    use by another open program.

    What's the secret to pissing it off forever?

    Alternatively, has anyone ever actually found it useful?

    Metaphoid, Jul 3, 2003

  2. Metaphoid

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... Metaphoid said:

    > I've turned off messenger's boot up with windows option in it's preferences,
    > but it still starts up whenever I open Outlook Express. It doesn't log in,
    > but it does sit in the system tray and refuses to exit, claiming it is in
    > use by another open program.
    >
    > What's the secret to pissing it off forever?
    >
    > Alternatively, has anyone ever actually found it useful?

    In OE
    Tools | Options | General tab (I think)
    Turn it off here too.

    --
    www.absey-vine.co.uk/
    freeware, helpdesk, ad-aware

    Brian H¹©, Jul 3, 2003

  3. Metaphoid

    Metaphoid Guest

    "Brian H¹©" <> wrote in message
    > Errrrr...erm... Metaphoid said:
    >
    > > I've turned off messenger's boot up with windows option in it's

    preferences,
    > > but it still starts up whenever I open Outlook Express. It doesn't log

    in,
    > > but it does sit in the system tray and refuses to exit, claiming it is

    in
    > > use by another open program.
    > >
    > > What's the secret to pissing it off forever?
    > >
    > > Alternatively, has anyone ever actually found it useful?

    > In OE
    > Tools | Options | General tab (I think)
    > Turn it off here too.

    Piece of piss.

    Cheers mate.

    Metaphoid, Jul 3, 2003
  4. Metaphoid

    alfa1 Guest

    You may take either one of the following methods to get rid of the Windows
    Messenger at Startup.

    (1) if you have installed Service Pack 1 in winXP, You can go to Control
    Panel in WindowsXP, "Add or Remove Programs", Add/Remove Windows Components,
    unchecked the box [ ] Windows Messenger to uninstall it.

    (2) If in case, you cannot find it in the above path, the Windows Messenger
    component is hiding (which is made by default in XP without the SP1)

    Open WINDOWS\inf\sysoc.inf
    Open the sysoc.inf file by notepad or any text editor, find
    the line under [Components] section as following:

    [Components]
    msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

    Remove the "hide" and change it like this.

    [Components]
    msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

    Save the file.

    Open "Add or Remove Programs", uninstall it as Step (1) from the
    windows component list.

    (3)otherwise try downloading freeware (XP-antiSpy) which has messanger
    uninstall option with many other tweaks.

    alfa1, Jul 3, 2003
  5. Metaphoid

    UnderDog Guest

    For Windows 2000 and XP

    Click on Start
    Click Run
    Type: services.msc
    Double-click on Messenger
    Find Service status and select stop
    Click the scroll down box in Startup type, choose Disabled
    Click OK.

    For Windows 95, 98, and ME

    Click on Start
    Select Settings