How to split a large avi file into smaller avi by size

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Avner, Oct 31, 2005.

  1. Avner

    Avner Guest

    Hi,

    I'm looking for a way to split a large avi file into smaller avi files that
    will each fit on a DVD.

    I'm acquiring a movie from my DV camcoder into the computer. The size of the
    file is approximately 12 GB.
    The input movie file format is avi which can be played in "Windows Media
    Player".

    Since the file is for archive, I don't want to compromize the quality.
    Therefor the same avi format needs to be retained.
    I'm looking for a way to split the file automatically by size.

    I have seen programs that can split the file by automatically by size (e.g.
    "Easy Video Splitter", "Boilsoft AVI & MPG Splitter") but unfortunately
    these programs work on divx files and fail to operate on the "Windows Media"
    avi format.

    Thanks in advance,
    Avner
    Avner, Oct 31, 2005

  2. Avner

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Avner" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a way to split a large avi file into smaller avi
    > files that will each fit on a DVD.
    >
    > I'm acquiring a movie from my DV camcoder into the computer. The size
    > of the file is approximately 12 GB.
    > The input movie file format is avi which can be played in "Windows
    > Media Player".
    >
    > Since the file is for archive, I don't want to compromize the quality.
    > Therefor the same avi format needs to be retained.
    > I'm looking for a way to split the file automatically by size.
    >
    > I have seen programs that can split the file by automatically by size
    > (e.g. "Easy Video Splitter", "Boilsoft AVI & MPG Splitter") but
    > unfortunately these programs work on divx files and fail to operate
    > on the "Windows Media" avi format.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Avner

    It's not automatic, but can't you split AVI files in Windows Movie
    Maker? And wouldn't it be better to pick scene changes to split on
    anyway?
    --
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html