How to set Mozilla as text-only browser?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Robert Mohr, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. Robert Mohr

    Robert Mohr Guest

    wylbur37 wrote:
    > If you want Mozilla to function as a text-only (i.e., no graphics) browser,
    > where do you specify that?

    Turn off images.
    --
    Robert Mohr

    <http://www.mozilla.org/wishlist-faq.html>
    <http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/>
    <http://texturizer.net/firebird/>
    <http://www.mozilla.org/community-etiquette.html>

    Robert Mohr, Nov 24, 2003

  2. Robert Mohr

    wylbur37 Guest

    wylbur37, Nov 24, 2003

  3. Robert Mohr

    J.O. Aho Guest

    wylbur37 wrote:
    > If you want Mozilla to function as a text-only (i.e., no graphics) browser,
    > where do you specify that?

    try links or lynx instead if you want a console based browser

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Nov 24, 2003
  4. Robert Mohr

    Arlequin Guest

    wylbur37 wrote:
    > If you want Mozilla to function as a text-only (i.e., no graphics) browser,
    > where do you specify that?

    Edit / Preferences / Privacy & Security / Images / Do not load any images

    Arlequin, Nov 24, 2003
  5. Robert Mohr

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <bpt39o$> in
    netscape.public.mozilla.browser, Arlequin <arleq@linuxmail_DOT_org>
    wrote:
    >wylbur37 wrote:
    >> If you want Mozilla to function as a text-only (i.e., no graphics) browser,
    >> where do you specify that?

    >Edit / Preferences / Privacy & Security / Images / Do not load any images

    However, for some reason that setting is ignored on localhost. This
    is bad because it means you can't check your site in text-only
    before uploading it.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Fortunately, I live in the United States of America, where we are
    gradually coming to understand that nothing we do is ever our
    fault, especially if it is really stupid. --Dave Barry

    Stan Brown, Nov 24, 2003
  6. Robert Mohr

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:13:48 -0500, Stan Brown
    <> wrote:

    >>Edit / Preferences / Privacy & Security / Images / Do not load any images

    >However, for some reason that setting is ignored on localhost. This
    >is bad because it means you can't check your site in text-only
    >before uploading it.

    Did you clear the cache?

    Bob, Nov 24, 2003
  7. Robert Mohr

    Robert Mohr Guest

    Stan Brown wrote:
    > In article <bpt39o$> in
    > netscape.public.mozilla.browser, Arlequin <arleq@linuxmail_DOT_org>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>wylbur37 wrote:
    >>
    >>>If you want Mozilla to function as a text-only (i.e., no graphics) browser,
    >>>where do you specify that?

    >>Edit / Preferences / Privacy & Security / Images / Do not load any images

    > However, for some reason that setting is ignored on localhost. This
    > is bad because it means you can't check your site in text-only
    > before uploading it.

    Get the Web Developer toolbar for Mozilla Firebird. (I don't know if it
    works with the suite.)

    Robert Mohr, Nov 24, 2003
  8. Robert Mohr

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <> in
    netscape.public.mozilla.browser, Bob <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:13:48 -0500, Stan Brown
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>>Edit / Preferences / Privacy & Security / Images / Do not load any images

    >>However, for some reason that setting is ignored on localhost. This
    >>is bad because it means you can't check your site in text-only
    >>before uploading it.

    >Did you clear the cache?

    Yes, I did. Images still showed up.

    Mozilla 1.4, I think; "Help:About" doesn't show the actual version
    number so it might be 1.4.1. It's Win 98.

    Stan Brown, Nov 24, 2003
  9. Robert Mohr

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:38:03 -0500, Stan Brown
    <> wrote:

    >Mozilla 1.4, I think; "Help:About" doesn't show the actual version
    >number so it might be 1.4.1.

    The reason that "Help:About" does not work is you do not have
    JavaScript implemented. That could be the reason text-only browsing
    doesn't work either.

    >It's Win 98.

    Get a decent OS. Win9x is a crappy task switcher which some claim is
    also a virus. Get an NT-based OS, preferrably Win2K.

    Is there any justification to run Win9x anymore? I can't think of any
    since MS repaired the HAL problem in NT. But then I am not a gamester.

    Bob, Nov 25, 2003
  10. Robert Mohr wrote:

    > Stan Brown wrote:
    >
    >> In article <bpt39o$> in
    >> netscape.public.mozilla.browser, Arlequin <arleq@linuxmail_DOT_org>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Edit / Preferences / Privacy & Security / Images / Do not load any
    >>> images

    >> However, for some reason that setting is ignored on localhost. This is
    >> bad because it means you can't check your site in text-only before
    >> uploading it.
    >>

    > Get the Web Developer toolbar for Mozilla Firebird. (I don't know if it
    > works with the suite.)

    Web Developer is FB only. PNH Developer Toolbar works on Moz.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Nov 25, 2003
  11. Robert Mohr

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bob wrote:

    > On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 18:38:03 -0500, Stan Brown
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Mozilla 1.4, I think; "Help:About" doesn't show the actual version
    >>number so it might be 1.4.1.

    > The reason that "Help:About" does not work is you do not have
    > JavaScript implemented. That could be the reason text-only browsing
    > doesn't work either.
    >

    >>It's Win 98.

    > Get a decent OS. Win9x is a crappy task switcher which some claim is
    > also a virus. Get an NT-based OS, preferrably Win2K.
    >
    > Is there any justification to run Win9x anymore? I can't think of any
    > since MS repaired the HAL problem in NT. But then I am not a gamester.

    I run Win98SE on my wife's machine because HP refuses to support any
    problems I might have with WinXP, and won't even say it will load.... I
    will wait until I replace the machine.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 25, 2003
  12. Robert Mohr

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <> in
    netscape.public.mozilla.browser, Bob <> wrote:
    >The reason that "Help:About" does not work is you do not have
    >JavaScript implemented. That could be the reason text-only browsing
    >doesn't work either.

    Thanks -- I needed a good laugh this morning.

    Stan Brown, Nov 25, 2003
  13. Robert Mohr

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 05:34:26 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    >I run Win98SE on my wife's machine because HP refuses to support any
    >problems I might have with WinXP, and won't even say it will load.... I
    >will wait until I replace the machine.

    Then run Win2K. It's stable (we are on SP4 now) and it works better
    than XP according to those who are in the know.

    Bob, Nov 25, 2003
  14. Robert Mohr

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:30:51 -0500, Stan Brown
    <> wrote:

    >>The reason that "Help:About" does not work is you do not have
    >>JavaScript implemented. That could be the reason text-only browsing
    >>doesn't work either.

    >Thanks -- I needed a good laugh this morning.

    What's so funny?

    Or are you unaware that Help:About does not display the version number
    if JavaScript is disabled?

    Bob, Nov 25, 2003
  15. Robert Mohr

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bob wrote:

    > On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 05:34:26 -0600, Ron Hunter <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>I run Win98SE on my wife's machine because HP refuses to support any
    >>problems I might have with WinXP, and won't even say it will load.... I
    >>will wait until I replace the machine.

    > Then run Win2K. It's stable (we are on SP4 now) and it works better
    > than XP according to those who are in the know.

    NOT in my experience.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 25, 2003