    your face.

    I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them away
    from your body. Any hints?
    dosferatu, Apr 8, 2008

  2. dosferatu

    Paul Heslop Guest

    dosferatu wrote:

    > I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera against
    > your face.
    >
    > I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them away
    > from your body. Any hints?

    um, you only HAVE to hold them away to use the lcd screen. if there's
    an optical or digital viewer try using that instead.

    --
    Paul (We won't die of devotion)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Apr 8, 2008

  3. dosferatu

    ray Guest

    On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:23:00 -0400, dosferatu wrote:

    > I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera
    > against your face.
    >
    > I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them
    > away from your body. Any hints?

    Yes. Don't get one. I've had three digital cameras and the wife, two. All
    of them have viewfinders. I'm not going to go that route either. I could
    do quite well with no back panel LCD at all.
    ray, Apr 8, 2008
  4. dosferatu

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "dosferatu" <> wrote in message
    > I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera against
    > your face.
    >
    > I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them
    > away from your body. Any hints?

    I know where you're coming from. I had similar problems when I first picked
    up one of these feather-weight, LCD equipped little monsters.

    In my case, I have a Canon A720 IS and a Fujifilm E510. The Canon has image
    stabilization while the Fuji doesn't. I have to say that the image
    stabilization feature helps a great deal but, since I tend to like shooting
    at ISO100 to cut down on noise, I still find the need to hold my breath and
    adopt the statue posture quite often.

    Here's how I've adapted.

    Given the size of my camera and it's itty bitty, always moving lens, I found
    it psychologically necessary to add the optional lens adapter for most
    shots. The size and shape of the adapter makes it ideal as a lens hood, and
    it adds something semi-rigid to the front of the camera for me to widen my
    grip. With the adapter / lens hood attached, I've switched supporting the
    weight of the camera from my left hand to my right. I position my left hand
    so that my little finger and ring finger are curled slightly, and resst
    against the adapter / lens hood at about 10 or 11 o'clock. The tips of my
    index and pointing finger of my left hand are positioned at the top left
    corner of the camera body. My left thum slides under the camera near the
    left edge and is used to partially support the camera's weight, and to
    control the orientation of the camera body around the axis of the lens.

    I cup my right hand a bit so that I can take the bulk of the camera's weight
    on my right palm. The little finger and ring finger of this hand are curled
    around so that the backs of these fingers can slide under the adapter / lens
    hood in order to help stabilize any forward / backward tilt. The right
    index finger curls around the camera's protruding grip, and, of course, the
    right pointing finger is used to slowly press down on the shutter release.
    My right thumb is positioned on the back of the camera, near the top right
    corner. I use it, in conjuntion with my right pinky and ring finger to
    control the forward / backward tilt.

    At faster shutter speeds, there is no real problem with camera shake,
    especially with my Canon, but, when I am shooting slowly, I try to sit down
    and prop my hands on my knees. This allows me to position my forearms in a
    nearly vertical alignment. This helps to compensate for the loss of being
    able to press the camera to my face, since I find the viewfinder unusable.
    Also, since I can't make out much of what is displayed in the LCD display
    either, it allows me to put my head behind the camera and use audible
    feedback and my imagination to aim and frame my subject.

    In your case, you should have the option to either use the traditional
    viewfinder (if your camera is so equipped), or to position yourself so that
    you can see what is in the LCD without having to angle your arms too much.

    I find that it is when my forearms start to drift away from the
    perpendicular that I start to have problems with keeping the camera steady.
    As long as I can keep my forearms on the straight up-and-up I do fairly
    well.

    When standing, it helps to rest your elbows on a fence, vehicle fender /
    roof, window ledge, or just to prop yourself against a tree, poll or
    something similar. My white cane comes in handy here; I can place it under
    one of my elbows, and it becomes a quick, "down-and-dirty" monopod. Sounds
    crazy, but it works.

    I hope this helps,
    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Apr 8, 2008
  5. On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 20:36:05 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:
    > dosferatu wrote:
    >>
    >> I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera against
    >> your face.
    >>
    >> I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them away
    >> from your body. Any hints?

    > um, you only HAVE to hold them away to use the lcd screen.

    um, not so.

    I can take off my glasses and damn near brace the camera on the end of
    my nose and use the LCD. But, I wouldn't recommend _that_ 'special
    situation' to anyone else. :)
    Allodoxaphobia, Apr 9, 2008
  6. dosferatu

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 20:36:05 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > dosferatu wrote:
    > >>
    > >> I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera against
    > >> your face.
    > >>
    > >> I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them away
    > >> from your body. Any hints?

    > > um, you only HAVE to hold them away to use the lcd screen.

    > um, not so.
    >
    > I can take off my glasses and damn near brace the camera on the end of
    > my nose and use the LCD. But, I wouldn't recommend _that_ 'special
    > situation' to anyone else. :)

    :O))

    Paul Heslop, Apr 9, 2008
  7. "dosferatu" <> wrote:
    >I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera against
    >your face.
    >I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them away
    >from your body. Any hints?

    You are confusing digital (electronic sensor instead of film) with live
    view (LCD instead of viewfinder). Unfortunately many manufacturers are
    confused, too, and there are fewer and fewer digital (non-SLR) cameras
    with a viewfinder. Get one as long as that bread is not extinguished
    yet.
    Jürgen Exner, Apr 9, 2008
  8. ray wrote:

    > Yes. Don't get one. I've had three digital cameras and the wife, two.

    Sounds like a busy day. :)

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Apr 9, 2008
  9. dosferatu wrote:
    > I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera
    > against your face.
    >
    > I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold
    > them away from your body. Any hints?

    My DSLR works in a very similar way to my film SLR, except it's a lot
    lighter! I hold it just the same. Before I had the DSLR, I had cameras
    with electronic viewfinders (EVFs), and held them in a similar way to my
    film SLRs.

    I do have a couple of LCD-only compact cameras, and I try and hold them as
    steady as possible. Both have image stabilisation.

    Hint: buy cameras which suit the way you want to work.

    David
    David J Taylor, Apr 9, 2008
  10. Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 20:36:05 GMT, Paul Heslop wrote:
    >> dosferatu wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera
    >>> against your face.
    >>>
    >>> I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold
    >>> them away from your body. Any hints?

    >> um, you only HAVE to hold them away to use the lcd screen.

    > um, not so.
    >
    > I can take off my glasses and damn near brace the camera on the end of
    > my nose and use the LCD. But, I wouldn't recommend _that_ 'special
    > situation' to anyone else. :)

    Same here - very convenient!

    David
    David J Taylor, Apr 9, 2008
  11. David J Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    > Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    >>> um, you only HAVE to hold them away to use the lcd screen.

    >> um, not so.
    >>
    >> I can take off my glasses and damn near brace the camera on the end of
    >> my nose and use the LCD. But, I wouldn't recommend _that_ 'special
    >> situation' to anyone else. :)

    > Same here - very convenient!

    Even more convenient of like me you have a nose which can used as a
    spectacle focussing ramp, and can just slide them out of the way :)

    LCDs supply a lot more useful detail when you can easily see down to
    the pixel level.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]
    Chris Malcolm, Apr 9, 2008
  12. dosferatu

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Chris Malcolm wrote:

    > David J Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:
    > > Allodoxaphobia wrote:

    > >> um, not so.
    > >>
    > >> I can take off my glasses and damn near brace the camera on the end of
    > >> my nose and use the LCD. But, I wouldn't recommend _that_ 'special
    > >> situation' to anyone else. :)

    > > Same here - very convenient!

    > Even more convenient of like me you have a nose which can used as a
    > spectacle focussing ramp, and can just slide them out of the way :)
    >
    > LCDs supply a lot more useful detail when you can easily see down to
    > the pixel level.

    sadly my nose is more of an obstruction than an aid :O))

    Paul Heslop, Apr 9, 2008
  13. dosferatu

    Marvin Guest

    dosferatu wrote:
    > I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera against
    > your face.
    >
    > I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them away
    > from your body. Any hints?

    If the camera is on a neck strap, tension on the strap will
    help. If your camera has image stabilization,turn it on. A
    monopod is useful. In bright light, you should have no
    trouble anyway.
    Marvin, Apr 9, 2008
  14. dosferatu

    Guest

    On Apr 8, 1:36 pm, Paul Heslop <> wrote:
    > dosferatu wrote:
    >
    > > I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera against
    > > your face.

    > > I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them away
    > > from your body. Any hints?

    > um, you only HAVE to hold them away to use the lcd screen. if there's
    > an optical or digital viewer try using that instead.
    >
    > --
    > Paul  (We won't die of devotion)
    > Stop and Lookhttp://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    Agreed. Holding them away from your body un-steadies the shot, and is
    generally just akward.

    Adam
    Do something good today. Protect our national fresh water supply with
    just a click! - The National Water Conservatory
    http://waterforever.blogspot.com/
    , Apr 9, 2008
  15. On Apr 8, 3:23 pm, "dosferatu" <> wrote:
    > I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera against
    > your face.
    >
    > I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them away
    > from your body. Any hints?

    If you are REALLY old school, you always use a tripod.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Apr 9, 2008
  16. dosferatu

    canon.user Guest

    On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 16:23:00 -0400 'dosferatu'
    wrote this on rec.photo.digital:

    >I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera against
    >your face.
    >
    >I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them away
    >from your body. Any hints?

    The biggest problem I encounter using a digital camera is that my
    pix are not level and have to be straightened up with software on
    the PC (PhotoFiltre). Old film cameras like mine (Canon EOS) were
    much easier to take pix which are level and better framed.

    Even if the pocket digital has a viewfinder, it might not be TTL,
    so will not take a WYSIWYG picture.

    Apart from that, I wouldn't go back!
    canon.user, Apr 9, 2008
  17. dosferatu

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote

    > Well, I did for years, but I am about as likely to go back to that as I am
    > to go back to riding a bicycle for transportation.

    Given the price of petrol this morning, we all might have to!

    Paul
    Paul Bartram, Apr 10, 2008
  18. canon.user wrote:
    []
    > The biggest problem I encounter using a digital camera is that my
    > pix are not level and have to be straightened up with software on
    > the PC (PhotoFiltre). Old film cameras like mine (Canon EOS) were
    > much easier to take pix which are level and better framed.

    Why not turn on the gridlines in the viewfinder?

    > Even if the pocket digital has a viewfinder, it might not be TTL,
    > so will not take a WYSIWYG picture.
    >
    > Apart from that, I wouldn't go back!

    All LCD and EVF finders are "TTL". Optical finders are, at best, a
    compromise and at worst, misleading (e.g. field-of-view and parallax).

    David
    David J Taylor, Apr 10, 2008
  19. canon.user <canon.user@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    > On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 16:23:00 -0400 'dosferatu'
    > wrote this on rec.photo.digital:

    >>I'm old school, heavy SLR's with fast glass. Elbows in and camera against
    >>your face.
    >>
    >>I just can't get used to these new cameras where you have to hold them away
    >>from your body. Any hints?

    > The biggest problem I encounter using a digital camera is that my
    > pix are not level and have to be straightened up with software on
    > the PC (PhotoFiltre). Old film cameras like mine (Canon EOS) were
    > much easier to take pix which are level and better framed.

    DSLRs are often less symmetrical in shape than older film SLRs. which
    makes it harder to hold them straight with two hands just by "feel",
    so you have to do it purely optically. If the LCD allows a grid to be
    projected on the image that makes it easier to align image verticals,
    and also to check that all image verticals are parallel.

    You can also improve the feel of the camera for verticals by adding a
    vertical handle to it, such as a folded up monopod without a head,
    forcing the pod to be aligned rectangularly to the camera.

    Looking back at my old SLR photographs, however, it's clear that the
    most important reason I now have more difficulty with my verticals is
    that I'm now much fussier about vertical precision. I suspect the
    reason for that is that I view and print my digital images at larger
    sizes. That has also made me more critical about focus.

    Chris Malcolm, Apr 10, 2008
  20. Mr. Strat wrote:
    > In article <DKiLj.5143$>, David J
    > Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> All LCD and EVF finders are "TTL". Optical finders are, at best, a
    >> compromise and at worst, misleading (e.g. field-of-view and
    >> parallax).

    > There is no parallax with a DSLR. You're looking through the taking
    > lens.
    >
    > As for field of view, my old Pentax 6x7 only showed something like
    > 90%. It doesn't take long to get used to and isn't really an issue.

    Indeed, the DSLR does not have parallax, but the OP was moving from a film
    SLR to compact digital camera, and a number of people have suggested that
    they would not buy a camera without an "optical viewfinder". Not all
    "optical viewfinders" on compact cameras are created equal, and none are
    TTL.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Apr 10, 2008