How to setup AVG Personal Scanner with POP3 Mail

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by *** HAWK, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. *** HAWK

    *** HAWK Guest

    I am trying to setup AVG to automatically scan all incoming & outcoming
    mail - it works fine for my default ISP mail account, but not for my
    secondary POP3 account.

    my settings for these are :
    mail.gavk.co.uk (pop host)
    mail.gavk.co.uk (smtp host)

    Obviously I have entered the username & password correctly - but I don't
    have any idea of how to set it automatically scan the emails from this pop3
    account -
    eg.. basically I want AVG to scan the email and display the following at the
    bottom of each email

    Any ideas how I do this - ps i am using AVG 7.0.2.11
    Thanks

    *** HAWK, Feb 6, 2004

  2. *** HAWK

    °Mike° Guest

    Why would you want to do that? AVG can't certify that
    mail is virus free, and if your system is clean, adding
    a stupid advertising signature to the end of your mail
    is a pointless exercise.

    On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 00:54:01 -0000, in
    <4022e5ad$0$48$>
    *** HAWK scrawled:

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 6, 2004

  3. *** HAWK

    *** HAWK Guest

    Just to show that any mail I send or recieve is virus free? I would've
    thought that would be a good point?
    But your views are welcomed.

    *** HAWK, Feb 6, 2004
  4. *** HAWK

    °Mike° Guest

    On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:05:57 -0000, in
    <40237512$0$9757$>
    *** HAWK scrawled:

    >Just to show that any mail I send or recieve is virus free?

    That's the point, it *can't*. Not to mention that AVG is
    crap---besides the fact that it's free. "Certified virus
    free" means nothing to somebody who opens a virus
    infected attachment that AVG didn't catch, does it?

    >I would've thought that would be a good point?

    No. The signature is (purposely) broken, and is nothing
    more that free advertising for Grisoft.

    °Mike°, Feb 6, 2004
  5. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    °Mike° <> typed
    || On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:05:57 -0000, in
    || <40237512$0$9757$>
    || *** HAWK scrawled:
    ||| Just to show that any mail I send or recieve is virus free?
    || That's the point, it *can't*. Not to mention that AVG is

    Can any av product? Of course not.

    || crap---besides the fact that it's free. "Certified virus

    I installed the free version on a friends PC the other day and found 700
    infected files that McAfee didn't pick up. If AVG is crap, what is McAfee?

    || free" means nothing to somebody who opens a virus
    || infected attachment that AVG didn't catch, does it?
    ||| I would've thought that would be a good point?
    || No. The signature is (purposely) broken, and is nothing
    || more that free advertising for Grisoft.

    And you have proof of this, of course?

    Robert de Brus, Feb 6, 2004
  6. Howdy!

    "*** HAWK" <> wrote in message
    > Just to show that any mail I send or recieve is virus free? I would've
    > thought that would be a good point?

    And how would that do that?

    All it says is actually "I didn't intentionally send a
    virus-infected message." How about a virus that AVG didn't know about?

    Think it through carefully - all that does is scream "I'm an idiot
    that can't think!" to people who DO think.

    > But your views are welcomed.

    De nada.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Feb 7, 2004
  7. Howdy!

    "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message

    > In news:,
    > °Mike° <> typed
    > || On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:05:57 -0000, in
    > || <40237512$0$9757$>
    > || *** HAWK scrawled:
    > || That's the point, it *can't*. Not to mention that AVG is
    >
    > Can any av product? Of course not.

    This is true. But it's not a McAfee or Norton signature the guy is
    wanting to append ...

    > || crap---besides the fact that it's free. "Certified virus
    >
    > I installed the free version on a friends PC the other day and found 700
    > infected files that McAfee didn't pick up. If AVG is crap, what is McAfee?

    Second hand crap? Yah, it sucks.

    > || free" means nothing to somebody who opens a virus
    > || infected attachment that AVG didn't catch, does it?
    > || No. The signature is (purposely) broken, and is nothing
    > || more that free advertising for Grisoft.
    >
    > And you have proof of this, of course?

    Grisoft won't fix the signature.

    And all it does is advertise that you're using AVG.

    What other proof do you need?

    Check out the Grisoft forums sometimes for those that keep pointing
    out how the .SIG delimiter is broken with AVG's appendage.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Feb 7, 2004
  8. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:c01ob4$11rue5$-berlin.de,
    Ralph Wade Phillips <> typed
    || Howdy!
    || "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message
    ||| In news:,
    ||| °Mike° <> typed
    ||| Can any av product? Of course not.
    || This is true. But it's not a McAfee or Norton signature the
    || guy is wanting to append ...
    ||| I installed the free version on a friends PC the other day and
    ||| found 700 infected files that McAfee didn't pick up. If AVG is
    ||| crap, what is McAfee?
    || Second hand crap? Yah, it sucks.
    ||| And you have proof of this, of course?
    || Grisoft won't fix the signature.
    || And all it does is advertise that you're using AVG.
    || What other proof do you need?
    || Check out the Grisoft forums sometimes for those that keep
    || pointing out how the .SIG delimiter is broken with AVG's appendage.

    But this doesn't mean (or prove) that it was done intentially, as was
    attested.

    Robert de Brus, Feb 7, 2004
  9. Howdy!

    > In news:c01ob4$11rue5$-berlin.de,
    > Ralph Wade Phillips <> typed
    > || Howdy!
    > || "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message

    > || Grisoft won't fix the signature.
    > || And all it does is advertise that you're using AVG.
    > || What other proof do you need?
    > || Check out the Grisoft forums sometimes for those that keep
    > || pointing out how the .SIG delimiter is broken with AVG's appendage.
    >
    > But this doesn't mean (or prove) that it was done intentially, as was
    > attested.

    Intentionally is NOT purposely.

    They might not have intended to do a broken .SIG, but they PURPOSE
    to not fix it. I mean, what, one byte missing? It's not like it would
    break everything TO fix it ...

    If you accidentally park on the neighbor's water hose, that's an
    accident.

    When you won't move the car, that's purposeful.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Feb 7, 2004
  10. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:c03sbt$12r00u$-berlin.de,
    Ralph Wade Phillips <> typed
    || Howdy!
    || "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message
    ||| In news:c01ob4$11rue5$-berlin.de,
    ||| Ralph Wade Phillips <> typed
    ||| But this doesn't mean (or prove) that it was done intentially, as
    ||| was attested.
    || Intentionally is NOT purposely.
    || They might not have intended to do a broken .SIG, but they
    || PURPOSE to not fix it. I mean, what, one byte missing? It's not
    || like it would break everything TO fix it ...
    || If you accidentally park on the neighbor's water hose,
    || that's an accident.
    || When you won't move the car, that's purposeful.
    || RwP

    While I agree they should fix the sig, my interpretation of purpose is a
    little different..

    To say they put the sig as is purposly is to say that they put it there
    intentionally, whether they refuse to fix it or not.

    I'm talking about the common usage of the word today, not the original usage
    from, for example, the 15th or even 19th century.

    Robert de Brus, Feb 8, 2004
  11. *** HAWK

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 17:29:00 -0600, in
    <c03sbt$12r00u$-berlin.de>
    Ralph Wade Phillips scrawled:

    >Howdy!
    >
    >"Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> In news:c01ob4$11rue5$-berlin.de,
    >> Ralph Wade Phillips <> typed

    >> But this doesn't mean (or prove) that it was done intentially, as was
    >> attested.

    > Intentionally is NOT purposely.
    >
    > They might not have intended to do a broken .SIG, but they PURPOSE
    >to not fix it. I mean, what, one byte missing? It's not like it would
    >break everything TO fix it ...
    >
    > If you accidentally park on the neighbor's water hose, that's an
    >accident.
    >
    > When you won't move the car, that's purposeful.
    >
    > RwP

    You're wasting your time (IMO) trying to reason with that
    contrary nincompoop, Ralph.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 8, 2004
  12. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    °Mike° <> typed
    || On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 17:29:00 -0600, in
    || <c03sbt$12r00u$-berlin.de>
    || Ralph Wade Phillips scrawled:
    ||| Howdy!
    ||| "Robert de Brus" <de_brus@h o t m a i l.com> wrote in message
    ||| Intentionally is NOT purposely.
    ||| They might not have intended to do a broken .SIG, but they
    ||| PURPOSE to not fix it. I mean, what, one byte missing? It's not
    ||| like it would break everything TO fix it ...
    ||| If you accidentally park on the neighbor's water hose,
    ||| that's an accident.
    ||| When you won't move the car, that's purposeful.
    ||| RwP
    || You're wasting your time (IMO) trying to reason with that
    || contrary nincompoop, Ralph.

    He certainly doesn't need the likes of yourself to go into bat for him.
    He's quite capable of carrying on a conversation without interjections from
    an idiot like yourself.

    Robert de Brus, Feb 8, 2004