    there any way i can take good night shots?

    Thanks.

    , Feb 8, 2007

  2. Paul Rubin Guest

    writes:
    > I don't intend to carry around a tripod, is
    > there any way i can take good night shots?

    No.

    Paul Rubin, Feb 8, 2007

  3. ASAAR Guest

    On 7 Feb 2007 20:43:19 -0800, wrote:

    > Hi, when I try to get night shots with the canon sd600 in night time
    > mode i get pictures where the lighting looks good, bu the pictures are
    > blurry (the camera shake warning is on whenever i take them, even
    > though the caera isn't shaking any more than during outdoor daytime
    > shots, which look great). I don't intend to carry around a tripod, is
    > there any way i can take good night shots?

    The camera's movement may be the same, but the shutter will be
    open a greater amount of time than during the daytime shots. During
    the longer time that the shutter is open for the night shots, the
    camera will move a greater distance, creating more blur. If the
    same shutter speed is used during daylight hours, you'll get the
    same amount of blur.

    It's up to you to decide how to reduce the camera movement. The
    best ways are to rest the camera on something. You've ruled out
    using a tripod, but would you also rule out monopods? They don't do
    as good a job as tripods, but are much lighter and easier to carry.
    Some even do double duty as walking sticks. You could also carry a
    small bean bag or a small piece of a towel to rest the camera on
    when the bag or folded towel piece is placed on some sturdy,
    non-moveable object. If you insist on hand-holding the camera, do
    whatever will minimize the shutter speed. This includes increasing
    the camera's ISO, but increase it too much and the image quality
    will suffer, especially if you try to make large prints. This is
    discussed on page 64 of the Advanced Camera User Guide.

    The SD600 also has a Night Snapshot shooting mode that

    > Allows you to take snapshots of people against twilight or
    > night backgrounds by reducing the effects of camera shake
    > even without using a tripod

    (Basic Camera User Guide, p. 7)

    but note that if you use the flash in Night Snapshot mode, the
    flash will default to Auto Red-eye Reduction, which you may want to
    avoid.

    You're probably going to be disappointed with the SD600's night
    shot ability, but to get the most out of the camera you'll probably
    want to take lots of practice shots in several different low light
    conditions. It's a lot easier and convenient doing this indoors,
    especially if your lights can be dimmed. It won't allow you to
    perform miracles with the camera, but will give you a good feel for
    the SD600's limitations and what kind of image quality differences
    you can expect to get when you use high ISO settings.

    ASAAR, Feb 8, 2007
  4. Guest

    > writes:
    > > I don't intend to carry around a tripod, is
    > > there any way i can take good night shots?

    > No.

    If you're wanting to get pictures of people who aren't too far away, a
    flash will do the trick. But if you want to shoot scenery, buildings,
    a bridge with interesting lighting, or anything like that, you need a
    tripod. It seems like a pain in the ass, but the difference it makes
    in quality is amazing.

    Have a look: http://forrestcroce.com/Galleries/Seattle.html

    , Feb 8, 2007
  5. Bob Willard Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi, when I try to get night shots with the canon sd600 in night time
    > mode i get pictures where the lighting looks good, bu the pictures are
    > blurry (the camera shake warning is on whenever i take them, even
    > though the caera isn't shaking any more than during outdoor daytime
    > shots, which look great). I don't intend to carry around a tripod, is
    > there any way i can take good night shots?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I've sometimes had some luck by parking the camera on something, such as
    a bridge railing or the top of a car.

    Think of it as an IET, or Improvised Environmental Tripod.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Bob Willard, Feb 8, 2007