    What practical ways can this important message of the server needing to be
    isolated be conveyed?

    Thanks for helping me learn how to teach this topic
    Brian, Jul 11, 2006

  2. Brian

    Noel Paton Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    news:IMKsg.27029$...
    > You may have been following the prior posts regarding the $9,000 software
    > I've been bestowed upon to get working because it was purchased without
    > knowing how it ran and that we didn't have the services to run it.
    >
    > A student computer has been converted to a server and things are going
    > great. The boss wants to maintain the same computer, now a server, as a
    > basic use computer, ie www/email. In reality, its only a computer student
    > help use to, in addition to www/email, play games (flash, intense download
    > games), download torrents, etc.
    >
    > How can the fact be instilled in the boss's mind that this is a server and
    > needs to be isolated, ie NO use by anyone for any purpose? He doesn't
    > fully understand computers and equipment, and I am not the best
    > teacher/explainer.
    >
    > What practical ways can this important message of the server needing to be
    > isolated be conveyed?
    >
    > Thanks for helping me learn how to teach this topic

    Try putting it in cash terms

    - point out that the PC is now worth upwards of $20K...does he really want
    people playing games on it?

    - does he want to spend another $3K every time the server goes down? - which
    is likely to be every day???

    How much is your data worth? - is it on RAID 5 or better? if not, you WILL
    lose data when the system crashes - and the more thrashing it gets because
    of local access, the more likely it is to crash.

    Servers are a whole different ballgame to clients - maintenance costs are
    10x higher, so you need to minimise maintenance.... prime way to do that is
    that you only allow remote client access except for pure Admin tasks

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Jul 11, 2006

  3. Brian

    Gordon Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message

    > What practical ways can this important message of the server needing to be
    > isolated be conveyed?

    Convert to a Linux server with no gui. That'll stump him.
    Gordon, Jul 11, 2006
  4. Brian

    Brian Guest

    The new software doesn't run on linux. Required windows server.

    Great idea, though!

    Brian, Jul 11, 2006
  5. Brian

    Meat Plow Guest

    Tell him to stay the **** off of it.
    --
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Jul 11, 2006
  6. Brian

    JANA Guest

    Let him crash it in a way where it will cost him a lot of money to get it
    back up and running!

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jul 11, 2006
  7. Brian

    Leythos Guest

    In article <IMKsg.27029$>,
    says...
    > You may have been following the prior posts regarding the $9,000 software
    > I've been bestowed upon to get working because it was purchased without
    > knowing how it ran and that we didn't have the services to run it.
    >
    > A student computer has been converted to a server and things are going
    > great. The boss wants to maintain the same computer, now a server, as a
    > basic use computer, ie www/email. In reality, its only a computer student
    > help use to, in addition to www/email, play games (flash, intense download
    > games), download torrents, etc.
    >
    > How can the fact be instilled in the boss's mind that this is a server and
    > needs to be isolated, ie NO use by anyone for any purpose? He doesn't fully
    > understand computers and equipment, and I am not the best teacher/explainer.
    >
    > What practical ways can this important message of the server needing to be
    > isolated be conveyed?
    >
    > Thanks for helping me learn how to teach this topic

    I agree with another poster, if he's set on allowing someone to use the
    server as a workstation, then just let it happen and when it crashes
    he'll learn.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Jul 11, 2006
  8. Brian

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-07-11, Brian <> wrote:
    > You may have been following the prior posts regarding the $9,000 software
    > I've been bestowed upon to get working because it was purchased without
    > knowing how it ran and that we didn't have the services to run it.
    >
    > A student computer has been converted to a server and things are going
    > great. The boss wants to maintain the same computer, now a server, as a
    > basic use computer, ie www/email. In reality, its only a computer student
    > help use to, in addition to www/email, play games (flash, intense download
    > games), download torrents, etc.
    >
    > How can the fact be instilled in the boss's mind that this is a server and
    > needs to be isolated, ie NO use by anyone for any purpose? He doesn't fully
    > understand computers and equipment, and I am not the best teacher/explainer.
    >
    > What practical ways can this important message of the server needing to be
    > isolated be conveyed?
    >
    > Thanks for helping me learn how to teach this topic

    Take away the monitor and keyboard attached to the server. The
    administrator should be able to access the machine for maintenance by using
    telnet or (better) SSH over the network.

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jul 11, 2006