    equipment, I have an S2, Nikon 24-120, Flash, silver/white 42"
    reflector, and I may have the nikon 80-200 2.8 ED by then.

    Thanks in advance :)

    C.S., Jun 7, 2004

  2. (C.S.) writes:

    > I'm getting together with some friends to do some swimsuit photography
    > on the beach in a couple of weeks.

    My first suggestion is to shoot just after dawn and just before sunset --
    the so-called golden hours. Skin tones look wonderful, and you don't have
    harsh shadows and high contrast.

    > I'm looking for any advice that
    > someone who's done it can offer. I'm a newbie so I dont have much
    > equipment, I have an S2, Nikon 24-120, Flash, silver/white 42"
    > reflector, and I may have the nikon 80-200 2.8 ED by then.

    A gold-toned reflector would offer better skin tones, but such is life.
    Fill flash should be a couple of stops under the 'real' exposure so
    you don't eliminate shadows (an unrealistic look) but rather just fill them
    in a little with light.

    If you have a couple of weeks before the big event, run some trials at
    dawn, mid-day, and sunset (you don't have to be at the beach) to check your
    settings, white-balance, and so forth, and to compare the harsh reality of
    noon with dawn and sunset photos.

    Have fun.

    Phil Stripling, Jun 7, 2004

  3. On 07 Jun 2004 13:36:40 -0700, Phil Stripling
    <> wrote:

    > (C.S.) writes:
    >
    >> I'm getting together with some friends to do some swimsuit photography
    >> on the beach in a couple of weeks.

    >My first suggestion is to shoot just after dawn and just before sunset --
    >the so-called golden hours. Skin tones look wonderful, and you don't have
    >harsh shadows and high contrast.
    >
    >> I'm looking for any advice that
    >> someone who's done it can offer. I'm a newbie so I dont have much
    >> equipment, I have an S2, Nikon 24-120, Flash, silver/white 42"
    >> reflector, and I may have the nikon 80-200 2.8 ED by then.

    >A gold-toned reflector would offer better skin tones, but such is life.
    >Fill flash should be a couple of stops under the 'real' exposure so
    >you don't eliminate shadows (an unrealistic look) but rather just fill them
    >in a little with light.
    >
    >If you have a couple of weeks before the big event, run some trials at
    >dawn, mid-day, and sunset (you don't have to be at the beach) to check your
    >settings, white-balance, and so forth, and to compare the harsh reality of
    >noon with dawn and sunset photos.

    I would add that I have found the beach to affect exposures much like
    shooting snow scenes. That makes an incident light meter and manual
    settings work better for me that using the metering in the camera, but
    it matrix or center weighted. However on this type of shooting I do
    prefer center weighted as a personal preference.

    As was suggested, go out and do a bit of practice ahead of time so you
    know what to expect.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    Roger Halstead, Jun 8, 2004