    about 3 seconds before it plays the actual file, does anyone know how
    to stop it from doing this? It gets pretty annoying to have to wait
    when you're trying to play different files.

    Alien, Nov 15, 2005

  2. Alien

    old jon Guest

    "Alien" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Every time I play an mpeg file, Media Player says "Connecting" for
    > about 3 seconds before it plays the actual file, does anyone know how
    > to stop it from doing this? It gets pretty annoying to have to wait
    > when you're trying to play different files.

    WMP is trying to gather info for the file you are playing. Go to
    Tools\Options\Media library and turn off gather info etc.
    bw..OJ

    old jon, Nov 15, 2005

  3. Alien

    Book End Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "Alien" <> wrote in message
    >> Every time I play an mpeg file, Media Player says "Connecting" for
    >> about 3 seconds before it plays the actual file, does anyone know how
    >> to stop it from doing this? It gets pretty annoying to have to wait
    >> when you're trying to play different files.
    >>

    > WMP is trying to gather info for the file you are playing. Go to
    > Tools\Options\Media library and turn off gather info etc.
    > bw..OJ

    & next time pay attention to installation options.

    Book End, Nov 16, 2005
  4. Alien

    old jon Guest

    "Book End" <> wrote in message
    > "old jon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Alien" <> wrote in message
    >>> Every time I play an mpeg file, Media Player says "Connecting" for
    >>> about 3 seconds before it plays the actual file, does anyone know how
    >>> to stop it from doing this? It gets pretty annoying to have to wait
    >>> when you're trying to play different files.
    >>>

    >> WMP is trying to gather info for the file you are playing. Go to
    >> Tools\Options\Media library and turn off gather info etc.
    >> bw..OJ
    >>

    > & next time pay attention to installation options.

    %. }

    old jon, Nov 16, 2005
  5. Alien

    me Guest

    "old jon" <> wrote in message

    > "Alien" <> wrote in message
    >> Every time I play an mpeg file, Media Player says "Connecting" for
    >> about 3 seconds before it plays the actual file, does anyone know how
    >> to stop it from doing this? It gets pretty annoying to have to wait
    >> when you're trying to play different files.
    >>

    > WMP is trying to gather info for the file you are playing. Go to
    > Tools\Options\Media library and turn off gather info etc.
    > bw..OJ

    Cool,that helped me with the same prob.Cheers

    me, Nov 18, 2005
  6. Alien

    Anthropy Guest

    On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 01:10:32 -0800, "me" <> wrote:

    >"old jon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Alien" <> wrote in message
    >>> Every time I play an mpeg file, Media Player says "Connecting" for
    >>> about 3 seconds before it plays the actual file, does anyone know how
    >>> to stop it from doing this? It gets pretty annoying to have to wait
    >>> when you're trying to play different files.
    >>>

    >> WMP is trying to gather info for the file you are playing. Go to
    >> Tools\Options\Media library and turn off gather info etc.
    >> bw..OJ
    >>

    >Cool,that helped me with the same prob.Cheers

    Windows Media Player tries to connect to the net (Microsoft) to report
    usage every time you play a file. Check your firewall logs. Even if
    you block it going out in your firewall it either makes another entry
    which you haven't blocked or its gets out via other windows
    components. WMP is a piece of spyware but like IE you have to have
    the shit on your PC if you want to play WMV's or get Windows updates.
    The best you can do is set your firewall to report on ANY attempts to
    leave your machine and block it though I have heard this can affect
    its, and your PC's functionality.
    Best solution, dump Windows for another OS.

    Anthropy, Nov 18, 2005