How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by raylopez99, Oct 25, 2007.

  1. raylopez99

    raylopez99 Guest

    I have some DVDs that are commercial products (possibly copy
    protected, but I bought them) that I want to just strip out the sound
    from (so I can listen just to the sound, hopefully converting them
    to .MP3 files).

    What, if any, software can do this? Cyberlink?

    RL
     
    raylopez99, Oct 25, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. raylopez99 wrote:

    > I have some DVDs that are commercial products (possibly copy
    > protected, but I bought them) that I want to just strip out the sound
    > from (so I can listen just to the sound, hopefully converting them
    > to .MP3 files).
    >
    > What, if any, software can do this? Cyberlink?
    >
    > RL



    I know that Roxio EMC 9 will do this, using the Video Wave module, which
    has an Extract Audio function. Gives you .WAV file.

    Ken
     
    Kenneth J. Harris, Oct 25, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. raylopez99

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "raylopez99" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have some DVDs that are commercial products (possibly copy
    > protected, but I bought them) that I want to just strip out the sound
    > from (so I can listen just to the sound, hopefully converting them
    > to .MP3 files).
    >
    > What, if any, software can do this? Cyberlink?
    >
    > RL
    >


    Most of the decrypting tools will let you demux and
    select streams. DVD Decrypter, DVDShrink being
    the old stand by programs, and will still work for some
    DVDs. They are free, but you may need a newer
    program for the current DVDs.

    www.videohelp.com has listings of available tools.

    Luck;
    Ken
     
    Ken Maltby, Oct 25, 2007
    #3
  4. raylopez99

    raylopez99 Guest

    Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    On Oct 25, 12:34 pm, "Ken Maltby" <> wrote:
    >
    > www.videohelp.com has listings of available tools.
    >



    Did a quick search and found this 'free' solution below for audio,
    which I'll try. IN the meantime, I was using a free version of
    Cyberlink PowerDVD that's expired; if anybody has a better or free DVD
    player, please let me know (or I'll just have to shell out the $80 or
    so and buy it, not a big deal--but is Roxio better? or about the
    same?)

    Update: I found Windows Media 10 plays DVDs and seems to be working
    right now--I'll try it with Audacity as described below and if I have
    any problems I'll post again--tx.

    RL

    http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20050216_export_dvd_audio_to_cd.html

    How do you record the audio portion of a DVD to a standard CD?

    There are several ways to tackle the process of converting the audio
    output from a DVD movie to something you can burn to CD and listen to
    in your car or elsewhere. Depending on whether the DVD you want to
    extract the audio from is a commercial release or something you own
    the rights to you need to tread carefully in choosing your options. In
    terms of complexity, the legal method of acquiring the audio from a
    commercial DVD may be less complicated anyway.

    The most straightforward method for separating the audio from a DVD is
    simply to record it cassette deck style with an audio editing
    application. Using this method, you'll open the DVD in a software
    player like PowerDVD, CinePlayer or WinDVD. To record the DVD audio
    track use your favorite audio editing application or download Audacity
    for free. Configure Audacity's preferences to record 44,100 Hz, 16-bit
    Stereo. Choose Stereo Mix from the list of recording options or "What
    you hear" if you use a Creative Labs sound card. Press the Record
    button and start the movie. When the movie is done, stop the recording
    and close your DVD player application.

    At this point, it's a good idea to save a copy of the DVD audio, in
    case your computer crashes or the power goes out. You'll probably need
    to break the DVD audio into more than one file in order to put it on
    CDs. A CD holds a maximum of 72 minutes of Audio. Most Movies are a
    least 90 minutes in length. You can either divide the audio into
    individual tracks and save each track, or you can save the audio as
    two big files to be burned to two CDs.

    If you followed the directions here, the recorded audio likely has
    several seconds of silence at the beginning of the file. Before
    exporting your audio, eliminate the silence by selecting it from the
    audio timeline and tapping the delete key.

    To split the file into multiple tracks, use one of two methods. Either
    select the section of the main audio file you want to split into a
    track and actually split the track by choosing Edit > Split from the
    menu which creates two separate tracks.



    Using this method you then save the individual Audacity tracks as
    separate files.


    Alternatively, you can use the label feature to mark your track
    divisions and export each labeled section as an individual track.
    First, divide the audio file using separate labels for each track by
    specifying a segment of the audio and choosing Project > Add Label At
    Selection (Ctrl+B).



    Once you've got all the track divisions label, export the labels as
    individual files.



    Using your CD burning software, create a playlist with a track order
    to burn the files in the order you created them.

    The second method for doing this requires you to first rip the DVD
    using a software application like SmartRipper. If the DVD is a
    commercial release with Macrovision protection and CSS, this is a
    violation of the DMCA and therefore illegal in the United States as of
    this writing. It's perfectly acceptable to use this method for
    extracting audio from any DVD you own the rights to or created
    yourself. Once you have the DVD ripped, an application called DVD2AVI
    can split out the audio as one big file. For a more visual guide to
    this process, take a look at the steps used in putting DVD video on a
    Pocket PC. The process is the same. At this point you're back to the
    same problem of needing to make the file small enough to fit on a CD.
    The same directions for using Audacity described above are necessary
    to split the track into a manageable file size.
     
    raylopez99, Oct 26, 2007
    #4
  5. raylopez99

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    "raylopez99" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Oct 25, 12:34 pm, "Ken Maltby" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> www.videohelp.com has listings of available tools.
    >>

    >
    >
    > Did a quick search and found this 'free' solution below for audio,
    > which I'll try. IN the meantime, I was using a free version of
    > Cyberlink PowerDVD that's expired; if anybody has a better or free DVD
    > player, please let me know (or I'll just have to shell out the $80 or
    > so and buy it, not a big deal--but is Roxio better? or about the
    > same?)
    >
    > Update: I found Windows Media 10 plays DVDs and seems to be working
    > right now--I'll try it with Audacity as described below and if I have
    > any problems I'll post again--tx.
    >
    > RL
    >


    I like the free "Media Player Classic" myself. As long as you
    have that copy of PowerDVD installed the codec you need to
    play DVDs is available to your system.

    While that process you describe includes some useful advice
    on using Audacity, a real time capture isn't needed. If you
    use the demux function of a "DVD Ripper" it will only take a
    few minuets to extract the audio. Then you will have decrypted
    audio that you can use in Audacity, BeSweet or any other audio
    program.

    Luck;
    Ken


    Luck;
    Ken
     
    Ken Maltby, Oct 26, 2007
    #5
  6. raylopez99

    raylopez99 Guest

    Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    On Oct 26, 7:29 am, "Ken Maltby" <> wrote:

    > While that process you describe includes some useful advice
    > on using Audacity, a real time capture isn't needed. If you
    > use the demux function of a "DVD Ripper" it will only take a
    > few minuets to extract the audio. Then you will have decrypted
    > audio that you can use in Audacity, BeSweet or any other audio
    > program.



    Your hardware must be incredibly powerful, or maybe capturing video is
    just slow for me. I am running a five year old Pentium IV chip (it's
    basically a souped up Celeron chip), with 2 GB RAM and a big HD, but
    when I clicked (using Audacity) on a DVD .VOB file (to extract the
    audio), I got a long wait (I aborted after 10 minutes) for a 1 GB
    size .VOB file (and there were five such files comprising the DVD).
    Finally, I decided to do a real time capture, so I played the DVD
    (using Windows Media Player 10), capturing using "stereo" and default
    settings in Audacity, went away for two hours, and when I came back
    the file captured was 2.3 GB of audio (saved as .AU files--Audacity
    format), which, using a module in Audacity, I am converting (as I type
    this) to .MP3. If there's a quicker way let me know. Perhaps I
    should have not aborted the .VOB file capture--maybe it's faster than
    a realtime capture--would a 1 GB file take 30 minutes to load, and
    then, what, another 30 minutes to save to .MP3? So perhaps it's twice
    as fast to do a non-realtime capture (since it seems saving to .MP3
    will take 30 minutes right now, so 2 hours realtime capture + 30
    minutes to save to .MP3 = 150 minutes total).

    RL
     
    raylopez99, Oct 26, 2007
    #6
  7. raylopez99

    raylopez99 Guest

    Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    On Oct 26, 10:24 am, raylopez99 <> wrote:
    > On Oct 26, 7:29 am, "Ken Maltby" <> wrote:
    >
    > > While that process you describe includes some useful advice
    > > on using Audacity, a real time capture isn't needed. If you
    > > use the demux function of a "DVD Ripper" it will only take a
    > > few minuets to extract the audio. Then you will have decrypted
    > > audio that you can use in Audacity, BeSweet or any other audio
    > > program.

    >
    > Your hardware must be incredibly powerful, or maybe capturing video is
    > just slow for me. I am running a five year old Pentium IV chip (it's
    > basically a souped up Celeron chip), with 2 GB RAM and a big HD, but
    > when I clicked (using Audacity) on a DVD .VOB file (to extract the
    > audio), I got a long wait (I aborted after 10 minutes) for a 1 GB
    > size .VOB file (and there were five such files comprising the DVD).
    > Finally, I decided to do a real time capture, so I played the DVD
    > (using Windows Media Player 10), capturing using "stereo" and default
    > settings in Audacity, went away for two hours, and when I came back
    > the file captured was 2.3 GB of audio (saved as .AU files--Audacity
    > format), which, using a module in Audacity, I am converting (as I type
    > this) to .MP3. If there's a quicker way let me know. Perhaps I
    > should have not aborted the .VOB file capture--maybe it's faster than
    > a realtime capture--would a 1 GB file take 30 minutes to load, and
    > then, what, another 30 minutes to save to .MP3? So perhaps it's twice
    > as fast to do a non-realtime capture (since it seems saving to .MP3
    > will take 30 minutes right now, so 2 hours realtime capture + 30
    > minutes to save to .MP3 = 150 minutes total).
    >


    I just tried importing a smaller .VOB file using Audacity,and, after
    it loads it, converting it to .MP3, it gives, at the very end, a real-
    time runtime error (and asks if you want to Send a report to Audacity,
    etc). So it looks like with my system at least, I cannot do a non-
    realtime transfer/conversion of DVD audio anyway (at least with my
    copy of Audacity), so I'm stuck to doing the capture in realtime
    (which is longer but not a big deal for me).

    RL
     
    raylopez99, Oct 26, 2007
    #7
  8. raylopez99

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    "raylopez99" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Oct 26, 10:24 am, raylopez99 <> wrote:
    >> On Oct 26, 7:29 am, "Ken Maltby" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > While that process you describe includes some useful advice
    >> > on using Audacity, a real time capture isn't needed. If you
    >> > use the demux function of a "DVD Ripper" it will only take a
    >> > few minuets to extract the audio. Then you will have decrypted
    >> > audio that you can use in Audacity, BeSweet or any other audio
    >> > program.

    >>
    >> Your hardware must be incredibly powerful, or maybe capturing video is
    >> just slow for me. I am running a five year old Pentium IV chip (it's
    >> basically a souped up Celeron chip), with 2 GB RAM and a big HD, but
    >> when I clicked (using Audacity) on a DVD .VOB file (to extract the
    >> audio), I got a long wait (I aborted after 10 minutes) for a 1 GB
    >> size .VOB file (and there were five such files comprising the DVD).
    >> Finally, I decided to do a real time capture, so I played the DVD
    >> (using Windows Media Player 10), capturing using "stereo" and default
    >> settings in Audacity, went away for two hours, and when I came back
    >> the file captured was 2.3 GB of audio (saved as .AU files--Audacity
    >> format), which, using a module in Audacity, I am converting (as I type
    >> this) to .MP3. If there's a quicker way let me know. Perhaps I
    >> should have not aborted the .VOB file capture--maybe it's faster than
    >> a realtime capture--would a 1 GB file take 30 minutes to load, and
    >> then, what, another 30 minutes to save to .MP3? So perhaps it's twice
    >> as fast to do a non-realtime capture (since it seems saving to .MP3
    >> will take 30 minutes right now, so 2 hours realtime capture + 30
    >> minutes to save to .MP3 = 150 minutes total).
    >>

    >
    > I just tried importing a smaller .VOB file using Audacity,and, after
    > it loads it, converting it to .MP3, it gives, at the very end, a real-
    > time runtime error (and asks if you want to Send a report to Audacity,
    > etc). So it looks like with my system at least, I cannot do a non-
    > realtime transfer/conversion of DVD audio anyway (at least with my
    > copy of Audacity), so I'm stuck to doing the capture in realtime
    > (which is longer but not a big deal for me).
    >
    > RL
    >


    You have to decrypt the DVD first, then you can use Audacity
    on the demuxed audio file. As I said you should have the
    decrypting/ripping software output as demuxed audio and video.
    It is that decrypted audio file that you edit with Audacity or other
    audio software.

    Even the old DVD Decrypter that comes with the Gordian Knot
    download will do it in a couple of minutes. Any converter can
    use the Lame MP3 encoding codec to turn your demuxed audio
    into a .mp3 file in a few more minutes.

    If you have www.VideoReDo.com you can use that on
    the decrypted .vob, edit it and extract it to ES and even convert
    the audio to .wav.

    Luck;
    Ken
     
    Ken Maltby, Oct 26, 2007
    #8
  9. raylopez99

    raylopez99 Guest

    Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    On Oct 26, 2:14 pm, "Ken Maltby" <> wrote:

    > > etc). So it looks like with my system at least, I cannot do a non-
    > > realtime transfer/conversion of DVD audio anyway (at least with my
    > > copy of Audacity), so I'm stuck to doing the capture in realtime
    > > (which is longer but not a big deal for me).

    >
    > > RL

    >
    > You have to decrypt the DVD first, then you can use Audacity
    > on the demuxed audio file. As I said you should have the
    > decrypting/ripping software output as demuxed audio and video.
    > It is that decrypted audio file that you edit with Audacity or other
    > audio software.
    >
    > Even the old DVD Decrypter that comes with the Gordian Knot
    > download will do it in a couple of minutes. Any converter can
    > use the Lame MP3 encoding codec to turn your demuxed audio
    > into a .mp3 file in a few more minutes.
    >
    > If you have www.VideoReDo.com you can use that on
    > the decrypted .vob, edit it and extract it to ES and even convert
    > the audio to .wav.
    >
    >


    Thanks for the advice. Your advice is good for a heavy duty DVD user,
    but not for me--I'm just trying to trip 3 DVDs of their audio (speech,
    not music). Here's how I wasted 2 hours this morning:

    I checked out three programs, actually more, since some were flagged
    as "trojans" by my anti-virus program (the banned in the USA program
    DVD Decrypt 3.3.4.0 for example--probably a false positive but I was
    too afraid to install it), and none of them, because they were
    shareware or otherwise, worked. For example Easiestutils DVD Audio
    Ripper 4.9.0.63 failed on my generic Penitum 4, relatively modern XP
    OS system. Another one called DVD to MP3 I found on Download.com
    failed. If I rebooted (I didn't bother since on my system rebooting
    takes 5 to 10 minutes), which sometimes helps with the registry file,
    disabled all my spyware/virus background programs, asked users on
    various forums after registering, kept trying with other programs,
    eventually (after about a half a day IMO) I would probably get at
    least one such decrypting/ripping program to run, but for now I'll do
    my business using the 'old-fashioned' way of simply real-time capture
    using Audacity, which seems to work with not too much noise (real-time
    capture does introduce a bit of background hiss, but since I'm
    capturing the words rather than music, I don't really care).

    RL
     
    raylopez99, Oct 27, 2007
    #9
  10. Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    raylopez99 wrote:
    <Stuff about problems extracting sound from DVDs>

    If you're not stuck with having to use Cyberlink programs, there is a
    freeware bundle called DVD2SVCD, which works with TMPGEnc (An Mpeg
    encoder, freeware for MPEG1 or shareware for MPEG2)or any other command
    liine capable mpeg encoder program, to strip a DVD down to VideoCD.
    While it's doing this, it generates temporary files of the sound & video
    streams which can be converted into any format you wish.

    You get on your Hard drive the .IFO files, the .VOB files, .ac3
    extracted audio, .mp2 encoded audio, .mpv MPEG1 video stream and a
    combined .mpg (Mpeg1 format, 352x288 resolution) As a bonus, you get a
    number of .bin/.cue Video CD Image files you can burn to CD-R for playback.

    You do need to use DVDs you have the right to copy, though, as it is
    illegal in most places to break copyright protection systems such as CSS
    & the like;-)

    --
    Tciao for Now!

    John.
     
    John Williamson, Oct 27, 2007
    #10
  11. raylopez99

    raylopez99 Guest

    Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    On Oct 27, 2:34 am, John Williamson <>
    wrote:
    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    > <Stuff about problems extracting sound from DVDs>
    >
    > If you're not stuck with having to use Cyberlink programs, there is a
    > freeware bundle called DVD2SVCD, which works with TMPGEnc (An Mpeg
    > encoder, freeware for MPEG1 or shareware for MPEG2)or any other command
    > liine capable mpeg encoder program, to strip a DVD down to VideoCD.
    > While it's doing this, it generates temporary files of the sound & video
    > streams which can be converted into any format you wish.
    >
    > You get on your Hard drive the .IFO files, the .VOB files, .ac3
    > extracted audio, .mp2 encoded audio, .mpv MPEG1 video stream and a
    > combined .mpg (Mpeg1 format, 352x288 resolution) As a bonus, you get a
    > number of .bin/.cue Video CD Image files you can burn to CD-R for playback.
    >
    > You do need to use DVDs you have the right to copy, though, as it is
    > illegal in most places to break copyright protection systems such as CSS
    > & the like;-)
    >
    > --
    > Tciao for Now!
    >
    > John.


    Too complicated for me...even though I code for a hobby! Too much
    work--you have to use two different programs--I would need a FAQ to
    avoid spending a day figuring it out. I'll stick to my workaround,
    thanks.

    RL
     
    raylopez99, Oct 27, 2007
    #11
  12. raylopez99

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    "raylopez99" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    >
    > Too complicated for me...even though I code for a hobby! Too much
    > work--you have to use two different programs--I would need a FAQ to
    > avoid spending a day figuring it out. I'll stick to my workaround,
    > thanks.
    >
    > RL
    >


    Well you have reached my limit for replying to
    the brain dead class of GoogleGroups posters,
    maybe next time.

    Luck;
    Ken
     
    Ken Maltby, Oct 27, 2007
    #12
  13. raylopez99

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    "raylopez99" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Oct 26, 2:14 pm, "Ken Maltby" <> wrote:
    >
    >> > etc). So it looks like with my system at least, I cannot do a non-
    >> > realtime transfer/conversion of DVD audio anyway (at least with my
    >> > copy of Audacity), so I'm stuck to doing the capture in realtime
    >> > (which is longer but not a big deal for me).

    >>
    >> > RL

    >>
    >> You have to decrypt the DVD first, then you can use Audacity
    >> on the demuxed audio file. As I said you should have the
    >> decrypting/ripping software output as demuxed audio and video.
    >> It is that decrypted audio file that you edit with Audacity or other
    >> audio software.
    >>
    >> Even the old DVD Decrypter that comes with the Gordian Knot
    >> download will do it in a couple of minutes. Any converter can
    >> use the Lame MP3 encoding codec to turn your demuxed audio
    >> into a .mp3 file in a few more minutes.
    >>
    >> If you have www.VideoReDo.com you can use that on
    >> the decrypted .vob, edit it and extract it to ES and even convert
    >> the audio to .wav.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Thanks for the advice. Your advice is good for a heavy duty DVD user,
    > but not for me--I'm just trying to trip 3 DVDs of their audio (speech,
    > not music). Here's how I wasted 2 hours this morning:
    >
    > I checked out three programs, actually more, since some were flagged
    > as "trojans" by my anti-virus program (the banned in the USA program
    > DVD Decrypt 3.3.4.0 for example--probably a false positive but I was
    > too afraid to install it), and none of them, because they were
    > shareware or otherwise, worked. For example Easiestutils DVD Audio
    > Ripper 4.9.0.63 failed on my generic Penitum 4, relatively modern XP
    > OS system. Another one called DVD to MP3 I found on Download.com
    > failed. If I rebooted (I didn't bother since on my system rebooting
    > takes 5 to 10 minutes), which sometimes helps with the registry file,
    > disabled all my spyware/virus background programs, asked users on
    > various forums after registering, kept trying with other programs,
    > eventually (after about a half a day IMO) I would probably get at
    > least one such decrypting/ripping program to run, but for now I'll do
    > my business using the 'old-fashioned' way of simply real-time capture
    > using Audacity, which seems to work with not too much noise (real-time
    > capture does introduce a bit of background hiss, but since I'm
    > capturing the words rather than music, I don't really care).
    >
    > RL
    >


    You couldn't find a good program at the site I
    pointed you to in my first reply, www.videohelp.com ?

    There are plenty of bad programs to be found if you
    just do a Google search and believe what ever hype
    you encounter. I pointed you to a reliable site, with
    an extensive "Tool" listing.

    Luck;
    Ken
     
    Ken Maltby, Oct 27, 2007
    #13
  14. raylopez99

    raylopez99 Guest

    Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    On Oct 27, 2:08 pm, "Ken Maltby" <> wrote:

    > You couldn't find a good program at the site I
    > pointed you to in my first reply,www.videohelp.com?
    >
    > There are plenty of bad programs to be found if you
    > just do a Google search and believe what ever hype
    > you encounter. I pointed you to a reliable site, with
    > an extensive "Tool" listing.


    OK, I took a look at the Tool listing, thanks for that tip. I decided
    this program ("RipIt4Me") below might work, but I, as a brain dead
    GoogleGroups person, need your expert advice--do you think it will
    work? Keep in mind I am a expert coder, have written many a program,
    built well over a dozen PC systems from scratch, including a dual boot
    Linux/NT PC, wired my house for electricity, installed a garbage
    disposer, installed a toilet, washerless faucet, tiled a bathroom, and
    can even change a flat tire, though frankly I prefer to just call AAA
    and not soil my white collar hands.

    The reason I ask is that a lot of these programs seem not to be
    supported much and might have spyware/malware in them, since
    apparently the stupid Digital Millinieum Copyright Act throws
    roadblocks in the way of these programs. So I appreciate your
    "reputable" site. ***

    RL

    PS--again, my objective is to extract audio from an uncopy protected
    (says so in "properties"--that it's not copy protected) DVD video, and
    (using Audiacity) convert the sound to .mp3.


    ***UPdate: just before sending this reply I note the below, which I
    think means Macromedia threatened to sue them. Also, from MajorGeeks
    (a reputable mirror): http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5408.html it
    seems that this program RipIt4Me is really a backup copy program,
    rather than an extraction program.

    PPS2--Sorry, I must be retarded, but I'm going back to just recording
    in realtime mode unless somebody can step me through exactly which
    programs (freeware) I have to load and in what sequence. Bye.

    >From "MaximumPC" magazine, July 2007 issue, page 102:


    >From a reader: "As of March 31, the RipIt4Me website has been closed

    and development of the program has been discontinued, and as of April
    19 the same goes for FixVTS. . . . .

    Magazine response: "The folks who built those two apps were cease-and-
    desisted by persons unknown . . . . . [T]his almost certainly means
    the end of development for both . . . "

    RipIt4Me
    RipIt4Me is a freeware utility that helps you backup your copy
    protected DVDs. Recently released DVDs are now very often equipped
    with stronger copy protections - such as ARccOS and RipGuard DVD.
    Programs like DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter cannot handle these types of
    discs. RipIt4Me is fully automated and the wizard will guide you
    through all the necessary steps involved. If you prefer, there is also
    a true "1-Click" mode that will perform all the involved steps
    automatically for you. Development
     
    raylopez99, Oct 27, 2007
    #14
  15. Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Too complicated for me...even though I code for a hobby! Too much
    > work--you have to use two different programs--I would need a FAQ to
    > avoid spending a day figuring it out. I'll stick to my workaround,
    > thanks.
    >

    Errmm...
    I installed TMPGEnc after I downloaded it (under 2 Meg downlaod, IIRC).
    No configuration needed. It just unpacks itself into a directory, &
    doesn't even put any keys into the registry. Ditto with DVD2SVCD (11.5
    Meg or thereabouts), then I told it to look for the VCD.ini file
    (Unpacked into the install directory) & load that. It finds TMPGEnc or
    any other MPEG encoder you have installed while it installs itself. This
    took 5 or 10 minutes on a Celeron 1.2GHz machine. Then I put a DVD into
    the drive & told it to rip & convert. A while later (About a fifth of
    realtime speed on that machine), I had all the stuff on HD in a
    directory I'd specified. .ac3 to .wav or CD conversion is a doddle, as
    almost any sound editing program can do it.

    If that's too hard....

    There's an excellent support forum on Doom9 for this system.

    The *only* reason DVD2SVCD doesn't include its own MPEG encoder is that
    the encoders aren't freeware under the GPL scheme, & royalties have to
    be paid for using MPEG2.

    --
    Tciao for Now!

    John.
     
    John Williamson, Oct 27, 2007
    #15
  16. raylopez99

    raylopez99 Guest

    Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    On Oct 27, 3:35 pm, John Williamson <>
    wrote:
    > raylopez99 wrote:
    > > Too complicated for me...even though I code for a hobby! Too much
    > > work--you have to use two different programs--I would need a FAQ to
    > > avoid spending a day figuring it out. I'll stick to my workaround,
    > > thanks.

    >
    > Errmm...
    > I installed TMPGEnc after I downloaded it (under 2 Meg downlaod, IIRC).
    > No configuration needed. It just unpacks itself into a directory, &
    > doesn't even put any keys into the registry. Ditto with DVD2SVCD (11.5
    > Meg or thereabouts), then I told it to look for the VCD.ini file
    > (Unpacked into the install directory) & load that. It finds TMPGEnc or
    > any other MPEG encoder you have installed while it installs itself. This
    > took 5 or 10 minutes on a Celeron 1.2GHz machine. Then I put a DVD into
    > the drive & told it to rip & convert. A while later (About a fifth of
    > realtime speed on that machine), I had all the stuff on HD in a
    > directory I'd specified. .ac3 to .wav or CD conversion is a doddle, as
    > almost any sound editing program can do it.
    >
    > If that's too hard....
    >
    > There's an excellent support forum on Doom9 for this system.
    >
    > The *only* reason DVD2SVCD doesn't include its own MPEG encoder is that
    > the encoders aren't freeware under the GPL scheme, & royalties have to
    > be paid for using MPEG2.
    >
    > --
    > Tciao for Now!
    >
    > John.


    Well John thanks for writing! I forgot to add...I also a rocket
    scientist (well, I took a few graduate level courses before dropping
    out to go to business school, when I found out it's way harder than I
    thought--for one thing, you have to be familiar with the so-called
    Navier Stokes equation of fluid mechanics, which is one of the most
    difficult equations in the world, arguably even harder than the
    Schrodinger equation of quantum physics).

    OK, with that background, here's my latest thoughts on this--remember,
    I'm trying to convert .VOB WIndows DVD files to extract the audio
    into .MP3 format, using only freeware, on a Celeron based Windows XP
    OS.

    checked out:

    http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/136/59/ How to rip audio from
    a DVD to Audio CD--but uses as the example freeware/discontinued
    program "DVD Decrypter", rather than Nero (which I tried to get to
    work but failed), and my spyware program identifiefd "DVD Decrypter"
    as a trojan (rightly or wrongly, probably the latter).

    This program: TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress Ver. 4.3.1.222 Trial Version -- has
    severe limitations (30 min max output):

    This software is a trial version freely usable for 14 days.
    After the installation, an Internet connection is required to receive
    your temporary license validation.
    Limitation: Output file length is limited to 30 minutes. All functions
    and options are usable except the Batch encode tool and the Project
    Open/Save options.

    In lieu of TMPG I will try this freeware: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Any_Video_Converter__d5692.html
    "Any Video Converter 2.03", and report back.

    I'll report back later...

    RL
     
    raylopez99, Oct 28, 2007
    #16
  17. Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    > http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/136/59/ How to rip audio from
    > a DVD to Audio CD--but uses as the example freeware/discontinued
    > program "DVD Decrypter", rather than Nero (which I tried to get to
    > work but failed), and my spyware program identifiefd "DVD Decrypter"
    > as a trojan (rightly or wrongly, probably the latter).
    >

    DVD Decypter sometimes comes up as a positive on malware checks, but
    some of the sites that carry it are actually infested with malware
    carrying versions. It also allegedly has certain behaviours that trigger
    spyware/ trojan warnings, but I don't use it, so I'm not fully aware of
    what these are.
    DVD Decrypter fell foul if the Millenium DRM acts in the USA, so the
    developer dropped it. (As`far as I'm aware)

    > This program: TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress Ver. 4.3.1.222 Trial Version -- has
    > severe limitations (30 min max output):
    >

    http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/download.html

    Lets me download version 2.524 as a free, unrestricted MPEG1 version
    with a 30 day limit on availability of MPEG2 encoding after
    installation. This is the version I've been using for ages now. It has
    no limit on length of output file in MPEG1 format.
    I have had problems with later versions, though.

    However, the DVD2SVCD bundle processing only falls over due to the lack
    of a video encoder *after* it's extracted the audio files;-)

    --
    Tciao for Now!

    John.
     
    John Williamson, Oct 28, 2007
    #17
  18. raylopez99

    raylopez99 Guest

    Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    On Oct 28, 5:23 am, John Williamson <>
    wrote:
    >
    > DVD Decypter sometimes comes up as a positive on malware checks, but
    > some of the sites that carry it are actually infested with malware
    > carrying versions. It also allegedly has certain behaviours that trigger
    > spyware/ trojan warnings, but I don't use it, so I'm not fully aware of
    > what these are.


    > DVD Decrypter fell foul if the Millenium DRM acts in the USA, so the
    > developer dropped it. (As`far as I'm aware)


    Yes, that's right. So I avoid.

    >
    > > This program: TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress Ver. 4.3.1.222 Trial Version -- has
    > > severe limitations (30 min max output):

    >
    > http://www.tmpgenc.net/en/download.html
    >
    > Lets me download version 2.524 as a free, unrestricted MPEG1 version
    > with a 30 day limit on availability of MPEG2 encoding after
    > installation. This is the version I've been using for ages now. It has
    > no limit on length of output file in MPEG1 format.
    > I have had problems with later versions, though.
    >
    > However, the DVD2SVCD bundle processing only falls over due to the lack
    > of a video encoder *after* it's extracted the audio files;-)


    I did install DVD2SVCD just now, along with "Any Video
    Converter" (http://www.any-video-converter.com/download/)

    Re DVD2SVCD, I could not figure out from what menus to use to simply
    deconstruct a .VOB file into something which I could use Audacity to
    extract audio. Please advise. Too many options on this program.

    Next, I used the program "Any Video Converter" which *did* work on
    a .VOB file, to extract into "MPG" format (either 1 or 2, I chose 2),
    which then Audacity was able to extract the audio, but with one big
    annoying problem: when I played the audio that Audacity extracted,
    periodically, every second, a very annoying series of high pitched
    "peeps" or "beeps", like little Martians speaking, would pop up. I
    had used the default settings (whatever they are, I didn't look) for
    both programs. For "A V C" program I exported the sound into .MP2,
    not .AVI, which, now that I type this, perhaps is the reason for the
    sound (since .MP2 is not .MP3?)*** Just checked again--Audacity
    imports the .mpg file as .MP3, and the sounds are "skipping" high
    pitched sounds, loud enough to be annoying and make the audio painful
    to listen to--can this be a failed conversion from .MP2? Maybe I'll
    export to .AVI but. At least when I was doing a real-time capture the
    background "hiss" was not annoying and I could listen to the audio.
    Now I can't. The one advantage that this non-real-time conversion had
    was that indeed it was about 3 times faster (10 minutes for "Any Video
    Converter" to extract the audio from a 30 minute .VOB video file),
    but, the annoying thing was this program did not give a "progress bar"
    so it was hard to tell when it was going to end.

    All in all, this is just too much work for me. Unless I hear back
    from you or anybody else within the next day or so, I will disinstall
    these programs and go back to just using Audacity in a real-time
    conversion scheme while playing WIndows Media player.

    BTW, I've just wasted a good part of 2 hours doing this, as I had
    feared, but thanks for your time in any event.

    RL

    *** UPDATE: Before I hit "send", I think the solution is to export
    the .VOB to .AVI video format, then, take the sound from this. But
    will Audacity handle .AVI? Is there a freeware (reputable, virus-
    free) program for .AVI (audio) to .MP3 (audio)? Does DVD2SVCD do this
    conversion? I'll reboot now and check back here within the next 24
    hrs for more info, and will post any workaround that I come up with.
     
    raylopez99, Oct 28, 2007
    #18
  19. raylopez99

    raylopez99 Guest

    Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    On Oct 28, 5:54 am, raylopez99 <> wrote:

    Seems that you must pay money to decode into .MP3 legally. There are
    several such programs on the market, I might just buy one.

    RL
     
    raylopez99, Oct 28, 2007
    #19
  20. Re: How to strip out sound from a dvd? What Cyberlink product?

    raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Oct 28, 5:54 am, raylopez99 <> wrote:
    >
    > Seems that you must pay money to decode into .MP3 legally. There are
    > several such programs on the market, I might just buy one.
    >
    > RL
    >
    >

    Free download of the LAME encoder .dll via the link on the Audacity
    website:)

    Lame Ain't an Mp3 Encoder...
    But it produces files that play back perfectly well as mp3's.

    --
    Tciao for Now!

    John.
     
    John Williamson, Oct 28, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. William Dickinson

    Cyberlink power DVD 5

    William Dickinson, Apr 13, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    597
    gangle
    Apr 13, 2005
  2. Tse Ming Wai

    CyberLink Power Dvd v3.0

    Tse Ming Wai, Aug 27, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    3,510
    trout
    Aug 27, 2005
  3. Jelly
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,239
    Jelly
    Oct 23, 2004
  4. Ernst Tremel
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    590
    Ernst Tremel
    Jul 15, 2006
  5. RichA
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    578
    John Turco
    Nov 28, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page