How to shrink pictures with Irfanview for emailing to friends & family

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Erica Eshoo, Nov 9, 2007.

  1. Erica Eshoo

    Erica Eshoo Guest

    If there is a better way, more automated freeware way to shrink a directory
    of pictures for emailing to friends and family, please let me know.

    When I take a batch of pictures, like Halloween pictures, to send to
    friends and family, here are the dozen steps I constantly perform.

    1. Move the pictures from the camera to the computer hard disk
    2. Manually rotate each JPG using the ctrl-J Irfanview lossless plugin
    3. Create a directory in the photo directory called "shrunk"
    4. Open a JPEG with Irfanview & press B (Batch Conversion)
    5. Press the "Add All" button in the Batch Conversion box
    6. Press the "Use this directory as output" button
    7. Press the "Browse" button to select the "shrunk" subdirectory
    8. Press the "Options" button & set JPEG Quality to 75%
    8. Press the "Set advanced options" button
    9. Set RESIZE to "Set long side to 640 pixels"
    10. Enter "72" for the "Set DPI value" & "Use Resampe function"
    12. Press "Set rename options" & set "Name pattern" to halloween07_##
    12. Press the "Start" button to create the emailable shrunken photographs

    This works fine to create 100Kbyte pictures out of 3megabyte JPEGs but it's
    a dozen steps, even if you save a template, and the result is 100 to 150
    kbyte pictures.

    Is there a more automated, freeware method to get small pics in batch mode?
    Erica Eshoo, Nov 9, 2007

  2. Erica Eshoo

    ChrisM Guest

    In message tA_Yi.43277$,
    Erica Eshoo <> Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

    > If there is a better way, more automated freeware way to shrink a
    > directory of pictures for emailing to friends and family, please let
    > me know.
    >
    > When I take a batch of pictures, like Halloween pictures, to send to
    > friends and family, here are the dozen steps I constantly perform.
    >
    > 1. Move the pictures from the camera to the computer hard disk
    > 2. Manually rotate each JPG using the ctrl-J Irfanview lossless plugin
    > 3. Create a directory in the photo directory called "shrunk"
    > 4. Open a JPEG with Irfanview & press B (Batch Conversion)
    > 5. Press the "Add All" button in the Batch Conversion box
    > 6. Press the "Use this directory as output" button
    > 7. Press the "Browse" button to select the "shrunk" subdirectory
    > 8. Press the "Options" button & set JPEG Quality to 75%
    > 8. Press the "Set advanced options" button
    > 9. Set RESIZE to "Set long side to 640 pixels"
    > 10. Enter "72" for the "Set DPI value" & "Use Resampe function"
    > 12. Press "Set rename options" & set "Name pattern" to halloween07_##
    > 12. Press the "Start" button to create the emailable shrunken
    > photographs
    >
    > This works fine to create 100Kbyte pictures out of 3megabyte JPEGs
    > but it's a dozen steps, even if you save a template, and the result
    > is 100 to 150 kbyte pictures.
    >
    > Is there a more automated, freeware method to get small pics in batch
    > mode?

    You could try looking at Picasa (available from Google) which will 'shrink'
    and email photos pretty much automatically(certainly in a lot less steps
    than you list above!!).

    --
    Regards,
    Chris.
    ChrisM, Nov 9, 2007

  3. Erica Eshoo

    Pat Guest

    On Nov 9, 9:58 am, Erica Eshoo <> wrote:
    > If there is a better way, more automated freeware way to shrink a directory
    > of pictures for emailing to friends and family, please let me know.
    >
    > When I take a batch of pictures, like Halloween pictures, to send to
    > friends and family, here are the dozen steps I constantly perform.
    >
    > 1. Move the pictures from the camera to the computer hard disk
    > 2. Manually rotate each JPG using the ctrl-J Irfanview lossless plugin
    > 3. Create a directory in the photo directory called "shrunk"
    > 4. Open a JPEG with Irfanview & press B (Batch Conversion)
    > 5. Press the "Add All" button in the Batch Conversion box
    > 6. Press the "Use this directory as output" button
    > 7. Press the "Browse" button to select the "shrunk" subdirectory
    > 8. Press the "Options" button & set JPEG Quality to 75%
    > 8. Press the "Set advanced options" button
    > 9. Set RESIZE to "Set long side to 640 pixels"
    > 10. Enter "72" for the "Set DPI value" & "Use Resampe function"
    > 12. Press "Set rename options" & set "Name pattern" to halloween07_##
    > 12. Press the "Start" button to create the emailable shrunken photographs
    >
    > This works fine to create 100Kbyte pictures out of 3megabyte JPEGs but it's
    > a dozen steps, even if you save a template, and the result is 100 to 150
    > kbyte pictures.
    >
    > Is there a more automated, freeware method to get small pics in batch mode?

    After reading your post, I have no idea what you're trying to
    accomplish with all of that. Here's a MUCH easier way to do it. I
    use Thunderbird but there's an equivalent in Outlook. Highlight all
    of the pictures you want to send and drag them into Thunderbird as
    attachments. Then hit "Send". Thunderbird then asks if you want to
    resize for emailing. You say yes and it's done. It's no harder than
    that.

    Am I missing something?
    Pat, Nov 9, 2007
  4. Erica Eshoo wrote:
    > If there is a better way, more automated freeware way to shrink a
    > directory of pictures for emailing to friends and family, please let
    > me know.

    [...]
    > This works fine to create 100Kbyte pictures out of 3megabyte JPEGs
    > but it's a dozen steps, even if you save a template, and the result
    > is 100 to 150 kbyte pictures.
    >
    > Is there a more automated, freeware method to get small pics in batch
    > mode?

    Well, although it's not freeware (but comes with MS Office and therefore may
    be on your HD anyway) and I'm risking a flame war.

    Microsoft Office Picture Manager makes it very easy:
    - Open MS Office PM
    - add all the files you want to shrink
    - click Ctrl-A to select all files
    - Click on "File -> Export"
    - select the size you want
    - select a destination folder
    - click "Ok"
    and you are done.
    Jürgen Exner, Nov 9, 2007
  5. J|rgen wrote on Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:18:32 GMT:

    JE> Erica Eshoo wrote:
    ??>> If there is a better way, more automated freeware way to
    ??>> shrink a directory of pictures for emailing to friends and
    ??>> family, please let me know.
    JE> [...]
    ??>> This works fine to create 100Kbyte pictures out of
    ??>> 3megabyte JPEGs but it's a dozen steps, even if you save a
    ??>> template, and the result is 100 to 150 kbyte pictures.
    ??>>
    ??>> Is there a more automated, freeware method to get small
    ??>> pics in batch mode?

    JE> Well, although it's not freeware (but comes with MS Office
    JE> and therefore may be on your HD anyway) and I'm risking a
    JE> flame war.

    Have you ever looked into Microsoft's Power Toys, available for
    free? Once installed, you will have a resize option on
    right-clicking: 240x320, 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768 or custom.
    An unlimited number of pictures can be resized at once by
    selecting them all.

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
    James Silverton, Nov 9, 2007
  6. Erica Eshoo

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    How about

    1. Move the pictures from the camera to the computer hard disk
    2. Copy them to a directory called "toshrink"
    3. Run "do.bat"

    It rotates, shrinks and puts the photos in an archive called
    "latest.zip" that you can email or upload.

    You can find do.bat and supporting files (all free software) here:

    http://img.ourdoings.com/windows.html

    --

    http://ourdoings.com/
    Amazingly simple photo sharing
    Bruce Lewis, Nov 9, 2007
  7. Erica Eshoo

    Erica Eshoo Guest

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 07:14:34 -0800, Pat wrote:

    > Thunderbird then asks if you want to resize for emailing.
    > Am I missing something?

    I'll try Thunderbird!
    Erica Eshoo, Nov 9, 2007
  8. Erica Eshoo

    M Guest

    "Erica Eshoo" <> wrote in message

    > When I take a batch of pictures, like Halloween pictures, to send to
    > friends and family, here are the dozen steps I constantly perform.
    >
    > 1. Move the pictures from the camera to the computer hard disk

    Can't avoid that although IView could probably just resize them from the
    flash drive.

    > 2. Manually rotate each JPG using the ctrl-J Irfanview lossless plugin

    Why are you rotating EACH picture? Do you take all your photos sideways or
    something? In any case, I think Irfanview can do this in bulk too, so no
    need to do this manually for each photo.

    > 3. Create a directory in the photo directory called "shrunk"

    Why do you create a new folder each time? Why not just keep using this same
    folder?

    > 10. Enter "72" for the "Set DPI value" & "Use Resampe function"

    No need to set the DPI if they are going to view it on their computer. If
    they are going to print it, the program they use to print will likely set
    the DPI to something like 200 at their end. No need for you to specify the
    DPI for email.

    > 12. Press "Set rename options" & set "Name pattern" to halloween07_##

    Why do this at all? When you send them off with an explanatory email, I
    think people will figure the subject material out. You could simply choose
    to give them a more generic name. Irfanview will forever simply afterword
    simply increment the number so that you never have to do this step again.
    (See comments below).

    > 12. Press the "Start" button to create the emailable shrunken photographs

    > Is there a more automated, freeware method to get small pics in batch
    > mode?

    Irfanview keeps the same settings unless you change them. So you should only
    have to do steps 4, 5 and 13 (i.e. "press start") ever afterwards.

    M, Nov 9, 2007
  9. Erica Eshoo

    Paul Furman Guest

    Re: How to shrink pictures with Irfanview for emailing to friends& family

    M wrote:
    > Erica Eshoo wrote

    >> 10. Enter "72" for the "Set DPI value" & "Use Resample function"

    > No need to set the DPI if they are going to view it on their computer. If
    > they are going to print it, the program they use to print will likely set
    > the DPI to something like 200 at their end. No need for you to specify the
    > DPI for email.

    Another thing to add is sharpening.

    > Irfanview keeps the same settings unless you change them. So you should only
    > have to do steps 4, 5 and 13 (i.e. "press start") ever afterwards.

    You can save out the settings also & reload those in case you change
    settings for different tasks.

    >> Is there a more automated, freeware method to get small pics in batch
    >> mode?

    It's possible to set up a batch file to run iview at the command line.
    Probably a hassle to figure out though.
    Paul Furman, Nov 9, 2007
  10. Erica Eshoo

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 14:58:33 +0000, Erica Eshoo wrote:

    > If there is a better way, more automated freeware way to shrink a directory
    > of pictures for emailing to friends and family, please let me know.
    >
    > When I take a batch of pictures, like Halloween pictures, to send to
    > friends and family, here are the dozen steps I constantly perform.
    >
    > 1. Move the pictures from the camera to the computer hard disk
    > 2. Manually rotate each JPG using the ctrl-J Irfanview lossless plugin
    > 3. Create a directory in the photo directory called "shrunk"
    > 4. Open a JPEG with Irfanview & press B (Batch Conversion)
    > 5. Press the "Add All" button in the Batch Conversion box
    > 6. Press the "Use this directory as output" button
    > 7. Press the "Browse" button to select the "shrunk" subdirectory
    > 8. Press the "Options" button & set JPEG Quality to 75%
    > 8. Press the "Set advanced options" button
    > 9. Set RESIZE to "Set long side to 640 pixels"
    > 10. Enter "72" for the "Set DPI value" & "Use Resampe function"
    > 12. Press "Set rename options" & set "Name pattern" to halloween07_##
    > 12. Press the "Start" button to create the emailable shrunken photographs
    >
    > This works fine to create 100Kbyte pictures out of 3megabyte JPEGs but it's
    > a dozen steps, even if you save a template, and the result is 100 to 150
    > kbyte pictures.
    >
    > Is there a more automated, freeware method to get small pics in batch mode?

    Imagemagick would do that quite easily. I use imageindex to resize an
    entire gallery for placing on my web site.
    ray, Nov 9, 2007
  11. Erica Eshoo

    Guest

    , Nov 9, 2007
  12. Erica Eshoo

    Pat Guest

    On Nov 9, 11:25 am, Erica Eshoo <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 07:14:34 -0800, Pat wrote:
    > > Thunderbird then asks if you want to resize for emailing.
    > > Am I missing something?

    > I'll try Thunderbird!

    Try this for Outlook or anything else. Open "My Computer" or "My
    Documents" or whatever and navigate to the pictures. Highlight
    (select) them. Right click on the selection and you'll get a Pop-up
    window. Select "Send to_" then "Mail Recipient". The next pop-up is
    for resizing (at least on my computer) and it then goes right to the
    compose screen.

    In any case, you're trying to think too hard for this.
    Pat, Nov 9, 2007
  13. Erica Eshoo

    Jim S Guest

    > Is there a more automated, freeware method to get small pics in batch mode?

    FastStone Image Viewer - select the pictures - press email - use default
    size or change.
    Much better program than Irfan IMO

    --
    Jim S
    Tyneside UK
    Jim S, Nov 9, 2007
  14. Erica Eshoo

    ellis_jay Guest

    Erica Eshoo wrote:
    > If there is a better way, more automated freeware way to shrink a
    > directory of pictures for emailing to friends and family, please let
    > me know.

    Imageresizer here:

    http://www.mihov.com/eng/ir.html

    pixresizer here:

    http://bluefive.pair.com

    --
    When people are engaged in something they are not proud of, they do
    not welcome witnesses. In fact, they come to believe the witness causes

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Nov 9, 2007
  15. Erica Eshoo

    Marie Paige Guest

    "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > On Nov 9, 11:25 am, Erica Eshoo <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 07:14:34 -0800, Pat wrote:
    >> > Thunderbird then asks if you want to resize for emailing.
    >> > Am I missing something?

    >> I'll try Thunderbird!

    > Try this for Outlook or anything else. Open "My Computer" or "My
    > Documents" or whatever and navigate to the pictures. Highlight
    > (select) them. Right click on the selection and you'll get a Pop-up
    > window. Select "Send to_" then "Mail Recipient". The next pop-up is
    > for resizing (at least on my computer) and it then goes right to the
    > compose screen.

    That choice do not exists on WXP. Maybe you use Vista?

    Marie Paige, Nov 9, 2007
  16. Erica Eshoo

    Marty Fremen Guest

    Erica Eshoo <> wrote:

    > 2. Manually rotate each JPG using the ctrl-J Irfanview lossless plugin

    If your camera puts the orientation info into the EXIF data during picture
    taking, then you can use the "autorotate" option of the lossless plugin,
    and do them all at once.

    Just hit T go to thumbnail view, CTRL-A to select all, then SHIFT-J and
    away you go.
    Marty Fremen, Nov 10, 2007
  17. Erica Eshoo

    OG Guest

    > If there is a better way, more automated freeware way to shrink a
    > directory
    > of pictures for emailing to friends and family, please let me know.
    >
    > When I take a batch of pictures, like Halloween pictures, to send to
    > friends and family, here are the dozen steps I constantly perform.
    >
    > 1. Move the pictures from the camera to the computer hard disk
    > 2. Manually rotate each JPG using the ctrl-J Irfanview lossless plugin
    > 3. Create a directory in the photo directory called "shrunk"
    > 4. Open a JPEG with Irfanview & press B (Batch Conversion)
    > 5. Press the "Add All" button in the Batch Conversion box
    > 6. Press the "Use this directory as output" button
    > 7. Press the "Browse" button to select the "shrunk" subdirectory
    > 8. Press the "Options" button & set JPEG Quality to 75%
    > 8. Press the "Set advanced options" button
    > 9. Set RESIZE to "Set long side to 640 pixels"
    > 10. Enter "72" for the "Set DPI value" & "Use Resampe function"
    > 12. Press "Set rename options" & set "Name pattern" to halloween07_##
    > 12. Press the "Start" button to create the emailable shrunken photographs
    >
    > This works fine to create 100Kbyte pictures out of 3megabyte JPEGs but
    > it's
    > a dozen steps, even if you save a template, and the result is 100 to 150
    > kbyte pictures.
    >
    > Is there a more automated, freeware method to get small pics in batch
    > mode?

    You can do most of that in IV commandline mode (maybe not the renaming
    function).

    This seems to do what you want.
    "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" *.jpg /jpgq=75 /resize=(640,640)
    /aspectratio /dpi(72,72) /convert=C:\Reduced\*.jpg

    Create a notepad file containing the relevant command (all in one line) and
    save the notepad file to your camera's memory card giving it a name like
    RunIView.bat.

    Take photos. Plug in camera. Navigate to its memory card
    Double Click the RunIView.Bat file, let it complete

    Go to the C:\Reduced file and rotate the images that need rotating.
    You will still need to rename the images.
    OG, Nov 10, 2007
  18. Erica Eshoo

    Pat Guest

    On Nov 9, 6:19 pm, "Marie Paige" <> wrote:
    > "Pat" <> wrote in message

    > >> I'll try Thunderbird!

    > > Try this for Outlook or anything else. Open "My Computer" or "My
    > > Documents" or whatever and navigate to the pictures. Highlight
    > > (select) them. Right click on the selection and you'll get a Pop-up
    > > window. Select "Send to_" then "Mail Recipient". The next pop-up is
    > > for resizing (at least on my computer) and it then goes right to the
    > > compose screen.

    > That choice do not exists on WXP. Maybe you use Vista?
    >

    > > In any case, you're trying to think too hard for this.

    I guess I can't help you. That's how it is on all of my version of
    Vista going back about 5 years.
    Pat, Nov 10, 2007
  19. Erica Eshoo

    k Guest

    | If there is a better way, more automated freeware way to shrink a
    directory
    | of pictures for emailing to friends and family, please let me know.
    |
    | When I take a batch of pictures, like Halloween pictures, to send to
    | friends and family, here are the dozen steps I constantly perform.
    |
    | 1. Move the pictures from the camera to the computer hard disk
    | 2. Manually rotate each JPG using the ctrl-J Irfanview lossless plugin
    | 3. Create a directory in the photo directory called "shrunk"
    | 4. Open a JPEG with Irfanview & press B (Batch Conversion)
    | 5. Press the "Add All" button in the Batch Conversion box
    | 6. Press the "Use this directory as output" button
    | 7. Press the "Browse" button to select the "shrunk" subdirectory
    | 8. Press the "Options" button & set JPEG Quality to 75%
    | 8. Press the "Set advanced options" button
    | 9. Set RESIZE to "Set long side to 640 pixels"
    | 10. Enter "72" for the "Set DPI value" & "Use Resampe function"
    | 12. Press "Set rename options" & set "Name pattern" to halloween07_##
    | 12. Press the "Start" button to create the emailable shrunken photographs
    |
    | This works fine to create 100Kbyte pictures out of 3megabyte JPEGs but
    it's
    | a dozen steps, even if you save a template, and the result is 100 to 150
    | kbyte pictures.
    |
    | Is there a more automated, freeware method to get small pics in batch
    mode?

    yes, in irfanview you can run batch commands!

    so simply create a few folders on your PC somewhere

    say.. drop the correctly oriented images in a folder called 'correct'
    the ones to be rotated right ina folder called 'right'
    ones to be rotated left in a folder called 'left'

    create a batch command in notepad to process all these as appropriate then
    grab the results and drop them in a file called 'output for emailing' or
    somesuch, save the batch file as something like 'process images.bat' and
    when you want to use it, simply double click this file and the images will
    appear resized and ready to go in the output folder

    have a look in your irfanview folder for a file called 'options.txt' and
    read it.. it's really very easy :)

    Once you master it, you'll be writing batch commands for 90% of what you
    need and it takes mere seconds to run

    karl
    k, Nov 10, 2007
  20. Erica Eshoo

    OG Guest

    > This seems to do what you want.
    > "C:\Program Files\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" *.jpg /jpgq=75
    > /resize=(640,640) /aspectratio /dpi(72,72) /convert=C:\Reduced\*.jpg
    >

    > Go to the C:\Reduced file and rotate the images that need rotating.
    > You will still need to rename the images.

    Oops, that should be "Go to the C:\Reduced folder" (not file)
    OG, Nov 10, 2007