how to set up switch, PIX and router using VLANs

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ryan, Oct 24, 2006.

  1. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    i've got a 2950 switch, 2611 router and 515 pix
    i want to set them up so that i route different VLANs through the firewall
    i plan to set the equipment up in this order

    -----------------------
    | |
    | router |
    | |
    -----------------------

    -----------------------
    | |
    | pix |
    | |
    -----------------------

    -----------------------
    | |
    | switch |
    | |
    -----------------------

    is this correct?

    Ryan, Oct 24, 2006

  2. In article <2006102416165216807-ryanmosh@gmailcom>,
    Ryan <> wrote:
    >i've got a 2950 switch, 2611 router and 515 pix
    >i want to set them up so that i route different VLANs through the firewall
    >i plan to set the equipment up in this order
    >
    >-----------------------
    >| |
    >| router |
    >| |
    >-----------------------
    > |

    >-----------------------
    >| |
    >| pix |
    >| |
    >-----------------------
    > |

    >-----------------------
    >| |
    >| switch |
    >| |

    >is this correct?

    You cannot route VLANs individually on a PIX, unless you are using
    7.x software and VRF (Virtual Router Facility) so that each VLAN sees
    a different router table. (Though there might be other selective
    routing mechanisms in 7.x that I haven't happened to encounter yet.)

    Walter Roberson, Oct 28, 2006