    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    -Gaiko

    , Feb 8, 2005

  2. Jürgen Eidt Guest

    You need horizontal control points (t2) !
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j.houghton/horizons.htm

    --
    Regards
    Jürgen

    Jürgen Eidt, Feb 8, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi, I have been working on trying to figure out panoramic pictures
    > lately and one (of the many) problems i have run into is not being able
    > to make it (all the "attached" pictures) line up neatly/straight.
    > Instead i get anything from a wavy picture to a swirl. I am guessing
    > this has to do with number of matched points or accuracy of the matched
    > points (since some of the "swirl" pictures get better if i find points
    > that don't match up correctly [auto pano isn't perfect i guess]) but
    > for pictures like i have posted up (refer to URL) is there some other
    > way i can "straighten" the picture out?
    > http://www.geocities.com/gaikokujin_kyofusho/pictures/test_long.jpg
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > -Gaiko

    At first I thought you might be complaining about something subtle. LOL!

    Try to keep everything at a single distance. Zoom in to eliminate
    perspective. Lock the exposure levels to avoid mismatched tiles. Use a
    tripod to improve accuracy.

    Another stitcher would be a good bet too.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Feb 8, 2005
  4. RSD99 Guest

    Use a tripod and a level when you are taking the pictures.

    RSD99, Feb 8, 2005
  5. Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi, I have been working on trying to figure out panoramic pictures
    > lately and one (of the many) problems i have run into is not being able
    > to make it (all the "attached" pictures) line up neatly/straight.
    > Instead i get anything from a wavy picture to a swirl. I am guessing
    > this has to do with number of matched points or accuracy of the matched
    > points (since some of the "swirl" pictures get better if i find points
    > that don't match up correctly [auto pano isn't perfect i guess]) but
    > for pictures like i have posted up (refer to URL) is there some other
    > way i can "straighten" the picture out?
    > http://www.geocities.com/gaikokujin_kyofusho/pictures/test_long.jpg
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > -Gaiko

    Really good panos require a tripod with a pano-head. Check Google for
    these.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Feb 8, 2005
  6. Jürgen Eidt Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> schrieb
    > Really good panos require a tripod with a pano-head. Check Google for
    > these.

    Yes, but in this case it has nothing to do with paralax errors.
    The optimizer bend it that way because of wrong t points.

    --
    Regards
    Jürgen

    Jürgen Eidt, Feb 8, 2005
  7. imbsysop Guest

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 01:57:39 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Hi, I have been working on trying to figure out panoramic pictures
    >> lately and one (of the many) problems i have run into is not being able
    >> to make it (all the "attached" pictures) line up neatly/straight.
    >> Instead i get anything from a wavy picture to a swirl. I am guessing
    >> this has to do with number of matched points or accuracy of the matched
    >> points (since some of the "swirl" pictures get better if i find points
    >> that don't match up correctly [auto pano isn't perfect i guess]) but
    >> for pictures like i have posted up (refer to URL) is there some other
    >> way i can "straighten" the picture out?
    >> http://www.geocities.com/gaikokujin_kyofusho/pictures/test_long.jpg
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >>
    >> -Gaiko
    >>

    >Really good panos require a tripod with a pano-head. Check Google for
    >these.

    although ??

    the picture that were stitched here were never intended to make a pano
    ie they were random vacation shots selected afterwards just for a pano
    test, just cropped the center part after the stitching .. yet the
    results are not too bad I think

    http://the-parodia.net/collection/funchal-small.jpg
    http://the-parodia.net/collection/funchal2-small.jpg
    http://the-parodia.net/collection/saolor2-small.jpg

    and the "small" means it has been resized :) original is something
    like 3620x17**
    FWIW

    imbsysop, Feb 8, 2005
  8. Nkarpen Guest

    There are two problems that I see right off the bat, one, you are no
    using the same exposure for all of your pictures., Better to use
    manual setting. Two, You need to have a pivot point directly under th
    camera, less curve this way. And, actually third, either use a tripo
    to keep the camera leval or put it up to your eye to control the heigh
    of the camera. You don't need to have it built into your camera, just
    panorama program in the computer. I find that I get better results b
    just overlapping by about 30% because then I can use the same exposure

    --
    Nkarpen

    Nkarpen, Feb 8, 2005
  9. MTBike1970 Guest

    There are several basic panorama "how to" articles in www.shutterbug.com
    The link below is to a recent one that talks about technique rather than
    software and equipment...
    regards...

    http://www.shutterbug.net/columns/0205panorama/index.html

    MTBike1970, Feb 8, 2005
  10. Ron Hunter Guest

    Jürgen Eidt wrote:
    > "Ron Hunter" <> schrieb
    >
    >>Really good panos require a tripod with a pano-head. Check Google for
    >>these.

    > Yes, but in this case it has nothing to do with paralax errors.
    > The optimizer bend it that way because of wrong t points.

    A good pano program can compensate for that kind of problem.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Feb 8, 2005
  11. Ron Hunter Guest

    imbsysop wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 01:57:39 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi, I have been working on trying to figure out panoramic pictures
    >>>lately and one (of the many) problems i have run into is not being able
    >>>to make it (all the "attached" pictures) line up neatly/straight.
    >>>Instead i get anything from a wavy picture to a swirl. I am guessing
    >>>this has to do with number of matched points or accuracy of the matched
    >>>points (since some of the "swirl" pictures get better if i find points
    >>>that don't match up correctly [auto pano isn't perfect i guess]) but
    >>>for pictures like i have posted up (refer to URL) is there some other
    >>>way i can "straighten" the picture out?
    >>>http://www.geocities.com/gaikokujin_kyofusho/pictures/test_long.jpg
    >>>
    >>>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >>>
    >>>-Gaiko
    >>>

    >>Really good panos require a tripod with a pano-head. Check Google for
    >>these.

    > although ??
    >
    > the picture that were stitched here were never intended to make a pano
    > ie they were random vacation shots selected afterwards just for a pano
    > test, just cropped the center part after the stitching .. yet the
    > results are not too bad I think
    >
    > http://the-parodia.net/collection/funchal-small.jpg
    > http://the-parodia.net/collection/funchal2-small.jpg
    > http://the-parodia.net/collection/saolor2-small.jpg
    >
    > and the "small" means it has been resized :) original is something
    > like 3620x17**
    > FWIW

    Not bad, but you really should get rid of those stupid dates! They mar
    the shot and a bit of editing can get rid of them quite easily.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Feb 8, 2005
  12. In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi, I have been working on trying to figure out panoramic pictures
    > lately and one (of the many) problems i have run into is not being able
    > to make it (all the "attached" pictures) line up neatly/straight.
    > Instead i get anything from a wavy picture to a swirl. I am guessing
    > this has to do with number of matched points or accuracy of the matched
    > points (since some of the "swirl" pictures get better if i find points
    > that don't match up correctly [auto pano isn't perfect i guess]) but
    > for pictures like i have posted up (refer to URL) is there some other
    > way i can "straighten" the picture out?
    > http://www.geocities.com/gaikokujin_kyofusho/pictures/test_long.jpg
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > -Gaiko

    Try a shareware program like Panorama Factory and see if you like the
    results. It does a lot of the adjusting automatically. If you are up to
    the effort find a copy of the free panoramra tools. This is hard to use,
    but there are several graphical front-end programs that make it easier.
    One is free and the other two shareware.

    --
    Robert D Feinman
    http://robertdfeinman.com

    Robert Feinman, Feb 8, 2005
  13. Rudy Benner Guest

    http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~dersch/

    Rudy Benner, Feb 8, 2005
  14. Ben Thomas Guest

    Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Hi, I have been working on trying to figure out panoramic pictures
    >>lately and one (of the many) problems i have run into is not being able
    >>to make it (all the "attached" pictures) line up neatly/straight.
    >>Instead i get anything from a wavy picture to a swirl. I am guessing
    >>this has to do with number of matched points or accuracy of the matched
    >>points (since some of the "swirl" pictures get better if i find points
    >>that don't match up correctly [auto pano isn't perfect i guess]) but
    >>for pictures like i have posted up (refer to URL) is there some other
    >>way i can "straighten" the picture out?
    >>http://www.geocities.com/gaikokujin_kyofusho/pictures/test_long.jpg
    >>
    >>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >>
    >>-Gaiko

    > At first I thought you might be complaining about something subtle. LOL!
    >
    > Try to keep everything at a single distance. Zoom in to eliminate
    > perspective. Lock the exposure levels to avoid mismatched tiles. Use a
    > tripod to improve accuracy.

    I'm very interested in your recommendation to zoom in to eliminate perspective.
    Would you zoom in on the centre of the panorama only?

    My Digital World:
    Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
    Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
    Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
    Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

    Disclaimer:
    given nor endorsed by it.

    Ben Thomas, Feb 8, 2005
  15. In article <iv6buc.21l.ln@192.168.11.2>,
    Ben Thomas <> wrote:

    > Kevin McMurtrie wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>Hi, I have been working on trying to figure out panoramic pictures
    > >>lately and one (of the many) problems i have run into is not being able
    > >>to make it (all the "attached" pictures) line up neatly/straight.
    > >>Instead i get anything from a wavy picture to a swirl. I am guessing
    > >>this has to do with number of matched points or accuracy of the matched
    > >>points (since some of the "swirl" pictures get better if i find points
    > >>that don't match up correctly [auto pano isn't perfect i guess]) but
    > >>for pictures like i have posted up (refer to URL) is there some other
    > >>way i can "straighten" the picture out?
    > >>http://www.geocities.com/gaikokujin_kyofusho/pictures/test_long.jpg
    > >>
    > >>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    > >>
    > >>-Gaiko

    > > At first I thought you might be complaining about something subtle. LOL!
    > >
    > > Try to keep everything at a single distance. Zoom in to eliminate
    > > perspective. Lock the exposure levels to avoid mismatched tiles. Use a
    > > tripod to improve accuracy.

    > I'm very interested in your recommendation to zoom in to eliminate
    > perspective.
    > Would you zoom in on the centre of the panorama only?

    Converting 3D to 2D always involves distortion. The wider the angle,
    the worse it gets. That's why wide angle lenses come in linear and
    spherical. It's two different ways of distorting 3D to 2D. For linear,
    a flat surface appears without distortion but objects a constant
    distance from the camera are smaller in the center and larger towards
    the edges. For a spherical wide angle, a flat surface appears larger in
    the center than at the edges but items at a constant distance appear
    undistorted.

    Try zooming in then taking more photos. Each photo will have less
    perspective distortion so stitching will require less bending and
    blending at the edge of each photo. You also need to eliminate the
    foreground. Just don't take a picture of it. Keep everything at one
    distance.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Feb 9, 2005