    of getting this to work - with no success, plus after a while it cooks your
    brain.

    Can anyone shed any extra light on how to get what I want to work?

    *Phantom Mendips*, May 6, 2007

  2. *Phantom Mendips*

    meerkat Guest

    "*Phantom Mendips*" <> wrote in message
    news:34p%h.1845$...
    > I've got a Desktop PC (Compaq) with WIFI connected to a broadband cable
    > modem (as was NTL now Virgin). This is a XP Home OS
    >
    > I have a new Acer Laptop which connects to the net via the Wifi on the
    > Desktop machine. This is a Vista Home Premium OS
    >
    > I'd like to be able to connect & transfer files between each machine, plus
    > print using the printer connected to my Desktop PC, from the Laptop. In
    > fact, the Desktop machine does show up on the group list, but when I try
    > to "open" the computer, I get a Login error (not authorised etc)
    >
    > I've been looking everywhere (Google/Microsoft) and have tried several
    > ways of getting this to work - with no success, plus after a while it
    > cooks your brain.
    >
    > Can anyone shed any extra light on how to get what I want to work?

    For a few dollars, you can get Network Magic.
    http://www.networkmagic.com/

    Or you`ve got to set it up yourself on each machine.
    Start/Help and Support, and type in Networking.
    HTH.

    meerkat, May 6, 2007

  3. *Phantom Mendips*

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 06 May 2007 18:25:03 GMT, *Phantom Mendips* wrote:

    >I've got a Desktop PC (Compaq) with WIFI connected to a broadband cable
    >modem (as was NTL now Virgin). This is a XP Home OS

    You may be better off with cable modem - router(WiFi) then the PCs. This
    works without needing both PCs on.

    >I have a new Acer Laptop which connects to the net via the Wifi on the
    >Desktop machine. This is a Vista Home Premium OS
    >
    >I'd like to be able to connect & transfer files between each machine, plus
    >print using the printer connected to my Desktop PC, from the Laptop. In
    >fact, the Desktop machine does show up on the group list, but when I try to
    >"open" the computer, I get a Login error (not authorised etc)

    Each PC has an account using the same username/password?

    >I've been looking everywhere (Google/Microsoft) and have tried several ways

    Always a difficult list to guess what you tried and how it didn't work.

    >of getting this to work - with no success, plus after a while it cooks your
    >brain.

    Quite a few posts in the new VM newsgroups, you should be able to see
    them as well as the many home networking posts in 24HSHD.

    >Can anyone shed any extra light on how to get what I want to work?

    One of the last times this sort of question was asked in 24HSHD, it was
    a new option in Vista.

    Vista shairing problems in both directions
    .... Vista is set to private network, file sharing is ON, require PW is
    off Didn't someone
    say last week or so , that with Vista it's public? ... Managed to sort
    it. The network
    was set to 'private' instead of 'public' on the Vista PC. ...
    Mar 12 by Ed - 5 messages - 3 authors

    If you look through other recent posts in 24HSHD there are lists of the
    MS Vista setup, general etc newsgroups and how to connect to them.

    Me

    why?, May 6, 2007
  4. *Phantom Mendips*

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    > I've got a Desktop PC (Compaq) with WIFI connected to a broadband cable
    > modem (as was NTL now Virgin). This is a XP Home OS
    >
    > I have a new Acer Laptop which connects to the net via the Wifi on the
    > Desktop machine. This is a Vista Home Premium OS

    That is absolute trouble *ICS* with wireless ad-hoc mode between two machine
    using the XP O/S. Not only from a wireless point between the machines as
    it's a flaky ICS situation using wireless, as it can and will go down on you
    using XP, but also from the security aspects of a wireless hacker hacking
    the machines on the wireless and accessing them.

    You need a wire/wireless AP router with the wireless cards in infrastructure
    mode with the wireless router to protect them on the wireless.

    http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm

    > I'd like to be able to connect & transfer files between each machine, plus
    > print using the printer connected to my Desktop PC, from the Laptop. In
    > fact, the Desktop machine does show up on the group list, but when I try
    > to "open" the computer, I get a Login error (not authorised etc)
    >
    > I've been looking everywhere (Google/Microsoft) and have tried several
    > ways of getting this to work - with no success, plus after a while it
    > cooks your brain.
    >
    > Can anyone shed any extra light on how to get what I want to work?

    You simply go get a wire/wireless AP NAT router.

    Here are the reasons you get a NAT router and put the machines behind the
    protection of the NAT router.

    You do not want to do ICS with MS O/S machines with one machine, XP Home at
    that, with a direct connection to the modem and a direct connection to the
    Internet.

    You simply do not want to do this. It's pure trouble from a standpoint of
    the machines being compromised.

    Some of it you can apply to Vista too, but at least cut down the attack
    vector on the O/S(s) from the wireless side by securing the O/S(s) as much
    as possible.

    http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    Mr. Arnold, May 6, 2007
  5. "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    > On Sun, 06 May 2007 18:25:03 GMT, *Phantom Mendips* wrote:
    >
    >>I've got a Desktop PC (Compaq) with WIFI connected to a broadband cable
    >>modem (as was NTL now Virgin). This is a XP Home OS

    > You may be better off with cable modem - router(WiFi) then the PCs. This
    > works without needing both PCs on.
    >
    >>I have a new Acer Laptop which connects to the net via the Wifi on the
    >>Desktop machine. This is a Vista Home Premium OS
    >>
    >>I'd like to be able to connect & transfer files between each machine, plus
    >>print using the printer connected to my Desktop PC, from the Laptop. In
    >>fact, the Desktop machine does show up on the group list, but when I try
    >>"open" the computer, I get a Login error (not authorised etc)

    > Each PC has an account using the same username/password?
    >
    >>I've been looking everywhere (Google/Microsoft) and have tried several
    >>ways

    > Always a difficult list to guess what you tried and how it didn't work.
    >
    >>of getting this to work - with no success, plus after a while it cooks
    >>your
    >>brain.

    > Quite a few posts in the new VM newsgroups, you should be able to see
    > them as well as the many home networking posts in 24HSHD.
    > http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/topics
    >
    >>Can anyone shed any extra light on how to get what I want to work?

    > One of the last times this sort of question was asked in 24HSHD, it was
    > a new option in Vista.
    >
    > Vista shairing problems in both directions
    > ... Vista is set to private network, file sharing is ON, require PW is
    > off Didn't someone
    > say last week or so , that with Vista it's public? ... Managed to sort
    > it. The network
    > was set to 'private' instead of 'public' on the Vista PC. ...
    > Mar 12 by Ed - 5 messages - 3 authors
    >
    > If you look through other recent posts in 24HSHD there are lists of the
    > MS Vista setup, general etc newsgroups and how to connect to them.

    Tried setting the Vista Laptop to Public... works now! :)

    Except I can't access the Desktop XP from the Laptop (for the purposes of
    using the printer)

    *Phantom Mendips*, May 6, 2007
  6. "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message

    > "*Phantom Mendips*" <> wrote in message
    >> I've got a Desktop PC (Compaq) with WIFI connected to a broadband cable
    >> modem (as was NTL now Virgin). This is a XP Home OS
    >>
    >> I have a new Acer Laptop which connects to the net via the Wifi on the
    >> Desktop machine. This is a Vista Home Premium OS

    > That is absolute trouble *ICS* with wireless ad-hoc mode between two
    > machine using the XP O/S. Not only from a wireless point between the
    > machines as it's a flaky ICS situation using wireless, as it can and will
    > go down on you using XP, but also from the security aspects of a wireless
    > hacker hacking the machines on the wireless and accessing them.
    >
    > You need a wire/wireless AP router with the wireless cards in
    > infrastructure mode with the wireless router to protect them on the
    > wireless.
    >
    > http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm
    >>
    >> I'd like to be able to connect & transfer files between each machine,
    >> plus print using the printer connected to my Desktop PC, from the Laptop.
    >> In fact, the Desktop machine does show up on the group list, but when I
    >> try to "open" the computer, I get a Login error (not authorised etc)
    >>
    >> I've been looking everywhere (Google/Microsoft) and have tried several
    >> ways of getting this to work - with no success, plus after a while it
    >> cooks your brain.
    >>
    >> Can anyone shed any extra light on how to get what I want to work?
    >>

    > You simply go get a wire/wireless AP NAT router.
    >
    > Here are the reasons you get a NAT router and put the machines behind the
    > protection of the NAT router.
    >
    > http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    >
    > You do not want to do ICS with MS O/S machines with one machine, XP Home
    > at that, with a direct connection to the modem and a direct connection to
    > the Internet.
    >
    > You simply do not want to do this. It's pure trouble from a standpoint of
    > the machines being compromised.
    >
    > Some of it you can apply to Vista too, but at least cut down the attack
    > vector on the O/S(s) from the wireless side by securing the O/S(s) as much
    > as possible.
    >
    > http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    I know the set up I have isn't ideal - this is mainly due to having a
    Desktop PC with wifi, not using it until I bought a laptop, and now having
    bought another laptop - the infrastructure is there, and as such locally,
    there are no problems with wifi hacking - unless I'm hacking into the laptop
    when my friends' are using it downstairs ;)

    *Phantom Mendips*, May 6, 2007
  7. *Phantom Mendips*

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    > "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message
    >>
    >> "*Phantom Mendips*" <> wrote in message
    >>> I've got a Desktop PC (Compaq) with WIFI connected to a broadband cable
    >>> modem (as was NTL now Virgin). This is a XP Home OS
    >>>
    >>> I have a new Acer Laptop which connects to the net via the Wifi on the
    >>> Desktop machine. This is a Vista Home Premium OS

    >> That is absolute trouble *ICS* with wireless ad-hoc mode between two
    >> machine using the XP O/S. Not only from a wireless point between the
    >> machines as it's a flaky ICS situation using wireless, as it can and will
    >> go down on you using XP, but also from the security aspects of a
    >> wireless hacker hacking the machines on the wireless and accessing them.
    >>
    >> You need a wire/wireless AP router with the wireless cards in
    >> infrastructure mode with the wireless router to protect them on the
    >> wireless.
    >>
    >> http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to be able to connect & transfer files between each machine,
    >>> plus print using the printer connected to my Desktop PC, from the
    >>> Laptop. In fact, the Desktop machine does show up on the group list, but
    >>> when I try to "open" the computer, I get a Login error (not authorised
    >>> etc)
    >>>
    >>> I've been looking everywhere (Google/Microsoft) and have tried several
    >>> ways of getting this to work - with no success, plus after a while it
    >>> cooks your brain.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone shed any extra light on how to get what I want to work?
    >>>

    >> You simply go get a wire/wireless AP NAT router.
    >>
    >> Here are the reasons you get a NAT router and put the machines behind the
    >> protection of the NAT router.
    >>
    >> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    >>
    >> You do not want to do ICS with MS O/S machines with one machine, XP Home
    >> at that, with a direct connection to the modem and a direct connection to
    >> the Internet.
    >>
    >> You simply do not want to do this. It's pure trouble from a standpoint of
    >> the machines being compromised.
    >>
    >> Some of it you can apply to Vista too, but at least cut down the attack
    >> vector on the O/S(s) from the wireless side by securing the O/S(s) as
    >> much as possible.
    >>
    >> http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    > I know the set up I have isn't ideal - this is mainly due to having a
    > Desktop PC with wifi, not using it until I bought a laptop, and now having
    > bought another laptop - the infrastructure is there, and as such locally,
    > there are no problems with wifi hacking - unless I'm hacking into the
    > laptop when my friends' are using it downstairs ;)

    LOL, you have no clue as to how a wireless hacker can hack your network on
    the wireless side. There have been some recent posts in a FW and security NG
    about wireless hackers that are coming through wireless routers that have
    the security on them and hacked the machines wired and wireless.

    You have nothing in place.

    Do you even know what War Driving is about, because you are a sure candidate
    sitting there in ignorance. <g>

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=what is War driving&btnG=Google Search

    The setup you got an *ant* with wireless being your next door neighbor can
    hack it, be all over the top of you machines hacking them setting up back
    doors on them for later use, and you would even know it.

    Mr. Arnold, May 6, 2007
  8. "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message

    > "*Phantom Mendips*" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "*Phantom Mendips*" <> wrote in message

    >>> That is absolute trouble *ICS* with wireless ad-hoc mode between two
    >>> machine using the XP O/S. Not only from a wireless point between the
    >>> machines as it's a flaky ICS situation using wireless, as it can and
    >>> will go down on you using XP, but also from the security aspects of a
    >>> wireless hacker hacking the machines on the wireless and accessing them.
    >>>
    >>> You need a wire/wireless AP router with the wireless cards in
    >>> infrastructure mode with the wireless router to protect them on the
    >>> wireless.
    >>>
    >>> http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm

    >>> You simply go get a wire/wireless AP NAT router.
    >>>
    >>> Here are the reasons you get a NAT router and put the machines behind
    >>> the protection of the NAT router.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    >>>
    >>> You do not want to do ICS with MS O/S machines with one machine, XP Home
    >>> at that, with a direct connection to the modem and a direct connection
    >>> to the Internet.
    >>>
    >>> You simply do not want to do this. It's pure trouble from a standpoint
    >>> of the machines being compromised.
    >>>
    >>> Some of it you can apply to Vista too, but at least cut down the attack
    >>> vector on the O/S(s) from the wireless side by securing the O/S(s) as
    >>> much as possible.
    >>>
    >>> http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    >> I know the set up I have isn't ideal - this is mainly due to having a
    >> Desktop PC with wifi, not using it until I bought a laptop, and now
    >> having bought another laptop - the infrastructure is there, and as such
    >> locally, there are no problems with wifi hacking - unless I'm hacking
    >> into the laptop when my friends' are using it downstairs ;)

    > LOL, you have no clue as to how a wireless hacker can hack your network on
    > the wireless side. There have been some recent posts in a FW and security
    > NG about wireless hackers that are coming through wireless routers that
    > have the security on them and hacked the machines wired and wireless.
    >
    > You have nothing in place.
    >
    > Do you even know what War Driving is about, because you are a sure
    > candidate sitting there in ignorance. <g>
    >
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=what is War driving&btnG=Google Search
    >
    > The setup you got an *ant* with wireless being your next door neighbor can
    > hack it, be all over the top of you machines hacking them setting up back
    > doors on them for later use, and you would even know it.

    Actually, unless someone wants to drive 25 miles out of their way to hack
    into my wireless system - I don't have a problem

    *Phantom Mendips*, May 18, 2007
  9. *Phantom Mendips*

    Guest

    On May 6, 2:24 pm, "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote:
    > "*Phantom Mendips*" <> wrote in message

    > > I've got a Desktop PC (Compaq) with WIFI connected to a broadband cable
    > > modem (as was NTL now Virgin). This is a XP Home OS

    > > I have a new Acer Laptop which connects to the net via the Wifi on the
    > > Desktop machine. This is a Vista Home Premium OS

    > That is absolute trouble *ICS* with wireless ad-hoc mode between two machine
    > using the XP O/S. Not only from a wireless point between the machines as
    > it's a flaky ICS situation using wireless, as it can and will go down on you
    > using XP, but also from the security aspects of a wireless hacker hacking
    > the machines on the wireless and accessing them.
    >
    > You need a wire/wireless AP router with the wireless cards in infrastructure
    > mode with the wireless router to protect them on the wireless.
    >
    > http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelesssecurity/tp/wifisecurity.htm
    >

    > > I'd like to be able to connect & transfer files between each machine, plus
    > > print using the printer connected to my Desktop PC, from the Laptop. In
    > > fact, the Desktop machine does show up on the group list, but when I try
    > > to "open" the computer, I get a Login error (not authorised etc)

    > > I've been looking everywhere (Google/Microsoft) and have tried several
    > > ways of getting this to work - with no success, plus after a while it
    > > cooks your brain.

    > > Can anyone shed any extra light on how to get what I want to work?

    > You simply go get a wire/wireless AP NAT router.
    >
    > Here are the reasons you get a NAT router and put the machines behind the
    > protection of the NAT router.
    >
    > http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
    >
    > You do not want to do ICS with MS O/S machines with one machine, XP Home at
    > that, with a direct connection to the modem and a direct connection to the
    > Internet.
    >
    > You simply do not want to do this. It's pure trouble from a standpoint of
    > the machines being compromised.
    >
    > Some of it you can apply to Vista too, but at least cut down the attack
    > vector on the O/S(s) from the wireless side by securing the O/S(s) as much
    > as possible.
    >
    > http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winxpsecuritychecklist.htm

    OK. you guys seem to know what you're talking about. So, if anyone can
    please help me, I'd appreciate it very much.

    I need to setup wireless broadband for my Toshiba Tablet PC Satellite
    R15 (upgraded from WinXP S2 to Windows Vista Ultimate) without setting
    up a home network because I only have that one computer.

    So, I don't even need a router, right? Can I just purchase a PCMCIA
    wireless broadband card, have a service plan in place like Sprint or
    Verizon, pop the card in the slot, install the wireless broadband
    software from Sprint or Verizon, and voila?!? Is that it? Will this
    work?

    Susan

    , May 18, 2007