    could find it in the Task Manager, but it finishes too quickly for
    this.

    Ken
    Ken Hall, Dec 2, 2004

  2. In article <>, on Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:25:17 -0600, Ken
    Hall <> wrote:

    | About a month ago something began running in the background
    | periodically. Every hour of so a program starts, runs for 3-4 seconds
    | and terminates. How can I figure out what this is? It's not listed
    | in my list of programs that run at startup. If it continued running I
    | could find it in the Task Manager, but it finishes too quickly for
    | this.

    I had that for a while. It turned out to be the ms install program
    (which brielfy popped up a status box for a second or so).

    I was never able to figure out exactly what it was trying to install.

    Perhaps it was a ms patch post boot install routine that was unable to
    finish for some reason.

    Just as mysteriously it went away again ... after a few weeks IIRC.

    <davidp />

    --
    David Postill
    David Postill, Dec 2, 2004

  3. Ken Hall

    donnie Guest

    <> wrote:

    >About a month ago something began running in the background
    >periodically. Every hour of so a program starts, runs for 3-4 seconds
    >and terminates. How can I figure out what this is? It's not listed
    >in my list of programs that run at startup. If it continued running I
    >could find it in the Task Manager, but it finishes too quickly for
    >this.
    >
    >Ken

    ######################
    It sounds like a batch file off the top of my head. Search for
    *.bat Check the list. Use google if needed.
    donnie.
    donnie, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Ken Hall

    Chuck Guest

    wrote:

    >About a month ago something began running in the background
    >periodically. Every hour of so a program starts, runs for 3-4 seconds
    >and terminates. How can I figure out what this is? It's not listed
    >in my list of programs that run at startup. If it continued running I
    >could find it in the Task Manager, but it finishes too quickly for
    >this.
    >
    >Ken

    Ken,

    Try Process Explorer (free) from
    <http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml>. Provides way more
    information than Task Manager, plus you can configure it to highlight processes
    starting up, and sort the running list by process start time.

    Also Autoruns (also from SysInternals, and free) will give you a comprehensive
    list of all processes automatically started on your system.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    Chuck, Dec 3, 2004