying to connect a bunch of cameras to a (Linksys WRT54) router,
    > and see them from my office. Aside from randomly choosing different
    > port numbers until each one works, is there a way to see which port
    > numbers are free? For example, 81 was ok, 8081 and 8080 are ok, but 82
    > and 83 appear to have some conflict (though still work).

    Device Manager>View>Resources by connection

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,

    Keyser Söze, Mar 4, 2009

  3. DeanB

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    DeanB wrote:
    > I'm trying to connect a bunch of cameras to a (Linksys WRT54) router,
    > and see them from my office. Aside from randomly choosing different
    > port numbers until each one works, is there a way to see which port
    > numbers are free? For example, 81 was ok, 8081 and 8080 are ok, but 82
    > and 83 appear to have some conflict (though still work).
    >
    > Many thanks!

    Reading between the lines and patching in the missing information I
    think you are saying the following:-

    You have several IP cameras on private IPs behind a NAT router with a
    single public IP.
    To access each camera's web interface remotely via the single public IP
    you need to map various ports such as 80,81,82,83,84 to port 80 on the
    internal IP of each camera. For example:-

    81 - 192.168.0.1:80
    82 - 192.168.0.2:80
    83 - 192.168.0.3:80

    You are finding that you get an error message when you try to open
    certain ports (Although you don't say what or where).

    You also fail to tell us what cameras you are using so I can't
    investigate the manuafacturers site for information on how one might do
    this.

    Firstly I'd set up a VPN if possible and then connect directly to the
    IPs. Secure and simple.

    What services do you have open already on the router for ports 82 & 83?

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 4, 2009
  4. DeanB

    G. Morgan Guest

    Keyser Söze wrote:

    >> I'm trying to connect a bunch of cameras to a (Linksys WRT54) router,
    >> and see them from my office. Aside from randomly choosing different
    >> port numbers until each one works, is there a way to see which port
    >> numbers are free? For example, 81 was ok, 8081 and 8080 are ok, but 82
    >> and 83 appear to have some conflict (though still work).

    >Device Manager>View>Resources by connection

    Nice try, not even close though.

    To the GG'ing OP:

    Try Angry IP Scanner to get a report on ports in use.
    http://www.angryziber.com/w/Home

    See here before choosing your ports for the ipcams.

    G. Morgan, Mar 4, 2009
  5. DeanB

    VanguardLH Guest

    DeanB wrote:

    > ... is there a way to see which port
    > numbers are free? ...

    You can only see which port numbers are in use. You can't see what port
    number will be used by a process until that process gets loaded and
    listens on a port (other than look at the configuration for the
    program).

    SysInternals TCPview
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437.aspx

    VanguardLH, Mar 4, 2009
  6. DeanB

    Keyser Söze Guest

    G. Morgan <> wrote in message

    > Keyser Söze wrote:
    >
    >>> I'm trying to connect a bunch of cameras to a (Linksys WRT54)
    >>> router, and see them from my office. Aside from randomly choosing
    >>> different port numbers until each one works, is there a way to
    >>> see which port numbers are free? For example, 81 was ok, 8081 and
    >>> 8080 are ok, but 82 and 83 appear to have some conflict (though
    >>> still work).

    >> Device Manager>View>Resources by connection

    > Nice try, not even close though.
    >

    > To the GG'ing OP:
    >
    > Try Angry IP Scanner to get a report on ports in use.
    > http://www.angryziber.com/w/Home
    >
    > See here before choosing your ports for the ipcams.
    > http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

    LOL

    --
    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,

    Keyser Söze, Mar 4, 2009
  7. From a cmd window type netstat.

    your time.

    The Real Truth MS MVP, Mar 4, 2009
  8. DeanB

    VanguardLH Guest

    And pcbutts nymshifts again.

    VanguardLH, Mar 5, 2009
  9. WOW! you've figured that out all by yourself, Good job! Now shall we go for
    double jeopardy were the points are doubled!

    your time.

    The Real Truth MS MVP, Mar 5, 2009
  10. DeanB

    Leythos Guest

    In article <4TDrl.19236$>,
    says...
    > *WARNING* Do NOT follow any advice given by the people listed below.
    > They do NOT have the expertise or knowledge to fix your issue. Do not waste
    > your time.
    > David H Lipman, Malke, PA Bear, Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Leythos.

    Chris, Stalking on the internet is a crime, your signature indicates you
    are a sick individual stalking myself as well as others, you have
    warned, again.

    --
    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)
    Public Service Warning: Learn about PCButts before you trust:

    Leythos, Mar 5, 2009
  11. DeanB

    Leythos Guest

    In article <npGrl.2921$>,

    Leythos, Mar 5, 2009
  12. DeanB

    DeanB Guest

    On Mar 4, 12:23 pm, Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    > DeanB wrote:
    > > I'm trying to connect a bunch of cameras to a (Linksys WRT54) router,
    > > and see them from my office. Aside from randomly choosing different
    > > port numbers until each one works, is there a  way to  see which port
    > > numbers are free? For example, 81 was ok, 8081 and 8080 are ok, but 82
    > > and 83 appear to have some conflict (though still work).

    > > Many thanks!

    > Reading between the lines and patching in the missing information I
    > think you are saying the following:-
    >
    > You have several IP cameras on private IPs behind a NAT router with a
    > single public IP.
    > To access each camera's web interface remotely via the single public IP
    > you need to map various ports such as 80,81,82,83,84 to port 80 on the
    > internal IP of each camera. For example:-
    >
    > 81 - 192.168.0.1:80
    > 82 - 192.168.0.2:80
    > 83 - 192.168.0.3:80
    >
    > You are finding that you get an error message when you try to open
    > certain ports (Although you don't say what or where).
    >
    > You also fail to tell us what cameras you are using so I can't
    > investigate the manuafacturers site for information on how one might do
    > this.
    >
    > Firstly I'd set up a VPN if possible and then connect directly to the
    > IPs. Secure and simple.
    >
    > What services do you have open already on the router for ports 82 & 83?

    Hi and thanks for the information!

    Here are a few answers and maybe some more Q's:

    I have:
    1xPanasonic NP1004 on 192.168.1.13:8080, works fine.
    1xPanasonic BLC131 on 192.168.1.253:8081, works fine.
    1xPanasonic BLC111 on 192.168.1.254:81, works fine.
    1xPanasonic BLC111 on 192.168.1.252:82, works fine (though flashing
    amber, some kind of network conflict not sure - manual is not useful).
    and now:
    1xPanasonic NS202A currently on 192.168.1.251:83, but its not
    accessible from my office.

    I can test this easily enough (without travelling) because I have
    gotomypc installed on my office PC so I can log on to there and log on
    back to my cameras, all from home.

    So, all the programs I tested below give me the ports open on one
    machine, but not my cameras. Not sure how this helps me though.
    Here is a snapshot of my router's ports:

    http://i39.tinypic.com/xlwcwh.jpg

    I have a bunch of other servers, an ooma, and other stuff on the
    router, but I don't need to access them from outside my local network.

    Q: I've never set up a VPN, can you recommend me a stable and simple
    one to start with?

    Thank you so much!

    -Dean

    DeanB, Mar 6, 2009
  13. DeanB

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    DeanB wrote:
    > On Mar 4, 12:23 pm, Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    >> DeanB wrote:
    >>> I'm trying to connect a bunch of cameras to a (Linksys WRT54) router,
    >>> and see them from my office. Aside from randomly choosing different
    >>> port numbers until each one works, is there a way to see which port
    >>> numbers are free? For example, 81 was ok, 8081 and 8080 are ok, but 82
    >>> and 83 appear to have some conflict (though still work).
    >>> Many thanks!

    >> Reading between the lines and patching in the missing information I
    >> think you are saying the following:-
    >>
    >> You have several IP cameras on private IPs behind a NAT router with a
    >> single public IP.
    >> To access each camera's web interface remotely via the single public IP
    >> you need to map various ports such as 80,81,82,83,84 to port 80 on the
    >> internal IP of each camera. For example:-
    >>
    >> 81 - 192.168.0.1:80
    >> 82 - 192.168.0.2:80
    >> 83 - 192.168.0.3:80
    >>
    >> You are finding that you get an error message when you try to open
    >> certain ports (Although you don't say what or where).
    >>
    >> You also fail to tell us what cameras you are using so I can't
    >> investigate the manuafacturers site for information on how one might do
    >> this.
    >>
    >> Firstly I'd set up a VPN if possible and then connect directly to the
    >> IPs. Secure and simple.
    >>
    >> What services do you have open already on the router for ports 82 & 83?

    > Hi and thanks for the information!
    >
    > Here are a few answers and maybe some more Q's:
    >
    > I have:
    > 1xPanasonic NP1004 on 192.168.1.13:8080, works fine.
    > 1xPanasonic BLC131 on 192.168.1.253:8081, works fine.
    > 1xPanasonic BLC111 on 192.168.1.254:81, works fine.
    > 1xPanasonic BLC111 on 192.168.1.252:82, works fine (though flashing
    > amber, some kind of network conflict not sure - manual is not useful).
    > and now:
    > 1xPanasonic NS202A currently on 192.168.1.251:83, but its not
    > accessible from my office.
    >
    > I can test this easily enough (without travelling) because I have
    > gotomypc installed on my office PC so I can log on to there and log on
    > back to my cameras, all from home.
    >
    > So, all the programs I tested below give me the ports open on one
    > machine, but not my cameras. Not sure how this helps me though.
    > Here is a snapshot of my router's ports:
    >
    > http://i39.tinypic.com/xlwcwh.jpg
    >
    > I have a bunch of other servers, an ooma, and other stuff on the
    > router, but I don't need to access them from outside my local network.

    I've had a look at the router manual and I have to say it is a shite
    router. The NAT facility is broken and is useless for the application
    you are trying to use it for.

    This is how I'd do it.

    Each camera should have it's own unique fixed IP and the internal web
    server should be left on port 80.

    Using a router that does proper NAT you would open port 8081 to port 80
    on 192.168.1.13, port 8082 to port 80 on 192.168.1.253 etc. etc. etc.

    From inside all the camera are accessible via their IP without changing
    the port number. From outside you will attach to the public IP and
    append the port you need for the camera.

    This will work.

    > Q: I've never set up a VPN, can you recommend me a stable and simple
    > one to start with?

    Buy a server.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 6, 2009
  14. DeanB

    DeanB Guest

    On Mar 6, 4:40 am, Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    > DeanB wrote:
    > >> Reading between the lines and patching in the missing information I
    > >> think you are saying the following:-

    > >> You have several IP cameras on private IPs behind a NAT router with a
    > >> single public IP.
    > >> To access each camera's web interface remotely via the single public IP
    > >> you need to map various ports such as 80,81,82,83,84 to port 80 on the
    > >> internal IP of each camera. For example:-

    > >> 81 - 192.168.0.1:80
    > >> 82 - 192.168.0.2:80
    > >> 83 - 192.168.0.3:80

    > >> You are finding that you get an error message when you try to open
    > >> certain ports (Although you don't say what or where).

    > >> You also fail to tell us what cameras you are using so I can't
    > >> investigate the manuafacturers site for information on how one might do
    > >> this.

    > >> Firstly I'd set up a VPN if possible and then connect directly to the
    > >> IPs. Secure and simple.

    > >> What services do you have open already on the router for ports 82 & 83?

    > > Hi and thanks for the information!

    > > Here are a few answers and maybe some more Q's:

    > > I have:
    > > 1xPanasonic NP1004 on 192.168.1.13:8080, works fine.
    > > 1xPanasonic BLC131 on 192.168.1.253:8081, works fine.
    > > 1xPanasonic BLC111 on 192.168.1.254:81, works fine.
    > > 1xPanasonic BLC111 on 192.168.1.252:82, works fine (though flashing
    > > amber, some kind of network conflict not sure - manual is not useful).
    > > and now:
    > > 1xPanasonic NS202A currently on 192.168.1.251:83, but its not
    > > accessible from my office.

    > > I can test this easily enough (without travelling) because I have
    > > gotomypc installed on my office PC so I can log on to there and log on
    > > back to my cameras, all from home.

    > > So, all the programs I tested below give me the ports open on one
    > > machine, but not my cameras. Not sure how this helps me though.
    > > Here is a snapshot of my router's ports:

    > >http://i39.tinypic.com/xlwcwh.jpg

    > > I have a bunch of other servers, an ooma, and other stuff on the
    > > router, but I don't need to access them from outside my local network.

    > I've had a look at the router manual and I have to say it is a shite
    > router. The NAT facility is broken and is useless for the application
    > you are trying to use it for.
    >
    > This is how I'd do it.
    >
    > Each camera should have it's own unique fixed IP and the internal web
    > server should be left on port 80.
    >
    > Using a router that does proper NAT you would open port 8081 to port 80
    > on 192.168.1.13, port 8082 to port 80 on 192.168.1.253 etc. etc. etc.
    >
    >  From inside all the camera are accessible via their IP without changing
    > the port number. From outside you will attach to the public IP and
    > append the port you need for the camera.
    >
    > This will work.
    >
    > > Q: I've never set up a VPN, can you recommend me a stable and simple
    > > one to start with?

    > Buy a server.- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks again, I'm beginning to understand something.
    Isn't that the way the router is set up right now? For example port 82
    is being forwarded to IP 192.168.1.252?
    The only thing I did different is I set the port number to 82 on the
    camera itself - if I understand correctly I should leave it as 80?

    Oh - for the VPN server you mention - are you talking about a machine
    or a software package?

    DeanB, Mar 6, 2009
  15. DeanB

> [...]

    > > router, but I don't need to access them from outside my local network.

    > I've had a look at the router manual and I have to say it is a shite
    > router. The NAT facility is broken and is useless for the application
    > you are trying to use it for.
    >
    > This is how I'd do it.
    >
    > Each camera should have it's own unique fixed IP and the internal web
    > server should be left on port 80.
    >
    > Using a router that does proper NAT you would open port 8081 to port 80
    > on 192.168.1.13, port 8082 to port 80 on 192.168.1.253 etc. etc. etc.
    >
    >  From inside all the camera are accessible via their IP without changing
    > the port number. From outside you will attach to the public IP and
    > append the port you need for the camera.
    >
    > This will work.
    >
    > > Q: I've never set up a VPN, can you recommend me a stable and simple

    I've narrowed one problem down a little too: I can see any of my
    cameras if I set it to port 82, and use 82 at work. But I cannot use
    83 - all else being equal. Do you think port 83 is not allowed over
    the office network, or do you think I have some conflict on port 83 at
    home?

    DeanB, Mar 6, 2009
  16. Your router needs a firmware update.

    your time.

    The Real Truth MS MVP, Mar 6, 2009
  17. DeanB

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    DeanB wrote:
    > On Mar 6, 4:40 am, Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    >> DeanB wrote:
    >>> Hi and thanks for the information!
    >>> Here are a few answers and maybe some more Q's:
    >>> I have:
    >>> 1xPanasonic NP1004 on 192.168.1.13:8080, works fine.
    >>> 1xPanasonic BLC131 on 192.168.1.253:8081, works fine.
    >>> 1xPanasonic BLC111 on 192.168.1.254:81, works fine.
    >>> 1xPanasonic BLC111 on 192.168.1.252:82, works fine (though flashing
    >>> amber, some kind of network conflict not sure - manual is not useful).
    >>> and now:
    >>> 1xPanasonic NS202A currently on 192.168.1.251:83, but its not
    >>> accessible from my office.
    >>> I can test this easily enough (without travelling) because I have
    >>> gotomypc installed on my office PC so I can log on to there and log on
    >>> back to my cameras, all from home.
    >>> So, all the programs I tested below give me the ports open on one
    >>> machine, but not my cameras. Not sure how this helps me though.
    >>> Here is a snapshot of my router's ports:
    >>> http://i39.tinypic.com/xlwcwh.jpg
    >>> I have a bunch of other servers, an ooma, and other stuff on the
    >>> router, but I don't need to access them from outside my local network.

    >> I've had a look at the router manual and I have to say it is a shite
    >> router. The NAT facility is broken and is useless for the application
    >> you are trying to use it for.
    >>
    >> This is how I'd do it.
    >>
    >> Each camera should have it's own unique fixed IP and the internal web
    >> server should be left on port 80.
    >>
    >> Using a router that does proper NAT you would open port 8081 to port 80
    >> on 192.168.1.13, port 8082 to port 80 on 192.168.1.253 etc. etc. etc.
    >>
    >> From inside all the camera are accessible via their IP without changing
    >> the port number. From outside you will attach to the public IP and
    >> append the port you need for the camera.
    >>
    >> This will work.
    >>
    >>> Q: I've never set up a VPN, can you recommend me a stable and simple
    >>> one to start with?

    >> Buy a server.- Hide quoted text -

    > I've narrowed one problem down a little too: I can see any of my
    > cameras if I set it to port 82, and use 82 at work. But I cannot use
    > 83 - all else being equal. Do you think port 83 is not allowed over
    > the office network, or do you think I have some conflict on port 83 at
    > home?

    I think you are getting out of your depth. Get a local expert in to
    advise you.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 6, 2009
  18. DeanB

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    DeanB wrote:
    > On Mar 6, 4:40 am, Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    >> DeanB wrote:
    >>> Hi and thanks for the information!
    >>> Here are a few answers and maybe some more Q's:
    >>> I have:
    >>> 1xPanasonic NP1004 on 192.168.1.13:8080, works fine.
    >>> 1xPanasonic BLC131 on 192.168.1.253:8081, works fine.
    >>> 1xPanasonic BLC111 on 192.168.1.254:81, works fine.
    >>> 1xPanasonic BLC111 on 192.168.1.252:82, works fine (though flashing
    >>> amber, some kind of network conflict not sure - manual is not useful).
    >>> and now:
    >>> 1xPanasonic NS202A currently on 192.168.1.251:83, but its not
    >>> accessible from my office.
    >>> I can test this easily enough (without travelling) because I have
    >>> gotomypc installed on my office PC so I can log on to there and log on
    >>> back to my cameras, all from home.
    >>> So, all the programs I tested below give me the ports open on one
    >>> machine, but not my cameras. Not sure how this helps me though.
    >>> Here is a snapshot of my router's ports:
    >>> http://i39.tinypic.com/xlwcwh.jpg
    >>> I have a bunch of other servers, an ooma, and other stuff on the
    >>> router, but I don't need to access them from outside my local network.

    >> I've had a look at the router manual and I have to say it is a shite
    >> router. The NAT facility is broken and is useless for the application
    >> you are trying to use it for.
    >>
    >> This is how I'd do it.
    >>
    >> Each camera should have it's own unique fixed IP and the internal web
    >> server should be left on port 80.
    >>
    >> Using a router that does proper NAT you would open port 8081 to port 80
    >> on 192.168.1.13, port 8082 to port 80 on 192.168.1.253 etc. etc. etc.
    >>
    >> From inside all the camera are accessible via their IP without changing
    >> the port number. From outside you will attach to the public IP and
    >> append the port you need for the camera.
    >>
    >> This will work.
    >>
    >>> Q: I've never set up a VPN, can you recommend me a stable and simple
    >>> one to start with?

    >> Buy a server.- Hide quoted text -

    > Thanks again, I'm beginning to understand something.
    > Isn't that the way the router is set up right now? For example port 82
    > is being forwarded to IP 192.168.1.252?

    No. That is completely different.

    > The only thing I did different is I set the port number to 82 on the
    > camera itself - if I understand correctly I should leave it as 80?

    Yes leave the camera on 80 and open different ports on the outside to
    map to port 80 on the different IPs inside. That is how standard NAT
    works. Unfortunately your crappy router is limited and won't allow you
    to do that.

    > Oh - for the VPN server you mention - are you talking about a machine
    > or a software package?

    A machine. If you had to ask you need to seek a professional.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 6, 2009
  19. DeanB

    DeanB Guest

    On Mar 6, 12:58 pm, Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    > DeanB wrote:
    > >> I've had a look at the router manual and I have to say it is a shite
    > >> router. The NAT facility is broken and is useless for the application
    > >> you are trying to use it for.

    > >> This is how I'd do it.

    > >> Each camera should have it's own unique fixed IP and the internal web
    > >> server should be left on port 80.

    > >> Using a router that does proper NAT you would open port 8081 to port 80
    > >> on 192.168.1.13, port 8082 to port 80 on 192.168.1.253 etc. etc. etc.

    > >>  From inside all the camera are accessible via their IP without changing
    > >> the port number. From outside you will attach to the public IP and
    > >> append the port you need for the camera.

    > >> This will work.

    > >> Buy a server.- Hide quoted text -

    > > Thanks again, I'm beginning to understand something.
    > > Isn't that the way the router is set up right now? For example port 82
    > > is being forwarded to IP 192.168.1.252?

    > No. That is completely different.
    >
    > > The only thing I did different is I set the port number to 82 on the
    > > camera itself - if I understand correctly I should leave it as 80?

    > Yes leave the camera on 80 and open different ports on the outside to
    > map to port 80 on the different IPs inside. That is how standard NAT
    > works. Unfortunately your crappy router is limited and won't allow you
    > to do that.
    >

    > > Oh - for the VPN server you mention - are you talking about a machine
    > > or a software package?

    > A machine. If you had to ask you need to seek a professional.- Hide quoted text -

    I am seeking a professional:)

    So what is my router meaning then, when it says port range 82 to 82 is
    assigned to some IP address? You're saying we need a way to convert a
    port to an IP address, isn't this doing just that?

    DeanB, Mar 6, 2009
  20. DeanB

    Keyser Söze Guest

    DeanB <> wrote in message

    > I am seeking a professional:)

    No Pro's here, hooking's the game... ten dorrars a day! ;->

    --
    Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to
    an understanding of ourselves. Jung

    In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties,

    Keyser Söze, Mar 6, 2009