    within router itself? The box is running linux 2.4.17(ifconfig, brctl
    commands available, and access to /proc).

    Dmitri

    dmitri, Apr 2, 2007

  2. dmitri

    Dave Saville Guest

    On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 22:46:34 -0500, dmitri wrote:

    >Netgear dg834g is an adsl router with 4-port-switch bridged with wi-fi
    >interface. I want to record my VOIP conversations by sniffing the traffic
    >to/from ATA connected to the switch. I think of connecting my laptop to
    >the switch and running erhereal on it to acheave this. How can I degrade
    >switch into hub? I read that I could overflow arp tables for the switch
    >to failover to hub(repeater) mode. Is there any more gracefull way from
    >within router itself? The box is running linux 2.4.17(ifconfig, brctl
    >commands available, and access to /proc).

    Why degrade the whole switch? Get a cheapo hub second hand and put it between
    the ATA and the switch. With just the PC and the ATA on it you won't notice any
    difference. But in any case how do you propose to play back a recorded session?

    --

    Regards

    Dave Saville

    Dave Saville, Apr 2, 2007

  3. dmitri

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Dave Saville wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 22:46:34 -0500, dmitri wrote:
    >
    >> Netgear dg834g is an adsl router with 4-port-switch bridged with wi-fi
    >> interface. I want to record my VOIP conversations by sniffing the traffic
    >> to/from ATA connected to the switch. I think of connecting my laptop to
    >> the switch and running erhereal on it to acheave this. How can I degrade
    >> switch into hub? I read that I could overflow arp tables for the switch
    >> to failover to hub(repeater) mode. Is there any more gracefull way from
    >> within router itself? The box is running linux 2.4.17(ifconfig, brctl
    >> commands available, and access to /proc).

    > Why degrade the whole switch? Get a cheapo hub second hand and put it between
    > the ATA and the switch. With just the PC and the ATA on it you won't notice any
    > difference. But in any case how do you propose to play back a recorded session?

    Using Ethereal (or Wireshark as it's now called) you can generate an
    audio file from the RTP packets easily.

    I would also suggest trying to find a hub on ebay or somewhere but they
    are getting harder to find, not helped by the way a lot of sellers on
    there don't realise that a hub and a switch aren't the same thing!

    Another alternative would be to buy a managed switch which has a
    "monitor port" feature but this is probably too expensive for what you want.

    cheers,
    Paul.

    Paul Hayes, Apr 2, 2007
  4. In article <4610c97d$0$765$>,
    Paul Hayes <> wrote:
    >Dave Saville wrote:
    >> On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 22:46:34 -0500, dmitri wrote:
    >>
    >>> Netgear dg834g is an adsl router with 4-port-switch bridged with wi-fi
    >>> interface. I want to record my VOIP conversations by sniffing the traffic
    >>> to/from ATA connected to the switch. I think of connecting my laptop to
    >>> the switch and running erhereal on it to acheave this. How can I degrade
    >>> switch into hub? I read that I could overflow arp tables for the switch
    >>> to failover to hub(repeater) mode. Is there any more gracefull way from
    >>> within router itself? The box is running linux 2.4.17(ifconfig, brctl
    >>> commands available, and access to /proc).

    >> Why degrade the whole switch? Get a cheapo hub second hand and put it between
    >> the ATA and the switch. With just the PC and the ATA on it you won't

    >notice any
    >> difference. But in any case how do you propose to play back a recorded

    >session?
    >>

    >Using Ethereal (or Wireshark as it's now called) you can generate an
    >audio file from the RTP packets easily.
    >
    >I would also suggest trying to find a hub on ebay or somewhere but they
    >are getting harder to find, not helped by the way a lot of sellers on
    >there don't realise that a hub and a switch aren't the same thing!
    >
    >Another alternative would be to buy a managed switch which has a
    >"monitor port" feature but this is probably too expensive for what you want.

    Look up arp cache poisoning/spoofing.

    Eg. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARP_spoofing

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Apr 2, 2007
  5. dmitri

    SteveC Guest

    >I would also suggest trying to find a hub on ebay or somewhere but they
    >are getting harder to find, not helped by the way a lot of sellers on
    >there don't realise that a hub and a switch aren't the same thing!

    I've got an old Netgear 4 port ethernet HUB in my loft somewhere, with
    power supply.
    Would you like me to see if I can find it?

    Regards
    Steve

    SteveC, Apr 3, 2007
  6. dmitri

    dmitri Guest

    On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 14:08:37 +0100, SteveC wrote:

    >>I would also suggest trying to find a hub on ebay or somewhere but they
    >>are getting harder to find, not helped by the way a lot of sellers on
    >>there don't realise that a hub and a switch aren't the same thing!

    > I've got an old Netgear 4 port ethernet HUB in my loft somewhere, with
    > power supply.
    > Would you like me to see if I can find it?
    >
    > Regards
    > Steve

    Thank you Steve. I'll try to "soft-solve" that.

    Regards,
    Dmitri

    dmitri, Apr 5, 2007