    to the Internet. Do we need to disable the wireless function in order for
    the computer to use the wired one? If so, how? Or will a wired-in connection
    automatically override the search for a wireless connection?
    d claude bear, Mar 8, 2008

  2. Hi
    You can set it so that if there is a Wire connection it would override the
    Wireless.
    Here how, http://www.ezlan.net/metrics.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 9, 2008

  3. Thanks for your help, Jack. I followed all the instructions on the page you
    included in your reply and was able to do everything.

    However, when I turned off the laptop's wireless switch and plugged in the
    ethernet cable (from the cable modem) that I use for my desktop computer,
    there is an "unable to resolve internet address" error message from Cox (our
    internet provider). And of course I could not access the internet.

    Is it possible that the laptop was never set up to get a wired interface
    signal? I will call the Cox tech line tomorrow to see if they can walk me
    through the search for a wired connection IP address.

    d claude bear, Mar 9, 2008
  4. Hi
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/debug.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).