How to setup bridge mode?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Adam Lipscombe, Aug 7, 2007.

  1. Folks,

    I have BT Max ADSL a FritzBox 7140 VOIP router and a 2Wire 2700 HGV (aka BT Business Hub) router.

    On my long line the 2wire router syncs @ 1900, much faster than the FritzBox (@ 800-900). This makes
    a considerable difference to the download speed.

    But I need the VOIP functionalty in the FritzBox.

    Ideally what I would like to do is to use the 2Wire as a "dumb" modem, and the fritzbox as the NAT
    router and VOIP box. And for the PC's on the network to use DHCP as normal.
    But I dont understand how to do that.

    My current understanding is that I can do this by placing the 2Wire in to "bridge" mode
    Is that correct? (I am not sure what bridge mode is...)

    When I select bridge mode the 2Wire wants me to enter an IP submask - what should I put in here?
    Should I disable the 2Wire DHCP server?

    I can disable the FritzBox DSL modem and get to to connect via the LAN1 port to the 2Wire.
    Should I specify the FritzBox IP address? Or use DHCP? (which server - the 2Wire?)
    What should the default gateway be?

    Ay pointers gratefully received....

    TIA - Adam

    Adam Lipscombe, Aug 7, 2007

  2. Adam Lipscombe

    Clint Sharp Guest

    In message <>, Adam Lipscombe
    <> writes
    >Folks,
    >
    >Ay pointers gratefully received....

    ICBW but bridge mode relies on you having a block of static IP
    addresses, I.E. you'll need one static address for the modem, one for
    the fritzbox, one for network and one for broadcast. It won't work if
    you only have one IP.

    --
    Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp, Aug 7, 2007

  3. OK thanks.

    What if I leave the 2Wire in ordinary router mode and then allocate a fixed IP address to the
    Fritzbox and all the network PCs. i.e. no DHCP.
    And then set the PC default gateway/DNS to the fritzbox?
    Will the fritzbox VOIP QoS work?

    What I am trying to do is to retain the VOIP QoS functionality of the fritzbox (this works very
    well) while using the 2Wire to provide the DSL connection.

    TIA - Adam

    Adam Lipscombe, Aug 7, 2007
  4. Adam Lipscombe

    Java Jive Guest

    Initial Caveat: Though I understand the principles of how it works well
    enough, I've not used VOIP, and am not familiar with that model.

    Having got that out of the way, I'm not sure that what you want is possible.
    Consider ...

    You have two modems each with an 'inside' and an 'outside'. The inside of
    each will have one or more USB or ethernet style connectors, the outside a
    single telephone style connector. The moment you connect the outside of one
    to the ADSL line, how are you going to connect the outside of the other to
    anything (unless you were thinking of using different phone sockets, but I
    would imagine that, if it worked at all, would be a no-no to BT)?

    It *might* work if the VOIP on the Fritz can work going to the outside world
    through an inside ethernet connection (and if you are using VOIP through a
    PC rather than a handset directly connected to it in some way, then there
    would have to be at least two of these on the box, or at least a USB
    connection - one for the PC, one to connect to the 2-wire). I say
    "might", but actually I'd be surprised if it turned out to work like this -
    I'd expect the Fritz to have been hard-wired/coded under the assumption that
    VOIP would always be connected to the outside world via the ADSL connection.

    If it does work, you might find you have to set up the Fritz and that PC
    with (a) fixed IP(s) in your internal IP range, for example: 192.168.0.250,
    alter the DHCP range on the 2-wire to avoid such IPs, and may have to change
    some settings in the Fritz so that it will act as a gateway for its PC.
    You may also have to set up the firewall on the 2-wire to allow VOIP traffic
    through.

    Then you would have:

    BT Wall Socket

    Filter with VOIP?
    | |
    | | Normal phone

    2-Wire
    | |||

    | | VOIP PC
    | |
    Fritz

    Having said all that, why can't you connect a PC using VOIP directly to the
    2-Wire? Although you may have to change some firewall rules, surely you
    should be able to get that to work? After all, the whole idea of VOIP is
    that it's just another form of network traffic.

    Java Jive, Aug 7, 2007
  5. Thanks for this informative response.

    The FritzBox has 2 normal analog phones plugged into it.
    I dont use software VOIP on the PC.

    TIA - Adam

    Adam Lipscombe, Aug 7, 2007
  6. Adam Lipscombe

    TheDragon Guest

    > OK thanks.
    >
    > What if I leave the 2Wire in ordinary router mode and then allocate a
    > fixed IP address to the Fritzbox and all the network PCs. i.e. no DHCP.
    > And then set the PC default gateway/DNS to the fritzbox?
    > Will the fritzbox VOIP QoS work?
    >
    > What I am trying to do is to retain the VOIP QoS functionality of the
    > fritzbox (this works very well) while using the 2Wire to provide the DSL
    > connection.

    Set the 2 wire as a normal router. Set up a DMZ on the 2 wire with the
    Frizbox as the destination IP.

    There you have what your calling a bridge.

    TheDragon, Aug 7, 2007
  7. Adam Lipscombe

    jtrammell

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    2wire Bridge Mode

    If your 2Wire is not listing a computer with a static IP address, or you would like the 2Wire to act as a bridged router, the 2Wire offer the technicians pages to change advanced settings:

    h t t p://{router ip}//tech/configuration.html

    This will bring you into the advanced configuration for the 2Wire. If you have a server with a static IP, and the 2Wire does not have it listed, it will not forward network/internet traffic to that computer. You can reset your local area network’s computer list. This will force the 2Wire to start rebuilding the list again and re-detect your server.
    This this problem become common, consider placing the 2Wire into bridge mode and using your own router. This will require a static IP.

    Shawn Zernik
    http://www.internetworkconsulting.net

    jtrammell, Sep 13, 2011