    then, how could I do per their said?

    thanks in advance

    Bruce Cao
    Bruce Cao, Dec 6, 2004

  2. Bruce Cao

    Erik Freitag Guest

    On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:14:20 +0800, Bruce Cao wrote:

    > Our ISP told me my router is not at the same time with their, and they asked
    > me to set the time(or clock) in my router to synchronize with their devices.
    > otherwise the error will accumulate and cause the data link down.
    >
    > then, how could I do per their said?
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > Bruce Cao

    Did they give you an ntp server IP address? If so, it might be as simple
    as:

    router#ntp server ntp-server-ip-address

    You might also have to allow ntp through your firewall:

    router#permit udp host their-ntpserver-ip-address eq ntp hostyour-router-ip-address eq ntp

    put the above in your firewall inbound access list

    Depending on your platform, you might also want to add:

    router#ntp update-calendar

    If their ntp server requires authentication, or uses broadcast to send update, see the cisco manuals.
    Erik Freitag, Dec 6, 2004

  3. Bruce Cao

    PES Guest

    Bruce Cao wrote:
    > Our ISP told me my router is not at the same time with their, and they asked
    > me to set the time(or clock) in my router to synchronize with their devices.
    > otherwise the error will accumulate and cause the data link down.
    >
    > then, how could I do per their said?
    >
    > thanks in advance
    >
    > Bruce Cao

    Are they talking about the clock that keeps up with time (I'd be shocked
    if they cared), or the clock source on the serail interface (because
    they see interface errors)?

    --
    -------------------------
    Paul Stewart
    PES, Dec 6, 2004
  4. Erik Freitag <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:14:20 +0800, Bruce Cao wrote:
    >
    > > Our ISP told me my router is not at the same time with their, and they asked
    > > me to set the time(or clock) in my router to synchronize with their devices.
    > > otherwise the error will accumulate and cause the data link down.
    > >
    > > then, how could I do per their said?
    > >
    > > thanks in advance
    > >
    > > Bruce Cao

    > Did they give you an ntp server IP address? If so, it might be as simple
    > as:
    >
    > router#ntp server ntp-server-ip-address
    >
    > You might also have to allow ntp through your firewall:
    >
    > router#permit udp host their-ntpserver-ip-address eq ntp
    > hostyour-router-ip-address eq ntp
    >
    > put the above in your firewall inbound access list
    >
    > Depending on your platform, you might also want to add:
    >
    > router#ntp update-calendar
    >
    > If their ntp server requires authentication, or uses broadcast to send
    > update, see the cisco manuals.

    On my 837 running 12.3(11)T I have these options to my disposal:

    cisco837(config)#sntp ?
    broadcast Configure SNTP broadcast services
    logging Enable SNTP message logging
    multicast Configure SNTP multicast services
    server Configure SNTP server

    cisco837(config)#sntp server ?
    Hostname or A.B.C.D Name or IP address of server

    and I have to set the timezone using:

    cisco837(config)#clock ?
    initialize Initialize system clock on restart
    save backup of clock with NVRAM
    summer-time Configure summer (daylight savings) time
    timezone Configure time zone

    cisco837(config)#clock tim
    cisco837(config)#clock timezone ?
    WORD name of time zone

    cisco837(config)#clock timezone Ehv ?
    <-23 - 23> Hours offset from UTC

    hope this helps,

    Arnoud

    --
    For replying to me, please use my first and last name in the
    address. ++ M'n voor- en achternaam gebruiken in het email adres.
    Arnoud Helmantel, Dec 6, 2004