    on his computer. I suspect the answer is no, but I am an optimist.
    Thank you in advance
    Samantha
    Sam, Oct 29, 2006

  2. Sam

    Swampfox Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello
    > I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too
    > much. We have agreed that I can switch off his
    > access at 11pm each night. I am after some advice on
    > how to do it.
    > We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in
    > the house via an SMC Barricade. All computers use
    > Windows XP.
    > I would like to know whether there is a simple way
    > to have his access set on a timer that I can
    > control. I dont want to have to do it by setting
    > controls on his computer. I suspect the answer is
    > no, but I am an optimist.
    > Thank you in advance
    > Samantha

    I'm not familiar with the SMC router but it's very
    easy with a Dlink without going near your son's PC, so
    I'd assume it would be similar.
    Try reading the router manual/help files.
    Once you've done it you may have to password the
    router because if he's a normal tech savvy teenage boy
    he'll disable it.
    Then prepare for the argument.
    Swampfox, Oct 29, 2006

  3. Sam

    Guest

    Setup your home network as a domain server. On the domain server, alter
    his account that he can only access the Net, during the hours you wish.

    Sam wrote:
    > Hello
    > I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed that
    > I can switch off his access at 11pm each night. I am after some advice on
    > how to do it.
    > We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in the house via an SMC
    > Barricade. All computers use Windows XP.
    > I would like to know whether there is a simple way to have his access set on
    > a timer that I can control. I dont want to have to do it by setting controls
    > on his computer. I suspect the answer is no, but I am an optimist.
    > Thank you in advance
    > Samantha
    , Oct 29, 2006
  4. Sam

    Sam Guest

    How do I setup my home network as a domain server?

    Sam, Oct 29, 2006
  5. Sam

    Rod Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    > How do I setup my home network as a domain server?
    >
    > "Sam" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >> I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed
    >> that I can switch off his access at 11pm each night. I am after some
    >> advice on how to do it.
    >> We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in the house via an SMC
    >> Barricade. All computers use Windows XP.
    >> I would like to know whether there is a simple way to have his access set
    >> on a timer that I can control. I dont want to have to do it by setting
    >> controls on his computer. I suspect the answer is no, but I am an
    >> optimist.
    >> Thank you in advance
    >> Samantha
    >>

    >You're probably better off replacing your router with one that can restrict
    >access.

    I went through the same thing with my son and daughter.
    The Linksys WAG54G router I have has a setup page to restrict the hours/days
    of access. It can even allow you access while restricting the kids.

    Rod
    Rod, Oct 29, 2006
  6. Sam wrote:
    > How do I setup my home network as a domain server?
    >
    > "Sam" <> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>Hello
    >>I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed
    >>that I can switch off his access at 11pm each night. I am after some
    >>advice on how to do it.
    >>We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in the house via an SMC
    >>Barricade. All computers use Windows XP.
    >>I would like to know whether there is a simple way to have his access set
    >>on a timer that I can control. I dont want to have to do it by setting
    >>controls on his computer. I suspect the answer is no, but I am an
    >>optimist.
    >>Thank you in advance
    >>Samantha

    depending on his age/tech knowhow he's unlikely to have "agreed" to it
    unless he had some idea what you were about to do.

    you might just like to do what everyone else does and pull the plug..?
    David Fairbrother, Oct 29, 2006
  7. Sam

    Colin Guest

    On my Linksys router there is a maintenance tab called Access Restrictions.

    You enter the MAC address of any PC and set the hours that it can connect.

    You can also enter the IP but that would mean setting fixed IPs for the
    network or you could end up blocking yourself - no big deal to do.

    Maybe your router has a similar set-up

    Colin

    Colin, Oct 29, 2006
  8. Sam

    Sam Guest

    I have a Netgear wireless Router that I can use. Is that any better than the
    Barricade?

    Sam, Oct 29, 2006
  9. Sam

    Fred Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > I have a Netgear wireless Router that I can use. Is that any better
    > than the Barricade?

    You need to read the documentation supplied with the Barricade.
    Look for a rule that can be set up in the Firewall section that allows
    scheduling.

    Fred, Oct 29, 2006
  10. Sam

    Chuck Guest

    > "Sam" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >> I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed
    >> that I can switch off his access at 11pm each night. I am after some
    >> advice on how to do it.

    Here's some advice....better parenting.

    1) Get the computer out of his smelly bedroom.

    2) Your the parent, if you say No, then that's the end of it. Can't you
    trust him enough to do as told? Obviously he's not disciplined enough if he
    won't do as he is told.
    Chuck, Oct 29, 2006
  11. Sam

    atec77 Guest

    Sam wrote:
    > Hello
    > I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed that
    > I can switch off his access at 11pm each night. I am after some advice on
    > how to do it.
    > We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in the house via an SMC
    > Barricade. All computers use Windows XP.
    > I would like to know whether there is a simple way to have his access set on
    > a timer that I can control. I dont want to have to do it by setting controls
    > on his computer. I suspect the answer is no, but I am an optimist.
    > Thank you in advance
    > Samantha

    Place the computer in a family area , his usage will go WAY down , now
    guess what he is not doing in the dark to such a degree.
    Other than that set a limit on the barricade to his ip and it might
    allow you to also set times of use but moving it makes much more sense .
    atec77, Oct 29, 2006
  12. Sam

    Whatcher? Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hello
    > I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed
    > that I can switch off his access at 11pm each night. I am after some
    > advice on how to do it.
    > We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in the house via an SMC
    > Barricade. All computers use Windows XP.
    > I would like to know whether there is a simple way to have his access set
    > on a timer that I can control. I dont want to have to do it by setting
    > controls on his computer. I suspect the answer is no, but I am an
    > optimist.
    > Thank you in advance
    > Samantha

    Simple way - go to the router, pull the power pack out of the wall and the
    router and take it to YOUR room with you. No ADSL then.
    Whatcher?, Oct 29, 2006
  13. Sam

    Whatcher? Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Hello
    > I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed
    > that I can switch off his access at 11pm each night. I am after some
    > advice on how to do it.
    > We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in the house via an SMC
    > Barricade. All computers use Windows XP.
    > I would like to know whether there is a simple way to have his access set
    > on a timer that I can control. I dont want to have to do it by setting
    > controls on his computer. I suspect the answer is no, but I am an
    > optimist.
    > Thank you in advance
    > Samantha

    PS,

    Those people telling you to set different times at the router - if the kid
    has access to the router and knows enough, it would take only a few minutes
    for him to completely reset it, enter the logon account details and get in
    again which is why I say to pull the power pack out and take it into your
    room with you. I can tell you that if he shoves the wrong power pack in it,
    he risks burning it out. Tell him that in case he gets ideas.
    Whatcher?, Oct 29, 2006
  14. Whatcher? wrote:
    > "Sam" <> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>Hello
    >>I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed
    >>that I can switch off his access at 11pm each night. I am after some
    >>advice on how to do it.
    >>We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in the house via an SMC
    >>Barricade. All computers use Windows XP.
    >>I would like to know whether there is a simple way to have his access set
    >>on a timer that I can control. I dont want to have to do it by setting
    >>controls on his computer. I suspect the answer is no, but I am an
    >>optimist.
    >>Thank you in advance
    >>Samantha
    >>

    > PS,
    >
    > Those people telling you to set different times at the router - if the kid
    > has access to the router and knows enough, it would take only a few minutes
    > for him to completely reset it, enter the logon account details and get in
    > again which is why I say to pull the power pack out and take it into your
    > room with you.

    yes, but..
    > I can tell you that if he shoves the wrong power pack in it,
    > he risks burning it out. Tell him that in case he gets ideas.

    you mean the actual power pack plug? he removes it, moves it to another
    room and plugs it back in. unless i'm mistaken and i have no idea what
    you're talking about...he'd need to have a negative IQ to do that.
    David Fairbrother, Oct 29, 2006
  15. Sam

    Rod Speed Guest

    Chuck <> wrote
    > Sam <> wrote

    >> I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed that I can switch off his
    >> access at 11pm each night. I am after some advice on how to do it.

    > Here's some advice....better parenting.

    Easy to say.

    > 1) Get the computer out of his smelly bedroom.

    Stupid approach.

    > 2) Your the parent, if you say No, then that's the end of it.

    Then there's the real world.

    > Can't you trust him enough to do as told? Obviously he's not disciplined enough if he won't do as
    > he is told.

    Pathetic, really.
    Rod Speed, Oct 29, 2006
  16. Sam

    Rod Speed Guest

    Sam <> wrote:

    > I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed that I can switch off his
    > access at 11pm each night.

    Dont forget who will be picking your nursing home.

    > I am after some advice on how to do it.

    > We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in the house via an SMC Barricade. All computers
    > use Windows XP.

    > I would like to know whether there is a simple way to have his access set on a timer that I can
    > control. I dont want to have to do it by setting controls on his computer. I suspect the answer is
    > no, but I am an optimist.

    Its quite easy to do if you trust him to not molest his system.
    Rod Speed, Oct 29, 2006
  17. Sam

    tony sayer Guest

    In article <>, Rod Speed
    <> writes
    >Sam <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed that I

    >can switch off his
    >> access at 11pm each night.

    >Dont forget who will be picking your nursing home.

    LOL!,, Unless you've spent his inheritance first:))

    --
    Tony Sayer
    tony sayer, Oct 29, 2006
  18. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Wow! So simple. Thank you for this advice. You are so insightful being able
    to sum up the situation so quickly. Do you have an advice column I can
    consult for all my other parenting issues?

    Sam, Oct 29, 2006
  19. Sam

    Sam Guest

    I trust him otherwise it would not be in his room. Sometimes the temptation
    to chat etc is too hard to resist. There are enough hours before 11pm to do
    whatever he wants or needs to do on the net and we have agreed on a time as
    an override. I just want to know how to do it.

    Sam, Oct 29, 2006
  20. Sam

    Whatcher? Guest

    "David Fairbrother" <> wrote in message
    > Whatcher? wrote:
    >> "Sam" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hello
    >>>I have a teenage son who I think uses the net too much. We have agreed
    >>>that I can switch off his access at 11pm each night. I am after some
    >>>advice on how to do it.
    >>>We have adsl and it is routed to a few computers in the house via an SMC
    >>>Barricade. All computers use Windows XP.
    >>>I would like to know whether there is a simple way to have his access set
    >>>on a timer that I can control. I dont want to have to do it by setting
    >>>controls on his computer. I suspect the answer is no, but I am an
    >>>optimist.
    >>>Thank you in advance
    >>>Samantha
    >>>

    >> PS,
    >>
    >> Those people telling you to set different times at the router - if the
    >> kid has access to the router and knows enough, it would take only a few
    >> minutes for him to completely reset it, enter the logon account details
    >> and get in again which is why I say to pull the power pack out and take
    >> it into your room with you.

    > yes, but..
    >> I can tell you that if he shoves the wrong power pack in it, he risks
    >> burning it out. Tell him that in case he gets ideas.

    > you mean the actual power pack plug? he removes it, moves it to another
    > room and plugs it back in. unless i'm mistaken and i have no idea what
    > you're talking about...he'd need to have a negative IQ to do that.

    I don't know if you entirely understand. You have a power pack for a
    particular router. You take that power pack, as the parent, to your room
    when you go to bed. The router is left where it is, no power supplied. If
    the kid has yet another power pack for something else with the same plug
    that can go into the power hole on the router and plugs it in, if it isn't
    the right power output, he can burn the router out. I had to replace one at
    a medical surgery last month that did EXACTLY that.

    That is why I say to take the power pack and warn the kid what could happen
    to scare the crap out of it.
    Whatcher?, Oct 29, 2006