How to stop these "SECURITY POPUPS"??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jimmy Dean, Oct 13, 2003.

  1. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Running WinXP Pro. Have Norton Internet Security 2003. Had two popup
    windows which suddenly appeared today - content as follows (recorded
    in Event Viewer, System):

    Application popup: Messenger Service : Message from Tel: 1902 226 159
    to SECURITY ADMINNTE on 10/13/2003 8:39:44 PM

    THIS MESSAGE HAS JUST GOT THROUGH ALL YOUR COMPUTER SECURITY SYSTEMS

    THESE "POP UP" MESSAGES COULD REPRESENT A SIGNIFICANT SECURITY RISK

    PREVENT "POP UPS" & STOP SPAMMERS ACCESSING YOUR COMPUTER IN LESS THAN
    A MINUTE

    NO SOFTWARE TO BUY OR INSTALL

    CALL OUR TECHNICAL SUPPORT LINE FOR
    EASY TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS:

    TELEPHONE: 1902 226 159

    (write down this number BEFORE you close window or press 'OK')

    ICAS JE4 9NN
    calls cost $5.45 per minute from a landline
    Jimmy Dean, Oct 13, 2003

  2. Jimmy Dean

    Bryan Guest

    "Jimmy Dean" <> wrote in message
    > Running WinXP Pro. Have Norton Internet Security 2003. Had two popup
    > windows which suddenly appeared today - content as follows (recorded
    > in Event Viewer, System):
    >
    > Application popup: Messenger Service : Message from Tel: 1902 226 159

    <snip>

    Big clue here _______________________ methinks! ;)
    Bryan, Oct 13, 2003

  3. Jimmy Dean

    Mcploppy © Guest

    Jimmy Dean bashed at the keyboard and said :

    > Running WinXP Pro. Have Norton Internet Security 2003. Had two popup
    > windows which suddenly appeared today - content as follows (recorded
    > in Event Viewer, System):
    >
    > Application popup: Messenger Service : Message from Tel: 1902 226 159
    > to SECURITY ADMINNTE on 10/13/2003 8:39:44 PM
    >
    > THIS MESSAGE HAS JUST GOT THROUGH ALL YOUR COMPUTER SECURITY SYSTEMS
    >
    > THESE "POP UP" MESSAGES COULD REPRESENT A SIGNIFICANT SECURITY RISK
    >
    > PREVENT "POP UPS" & STOP SPAMMERS ACCESSING YOUR COMPUTER IN LESS THAN
    > A MINUTE
    >
    > NO SOFTWARE TO BUY OR INSTALL
    >
    > CALL OUR TECHNICAL SUPPORT LINE FOR
    > EASY TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS:
    >
    > TELEPHONE: 1902 226 159
    >
    > (write down this number BEFORE you close window or press 'OK')
    >
    > ICAS JE4 9NN
    > calls cost $5.45 per minute from a landline

    Hi,

    If your messages look like this: http://tinyurl.com/is9k

    The messages are coming from "The Messenger Service" (NOT MSN Messenger)

    *However, the messenger service is not the problem.* The Windows Messenger
    service allows programs to inform a computer's operator of an event, for
    example, printer software may use it to pop up print job status, so turning
    off the messenger service is not always the right solution.

    The real problem is the fact that you are not running a firewall, or if you
    are, you haven't blocked ports 137-139

    A good firewall can be found at www.zonelabs.com

    To remove the ability for anyone in the world to pop up messages on your
    computer, you can disable the Messenger service.

    Its easy to reverse at a later time if you wish to do so.

    There is an audio file available that will talk you through the process, it
    is available from
    http://www.updatexp.com/media-files/messenger-service-spam.wma

    Instructions below will guide you through the process of stopping the
    messenger service.

    Windows XP Home
    Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
    Click Performance and Maintenance
    Click Administrative Tools
    Double click Services Scroll
    down and highlight "Messenger"
    Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
    Click the STOP button.
    Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
    Click OK

    Windows XP Professional
    Click Start->Settings ->Control Panel
    Click Administrative Tools
    Click Services
    Double click Services Scroll
    down and highlight "Messenger"
    Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
    Click the STOP button.
    Select Disable or Manual in the Startup Type scroll bar
    Click OK

    More information on thsis can be found at:

    Messenger Service of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;168893

    Messenger Service Window That Contains an Internet Advertisement Appears
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330904

    HTH
    --
    Mcploppy ©

    { Remove both MyShoes to email me}
    { Homepage: http://tinyurl.com/bbel }
    { Download Messenger 6 http://tinyurl.com/h7co }
    Mcploppy ©, Oct 13, 2003
  4. Jimmy Dean

    DaveW Guest

    Blocking ports 137-139 as mentioned in another reply is not enough.
    You also have to block ports 445, 1026, and 1027.

    DaveW, Oct 13, 2003
  5. Jimmy Dean

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:50:59 +1000, Jimmy Dean wrote:

    >Running WinXP Pro. Have Norton Internet Security 2003. Had two popup
    >windows which suddenly appeared today - content as follows (recorded
    >in Event Viewer, System):
    >
    >Application popup: Messenger Service : Message from Tel: 1902 226 159
    >to SECURITY ADMINNTE on 10/13/2003 8:39:44 PM

    And there's your answer. Disable the Messenger service.

    http://8help.ohio-state.edu/913.html
    http://www.pcreview.co.uk/article.php?threadid=3789
    http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

    <snip>

    --
    <rw-rw-rw> I don't care if it can reproduce sound well enough for
    dolphins to talk to each other through it, if you can't grep it it's
    Mara, Oct 13, 2003
  6. Mara wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:50:59 +1000, Jimmy Dean wrote:
    >
    >> Running WinXP Pro. Have Norton Internet Security 2003. Had two popup
    >> windows which suddenly appeared today - content as follows (recorded
    >> in Event Viewer, System):
    >>
    >> Application popup: Messenger Service : Message from Tel: 1902 226
    >> 159 to SECURITY ADMINNTE on 10/13/2003 8:39:44 PM

    > And there's your answer. Disable the Messenger service.
    >
    > http://8help.ohio-state.edu/913.html
    > http://www.pcreview.co.uk/article.php?threadid=3789
    > http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/
    >
    > <snip>

    AND add a firewall AS WELL.
    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 13, 2003
  7. Jimmy Dean

    Mara Guest

    On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:32:02 +0100, Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 20:50:59 +1000, Jimmy Dean wrote:
    >>
    >>> Running WinXP Pro. Have Norton Internet Security 2003. Had two popup
    >>> windows which suddenly appeared today - content as follows (recorded
    >>> in Event Viewer, System):
    >>>
    >>> Application popup: Messenger Service : Message from Tel: 1902 226
    >>> 159 to SECURITY ADMINNTE on 10/13/2003 8:39:44 PM

    >> And there's your answer. Disable the Messenger service.
    >>
    >> http://8help.ohio-state.edu/913.html
    >> http://www.pcreview.co.uk/article.php?threadid=3789
    >> http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/
    >>
    >> <snip>

    >AND add a firewall AS WELL.

    Yes. Personally I'd ditch Norton entirely and go with the programs that are
    usually recommended in 24HSHD, including a firewall, (NOT XP's,) anti-spyware
    programs, and some other AV.

    (After all, the OP shows just how effective NIS _really_ is. ;) )

    "And a router, if the OP can afford it. But I'm also both picky and paranoid
    while online. YMMV."

    Mara, Oct 13, 2003