How to share wired Internet connection in hotel using two wireless PCs

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Cindy, Sep 6, 2006.

  1. Cindy

    Cindy Guest

    Can you help me network a single wired Internet connection at my hotel
    with my
    two wireless computers?

    The hotel charges $30/day for the wired Internet connection, which is
    OK. However, they charge for each laptop which I find to be highway
    robbery especially since they only supply wired Internet so there's no
    way to share between rooms.

    Luckily, both Windows XP computers are wireless.

    Is there any way to use the wireless part of the WinXP computers to
    SHARE the initial connection?

    Is this too basic a question?

    Here is what I have done so far:
    a) Shut down both computers and hook the wired ethernet to the
    computer whose MAC address (I suspect) was registered when I bought the
    Internet service from the web page.
    b) Boot both WinXP laptops and check the ip address (ipconfig /all)
    which shows the
    computer with the wired connection has an IP address of:
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . ... . . : 192.168.2.6
    c) The other computer, not on the network, had no IP address (can that
    happen?)
    Media State = Media disconnected.

    The question is how to use the second computer to connect to the first
    computer via the built-in wireless card? Can that be done? How?

    Cindy

    Cindy, Sep 6, 2006

  2. Cindy

    S. Pidgorny Guest

    Cindy,

    Here's the information on how to connect two computers and share Internet
    connection wirelessly without additional equipment:

    The info seems to be up to date.
    --
    Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MS MVP - Security, MCSE
    -= F1 is the key =-

    S. Pidgorny, Sep 6, 2006

  3. "Cindy" <> wrote in message
    > Can you help me network a single wired Internet connection at my hotel
    > with my
    > two wireless computers?
    >
    > The hotel charges $30/day for the wired Internet connection, which is
    > OK. However, they charge for each laptop which I find to be highway
    > robbery especially since they only supply wired Internet so there's no
    > way to share between rooms.
    >
    > Luckily, both Windows XP computers are wireless.
    >
    > Is there any way to use the wireless part of the WinXP computers to
    > SHARE the initial connection?
    >
    > Is this too basic a question?
    >
    > Here is what I have done so far:
    > a) Shut down both computers and hook the wired ethernet to the
    > computer whose MAC address (I suspect) was registered when I bought the
    > Internet service from the web page.
    > b) Boot both WinXP laptops and check the ip address (ipconfig /all)
    > which shows the
    > computer with the wired connection has an IP address of:
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . ... . . : 192.168.2.6
    > c) The other computer, not on the network, had no IP address (can that
    > happen?)
    > Media State = Media disconnected.
    >
    > The question is how to use the second computer to connect to the first
    > computer via the built-in wireless card? Can that be done? How?
    >
    > Cindy

    You might consider a small travel type wireless router. Here is an example
    of one made by Netgear. There may be others...

    http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/WGR101.aspx

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Sep 6, 2006
  4. Cindy

    Cindy Guest

    Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
    > You might consider a small travel type wireless router.
    > http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/WGR101.aspx

    Hi Al Sooner (Sooner Al?),

    I like your suggestion.

    Not only is this deck-of-card sized wireless router an interesting
    potential addition to my travel kit, but, it also would give me the
    freedom to move around the room while connected.

    Currently, I'm "tethered" to the desk by wire; but I vastly prefer to
    work on the bed with all those fluffy pillows spread around (not to
    mention my VOIP calls back to the states tethered to the computer via
    headphones and a mic to avoid the pillaging and plundering that goes on
    with overseas phone calls from my room). It would be great to make
    those VOIP calls lying down in my nice comfortable bed with the
    convenience bar only an arms' length away.

    I have one theoretical question with this method ...
    I called the hotel who said they key off the MAC address. If I were to
    use the wireless router (which I don't have, but I ask this to better
    understand the solution) ... would the hotel then key off the MAC
    address of the wireless router and not off the two wireless laptops
    "connected" to the wireless router?

    Would that solution be any better (or different theoretically) than if
    I purchased a small hub (switch?) and some long CAT5 ethernet cable?

    This is very interesting to me, so I hope you respond, so we all
    benefit,
    Cindy

    Cindy, Sep 6, 2006
  5. Cindy

    Cindy Guest

    S. Pidgorny <MVP> wrote:
    > Here's the information on how to connect two computers and share Internet
    > connection wirelessly without additional equipment:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

    Hi S. Pidgorny,

    Oh my. You do have a great potential answer here! You are just what the
    doctor ordered. A great many people would benefit from this discussion
    as it applies even to home or office use to have one wired Internet
    connection work with two computers in the same room (one at a time).

    Reading your suggested web page about building an ad hoc 802.11b
    wireless network using the graphical user interface in Windows XP was
    very interesting:

    According to your document, the main steps to follow are:
    1. Set the 1st PC as an ad-hoc (pc-to-pc) wireless connection
    2. Ensure the wireless card is working properly in the second PC
    3. Enable Internet Connection Sharing on the first PC

    More specifically, it seems, first, on PC1, we:
    * Ensure PC1 is hooked to the Internet via the Ethernet wire
    * Start > Settings > Network Connections
    * Rightclick on the wireless network icon
    * View Available Wireless Networks > Change Advanced Settings
    * Select the "Wireless Networks" tab
    * Hit the "Advanced" button
    * Select "Computer to computer (ad hoc) networks only"
    * And clear the "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks" box

    Cindy, Sep 6, 2006
  6. Cindy

    Cindy Guest

    Ooops. I hit the return button too soon. Here for all to benefit, are
    the steps as I understand them (please fix where I make mistakes) to
    create and share an ad-hoc computer-to-computer wireless network
    without need for a wireless router or wired hub.

    A) To set up the HOST computer (the one with the wired connection):
    * Ensure the host PC1 is hooked to the Internet via the Ethernet wire
    * On WinXP PC1, press Start > Settings > Network Connections
    * Then rightclick on the wireless network icon and select
    * View Available Wireless Networks > Change Advanced Settings
    * Select the "Wireless Networks" tab
    * Hit the "Advanced" button
    * Select "Computer to computer (ad hoc) networks only"
    * And clear the "Automatically connect to non-preferred networks" box
    * Again select the "Wireless Networks" tab
    * Under "Preferred Networks", hit the "Add" button
    * Enter in a "Network Name (SSID)" of "Hotel"
    * Notice the grayed-out checked box indicating "This is a
    computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network; wireless access points are not
    used"
    * For now, leave the "Network Authentication" as "Open"
    * Likewise, leave the "Data encryption" as "Disabled" for now
    * OK your way out of these forms

    B) To set up the CLIENT computer (the one that will be wireless):
    * On WinXP PC2, press Start > Settings > Network Connections
    * Then rightclick on the wireless network icon and select
    * View Available Wireless Networks
    * You should see "Hotel" as an "Unsecured computer-to-computer network"
    * Select "Hotel", press the "Connect", & "Connect Anyway" buttons
    * You'll see the message "Acquiring network address"
    * Soon you should see the message "Connected"

    C) To Share the Internet connection:
    * Make a note of the wired connection's name (e.g., Local Area
    Connection)
    * Press Start > Settings > Control Panel
    * Switch to classic view > Network Connections.
    * Rightclick the connection to be shared
    * Under Network Tasks, click "Change advanced settings"
    * Select the "Advanced" tab
    * Select the "Allow other network users to connect through this
    computer's Internet connection" check box.
    * Disable the setting to "Allow other network users control or disable
    the shared Internet connection"
    * Optionally turn on the Windows Firewall
    * In the "Home networking connection", select a private network
    connection of "Local Area Connection" (i.e., the connection to the
    wired network)
    * OK your way out of the forms

    If the planets align, after you've completed this ICS configuratoin,
    the Network Connection window on the host PC1 should display the
    original wired Ethernet connection and display the status as Shared as
    well as Enabled.

    Likewise, the Network Connection window on the client PC2 should
    display the connection on the host as an Internet Gateway. The client
    PC2 should now receive a private class, non-routable IP address in the
    192.168.0.* address range via DHCP from the host computer and should
    have full Internet connectivity. Multiple client PCs can be connected
    in this manner.

    Bear in mind, all this is theoretical. I tried it, but it didn't work
    (so I'm debugging as we speak). I'll let you know what I find out.

    Note: For some inexplicable reason, I lost my wired connection when I
    ran the steps above but I got it back by turning off "Enable IEEE
    802.1x authentication for this network" in the "Local Area Connection"
    "Authentication" tab on the host PC1; and then by selecting in the
    "Advanced" tab in the "Internet Connections Sharing" section to "Allow
    other network users to connect through this computer's Internet
    connection".

    But, so many settings happened, that I'm not sure all the steps above
    were exact as I still don't have PC2 connected to PC1 wirelessly
    without a router.

    Cindy

    Cindy, Sep 6, 2006
  7. Cindy

    Cindy Guest

    > Here are the steps to create and share an ad-hoc computer-to-computer
    > wireless network without need for a wireless router or wired hub.

    I now have PC1 connected again but PC2 says its connected to the
    "Hotel" network but it doesn't work. I need to debug.

    Maybe I'll just change the MAC address so that both PCs are the same
    MAC address.

    That would, of course, only work with the ethernet cable connected to
    one at a time (which is OK ... just not as convenient as being wireless
    in the hotel room).

    I found a freeware MAC address changer here:
    http://www.gorlani.com/downloads/dlchk.asp?fname=macmakeup.zip

    Cindy

    Cindy, Sep 6, 2006
  8. Cindy

    Guest

    you are making it far too difficult.....

    wireless router and you are done.......

    or just create a vpn connection to whichever computer is online......

    30 bucks a day? Shoot, I would just find a coffee shop around the
    corner.......I bet in the lobby if it is a remotely populated area, you
    could jump on someones unsecured netowork....

    Chuck

    , Sep 6, 2006
  9. Cindy

    Bill Kearney Guest

    > You might consider a small travel type wireless router.

    I've used a linksys WTR54GS for this purpose for several years now.

    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...241008&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

    Or using tinyurl to shorten that hideously long URL:

    http://tinyurl.com/b9ts2

    The nice thing about this unit is it's built-in AC plug. So you don't have
    to carry along yet ANOTHER wall wart AC adapter (or forget to bring it, as
    experience shows...) Plug it into the wall and run the ethernet cable into
    it. If there's a PC already using that outlet, no problem, just plug the PC
    into the second outlet on the WTR54GS.

    Works great.

    -Bill Kearney

    Bill Kearney, Sep 6, 2006
  10. Cindy

    Cindy Guest

    wrote:
    > wireless router and you are done.......
    > or just create a vpn connection to whichever computer is online......
    > you could jump on someones unsecured netowork....

    Hi Chuck,

    Thanks for the advice; but I don't understand two of your three
    suggestions:

    SUGGESTION 1:
    - Wireless router
    - I'm fifteen countries away from my home; where would I get a
    wireless router?

    SUGGESTION 2:
    - Create a vpn connection.
    - I do not understand this at all. Yes, I have the Nortel Networks
    Contivity VPN client.
    - But, without a network, how would I use this to connect my two
    computers?

    SUGGESTION 3:
    - Jump on someone elses' unsecured network.
    - I always wondered how to do that.
    - If I "see" someone else's network, just connecting to it doesn't give
    me Internet access.
    - Am I doing something wrong?

    Chuck ... I do appreciate your help. But, can you clarify how I could
    use the Nortel VPN software to connect a second PC to the first PC's
    wired ethernet connection?

    Same with jumping on someone else's network. Once I "connect" ... why
    don't I have any Internet access when I connect to someone's unsecured
    connection? What am I doing wrong?

    Cindy

    Cindy, Sep 6, 2006
  11. Cindy

    Cindy Guest

    Bill Kearney wrote:
    > I've used a linksys WTR54GS for this purpose for several years now.
    > http://tinyurl.com/b9ts2
    > The nice thing about this unit is it's built-in AC plug.

    Hi Bill Kearney,
    Thank you for your advice. When I left on this trip two weeks ago,
    that's when I should have thought of it. As it was, I had to buy a
    whole bunch of British-style three square prong adapters to fit the
    American-style two-blade plug of my computer.

    At the moment, I'm in a strange city (Singapore) and I don't have a
    clue what is where as I just arrived today. In two days, I'll fly to
    the Philippines and then to Beijing so I'm trying to travel ligthly.

    Next time I might pick up the router in the states as far too many
    hotels have wired but not wireless Interner connections in the rooms
    (and wireless is so very nice when you're relaxing in bed).

    Thanks for your advice. At the moment, I'm stuck trying to get the
    second computer to connect to the first via the wireless. I already
    tried the MAC address change and that worked, but, it's wired and I
    prefer to be wireless by far.

    But, for want of a setting or two I would be wireless,
    Cindy

    Cindy, Sep 6, 2006
  12. Cindy

    Lem Guest

    Re: How to share wired Internet connection in hotel using two wirelessPCs

    Cindy wrote:
    >> Here are the steps to create and share an ad-hoc computer-to-computer
    >> wireless network without need for a wireless router or wired hub.

    > I now have PC1 connected again but PC2 says its connected to the
    > "Hotel" network but it doesn't work. I need to debug.
    >
    > Maybe I'll just change the MAC address so that both PCs are the same
    > MAC address.
    >
    > That would, of course, only work with the ethernet cable connected to
    > one at a time (which is OK ... just not as convenient as being wireless
    > in the hotel room).
    >
    > I found a freeware MAC address changer here:
    > http://www.gorlani.com/downloads/dlchk.asp?fname=macmakeup.zip
    >
    > Cindy

    If you haven't got the kinks out yet, here are a couple of
    suggestions/observations -- I have to admit, however, that I haven't set
    up such a connection sharing system myself.

    You shouldn't have to fiddle with the MAC address of PC2. If things
    work correctly, the hotel network will not be aware of your second PC --
    which is the point, after all.

    For almost all home wifi networks -- this one too -- the "Enable IEEE
    802.1x authentication for this network" should be UNchecked. This is
    for network security using a RADIUS server.

    Try setting up ICS in PC1 BEFORE enabling PC2. Normally, when XP
    computers use "ad hoc" networking, Windows assigns an "Automatic Private
    IP Address" (APIPA) in the range 169.254.0.1 to 169.254.255.254. On the
    other hand, when Internet Connection Sharing is activated, the XP system
    acting as the "host" simulates a DHCP server, assigns itself an IP
    address of 192.168.0.1 and assigns IP addresses to other PCs on the LAN
    (wireless or wired) in the 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 range. See
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126/

    So, if you set up PC2 as an ad hoc wireless client before setting PC1 to
    use ICS, PC2 will assign itself an IP that's incompatible with the
    subnet used by ICS.

    To help debug, open a command prompt window on both computers and type
    ipconfig /all [enter]

    On PC1 (wired to the $30/day network) you should see info for two
    adapters -- the Ethernet adapter and the wireless adapter.

    The IP address assigned to the wireless adapter should be 192.168.0.1
    and the corresponding subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0

    On PC2, only one adapter will be active -- the wireless adapter. This
    should have an address such as 192.168.0.x

    You can always set IP address manually, from the "properties" page for
    the connection. Highlight TCP/IP and click Properties.

    Lem, Sep 6, 2006
  13. "Cindy" <> wrote in message
    > Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
    >> You might consider a small travel type wireless router.
    >> http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/WGR101.aspx

    > Hi Al Sooner (Sooner Al?),
    >
    > I like your suggestion.
    >
    > Not only is this deck-of-card sized wireless router an interesting
    > potential addition to my travel kit, but, it also would give me the
    > freedom to move around the room while connected.
    >
    > Currently, I'm "tethered" to the desk by wire; but I vastly prefer to
    > work on the bed with all those fluffy pillows spread around (not to
    > mention my VOIP calls back to the states tethered to the computer via
    > headphones and a mic to avoid the pillaging and plundering that goes on
    > with overseas phone calls from my room). It would be great to make
    > those VOIP calls lying down in my nice comfortable bed with the
    > convenience bar only an arms' length away.
    >
    > I have one theoretical question with this method ...
    > I called the hotel who said they key off the MAC address. If I were to
    > use the wireless router (which I don't have, but I ask this to better
    > understand the solution) ... would the hotel then key off the MAC
    > address of the wireless router and not off the two wireless laptops
    > "connected" to the wireless router?
    >
    > Would that solution be any better (or different theoretically) than if
    > I purchased a small hub (switch?) and some long CAT5 ethernet cable?
    >
    > This is very interesting to me, so I hope you respond, so we all
    > benefit,
    > Cindy

    Yes, in this case you would give them the MAC address of the router.

    Sooner Al [MVP], Sep 6, 2006
  14. Cindy

    Brian K Guest

    On 9/6/2006 12:48 PM Cindy plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and said:
    > Bill Kearney wrote:
    >
    >> I've used a linksys WTR54GS for this purpose for several years now.
    >> http://tinyurl.com/b9ts2
    >> The nice thing about this unit is it's built-in AC plug.
    >>

    > Hi Bill Kearney,
    > Thank you for your advice. When I left on this trip two weeks ago,
    > that's when I should have thought of it. As it was, I had to buy a
    > whole bunch of British-style three square prong adapters to fit the
    > American-style two-blade plug of my computer.
    >
    > At the moment, I'm in a strange city (Singapore) and I don't have a
    > clue what is where as I just arrived today. In two days, I'll fly to
    > the Philippines and then to Beijing so I'm trying to travel ligthly.
    >
    > Next time I might pick up the router in the states as far too many
    > hotels have wired but not wireless Interner connections in the rooms
    > (and wireless is so very nice when you're relaxing in bed).
    >
    > Thanks for your advice. At the moment, I'm stuck trying to get the
    > second computer to connect to the first via the wireless. I already
    > tried the MAC address change and that worked, but, it's wired and I
    > prefer to be wireless by far.
    >
    > But, for want of a setting or two I would be wireless,
    > Cindy

    Cindy,

    I picked up your message in rec.travel.usa-canada. Until I opened my
    reply I wasn't aware that you have cross-posted to two technical groups
    as well. I was going to suggest that you post to one.

    All the same I will post a list of some non-Usenet http forums that I
    have found very useful.

    Windows BBS - http://tinyurl.com/rlq89
    Windows Annoyances Network FAQ - http://tinyurl.com/3vkc
    There is also a discussion forum for Windows Annoyances at: -
    http://tinyurl.com/844gw

    Hope that this helps.

    --
    ________
    Brian M. Kochera

    Brian K, Sep 6, 2006
  15. On on, 06 sep 2006 14:57:56 GMT, "Cindy" <> wrote in
    microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless:

    <snip>

    > Maybe I'll just change the MAC address so that both PCs are the same
    > MAC address.
    >
    > That would, of course, only work with the ethernet cable connected to
    > one at a time (which is OK ... just not as convenient as being wireless
    > in the hotel room).
    >
    > I found a freeware MAC address changer here:
    > http://www.gorlani.com/downloads/dlchk.asp?fname=macmakeup.zip

    Start -> Control Panels -> Networking -> Properties -> Configure ->
    Advanced. Enter a new MAC in Network Address.

    Axel Hammerschmidt, Sep 6, 2006
  16. On 6 Sep 2006 01:32:38 -0700 "Cindy" <> wrote:

    :>Can you help me network a single wired Internet connection at my hotel
    :>with my
    :>two wireless computers?

    :>The hotel charges $30/day for the wired Internet connection, which is
    :>OK.

    You are OK with $30/day????

    I ain't happy with $12/day.

    :> However, they charge for each laptop which I find to be highway
    :>robbery especially since they only supply wired Internet so there's no
    :>way to share between rooms.

    :>Luckily, both Windows XP computers are wireless.

    :>Is there any way to use the wireless part of the WinXP computers to
    :>SHARE the initial connection?

    Yes.

    :>Is this too basic a question?

    Probably.

    Do it just like you do at home - use a router. It can clone your MAC address.

    Curios minds wish to know - which hotel (it has got to be in NYC) charges that
    much?

    --
    Binyamin Dissen <>
    http://www.dissensoftware.com

    Binyamin Dissen, Sep 6, 2006
  17. Cindy

    Cindy Guest

    Binyamin Dissen wrote:
    > :>The hotel charges $30/day for the wired Internet connection, which is
    >
    > You are OK with $30/day????
    > I ain't happy with $12/day.

    Hi Binyamin Dissen,

    I should have noted these are $30 Singapore dollars per day for the
    wired hotel network.

    That's about 30 x 2/3 = $20 US dollars a day which is OK by me for a
    wired hotel network.

    What I'm taking as a theoretical study (which is eating into my
    vacation because I hate to lose a technical challenge) is how I can use
    my second laptop to connect wirelessly to the first laptop which is
    connected to the wired network.

    Achieving the most of wireless is what wireless is all about; so that's
    why I'm trying this.

    I've already agreed these OTHER approaches work:
    a) Buy a compact wireless router to be wireless on BOTH PCs by hooking
    the NAT to the hotel network and using the two wireless PCs anywhere in
    the hotel room

    b) Spoof the MAC address on the second PC & connect one PC at a time to
    the short wired network

    c) Connect wirelessly from the second PC to the wired first PC.

    It is the third approach I'm trying to get working as the other two are
    (by now) obvious.

    It would be great to make the most of our wireless cards like God
    herself intended us to do by giving us electromagnetic waves in the
    first place! I'm still trying to implement the steps in the Microsoft
    article cited.

    An alternative source for the same setup would be wonderful as
    something is missing from the instructions at that Microsoft web site.

    Cindy

    Cindy, Sep 7, 2006
  18. Cindy

    TBerk Guest

    Cindy wrote:
    > Sooner Al [MVP] wrote:
    > > You might consider a small travel type wireless router.
    > > http://www.netgear.com/Products/RoutersandGateways/GWirelessRouters/WGR101.aspx

    > Hi Al Sooner (Sooner Al?),
    >
    > I like your suggestion.
    >
    > Not only is this deck-of-card sized wireless router an interesting
    > potential addition to my travel kit, but, it also would give me the
    > freedom to move around the room while connected.
    >
    > Currently, I'm "tethered" to the desk by wire; but I vastly prefer to
    > work on the bed with all those fluffy pillows spread around (not to
    > mention my VOIP calls back to the states tethered to the computer via
    > headphones and a mic to avoid the pillaging and plundering that goes on
    > with overseas phone calls from my room). It would be great to make
    > those VOIP calls lying down in my nice comfortable bed with the
    > convenience bar only an arms' length away.
    >
    > I have one theoretical question with this method ...
    > I called the hotel who said they key off the MAC address. If I were to
    > use the wireless router (which I don't have, but I ask this to better
    > understand the solution) ... would the hotel then key off the MAC
    > address of the wireless router and not off the two wireless laptops
    > "connected" to the wireless router?
    >
    > Would that solution be any better (or different theoretically) than if
    > I purchased a small hub (switch?) and some long CAT5 ethernet cable?
    >
    > This is very interesting to me, so I hope you respond, so we all
    > benefit,
    > Cindy

    It's my understanding that the MAC address is used to verify the
    equipment you registered w/ the Front Desk is actually getting the IP
    address they set aside for you.

    In other words, giving them the MAC address from the Wireless Router
    would be the way to go; it should 'shield' your downstream laptop(s)
    from view by the Hotel's Networking and 'bing, bing- Bobs your Uncle.

    While the Netgear device looks sexy enough you should perhaps study and
    verify if what it's putting out meets your hardware's needs or not.
    (Likely it'll be OK.)

    Lastly, all things being equal there remains the common experience of
    wired being faster than wireless and too many cooks on the wire
    spoiling the soup (there may be a time when the wireless device
    represents a device too many between you and the Internet for example.
    I mention it but I myself find it a _remote_ possibility.)

    Enjoy, hth.
    TBerk

    TBerk, Sep 7, 2006
  19. Cindy

    Adair Witner Guest

    I would purchase one of the small travel routers with wireless and a wired
    switch.
    you would then plug the hotels wired ethernet connect into the wan port of
    your router. the wan ports mac then becomes registered with the hotel and
    you are free to setup your own private network in your room with both wired
    and wireless clients.. This would enable you to share files and have both
    machines on the internet at the same time..

    Adair

    Adair Witner, Sep 7, 2006
  20. Cindy

    Cindy Guest

    Doug Jamal wrote:
    > > like God herself

    > That's a joke. Right?

    Hi Doug Jamal,

    We don't know what God looks like (or do you?) ... so God, who created
    802.11b,g in the first place, can be male or female or neutral for all
    we know.

    As you inferred, I was just being a bit too subtle by referring to God
    in the feminine sense when referring to her all-mightly creation of the
    supreme power of periodicity ...

    I've been on the Singapore circuit tour all day; now that I'm back in
    the hotel, I'll attack the electromagnetic problem again of trying to
    wirelessly connect with one Windows XP computer to another WinXP
    computer wired to the hotel network sans a wireless router ...

    Any advice, short of an act of God, that shows me the way to connect
    one computer wirelessly to another which is wired so that they can
    share the Internet connection would be greatly appreciated.

    Cindy

    Cindy, Sep 7, 2006