How to tell where a 'Flash' advert is coming from (so I can block it)?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Oct 27, 2005.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi,

    When a webpage contains an advert, I can normally right click on it,
    and find the domain it is being sourced from (say, ads.adcompany.com).

    I can then add that site to my hosts file to redirect to localhost and
    never see ads from there again (plus the pages load faster).

    However, where the ad is a Macromedia Flash thing, I cannot right
    click and find out the source - or can I?

    Anyone know how to do that?

    Thanks,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address

    Alan, Oct 27, 2005

  2. Alan

    EMB Guest

    Re: How to tell where a 'Flash' advert is coming from (so I can blockit)?

    Alan wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > When a webpage contains an advert, I can normally right click on it,
    > and find the domain it is being sourced from (say, ads.adcompany.com).
    >
    > I can then add that site to my hosts file to redirect to localhost and
    > never see ads from there again (plus the pages load faster).
    >
    > However, where the ad is a Macromedia Flash thing, I cannot right
    > click and find out the source - or can I?
    >
    > Anyone know how to do that?

    View the page source and have a look for the URL. A search through the
    source for swf should make it fairly easy to find.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Oct 27, 2005

  3. Re: How to tell where a 'Flash' advert is coming from (so I can blockit)?

    Alan wrote:
    > When a webpage contains an advert, I can normally right click on it,
    > and find the domain it is being sourced from (say, ads.adcompany.com).

    Firefox and adblock, then all you have to do is click on "Block" next to
    the flash ad and you can block that domain.

    > However, where the ad is a Macromedia Flash thing, I cannot right
    > click and find out the source - or can I?

    Yes, view the source of the HTML page and drill through until you find
    the location the .swf is being loaded from. Not fun.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Oct 27, 2005
  4. Alan

    David Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > Alan wrote:
    >
    >> When a webpage contains an advert, I can normally right click on it,
    >> and find the domain it is being sourced from (say, ads.adcompany.com).

    > Firefox and adblock, then all you have to do is click on "Block" next to
    > the flash ad and you can block that domain.

    works well. and saves slowing down DNS lookups by clogging up HOSTS

    >> However, where the ad is a Macromedia Flash thing, I cannot right
    >> click and find out the source - or can I?

    > Yes, view the source of the HTML page and drill through until you find
    > the location the .swf is being loaded from. Not fun.

    and often its included from an external .js file

    David, Oct 27, 2005