how to tell if a number if voip?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by sergio Fernandez, May 15, 2005.

  1. is there a way to tell if a number is a regular phone number or a voip based
    phone number?

    sergio Fernandez, May 15, 2005

  2. sergio Fernandez

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "sergio Fernandez" <> wrote in message
    news:1Dvhe.213786$...
    > is there a way to tell if a number is a regular phone number or a voip
    > based
    > phone number?

    No. It's possible to hazard a guess if the provider uses a certain range
    of numbers in a given area, but as number portability is beginning to
    happen in the VoIP world, it's not certain.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 15, 2005

  3. "sergio Fernandez" <> wrote:
    > is there a way to tell if a number is a regular phone number or a voip
    > based
    > phone number?

    If there is an "ENUM" entry in the e164.arpa domain than it should tell you
    the properties of the number, but if there is no entry, it does not mean
    that it is NOT a VoIP number.

    Christian

    Christian Barmala, May 15, 2005
  4. Christian Barmala wrote:

    > If there is an "ENUM" entry in the e164.arpa domain than it should tell you
    > the properties of the number, but if there is no entry, it does not mean
    > that it is NOT a VoIP number.

    And if there _is_ an ENUM entry for a specific number, it doesn't mean
    that a call to that number from a POTS line will be IP terminated either.

    Tor

    Tor-Einar Jarnbjo, May 15, 2005
  5. "Tor-Einar Jarnbjo" <> :
    > Christian Barmala wrote:
    >
    >> If there is an "ENUM" entry in the e164.arpa domain than it should tell
    >> you the properties of the number, but if there is no entry, it does not
    >> mean that it is NOT a VoIP number.

    > And if there _is_ an ENUM entry for a specific number, it doesn't mean
    > that a call to that number from a POTS line will be IP terminated either.

    That's why I said "it should tell you about the properties". The entry could
    read "sip:...", in which cas it is reasonable to assume IP termination, even
    though this is no strict proof, but it could also read "tel:..." in which
    case you should assume POTS.

    Christian

    Christian Barmala, May 15, 2005