    computer and, if so, how would I go about doing it?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    ricseb

    =?Utf-8?B?cmljc2Vi?=, Sep 17, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cmljc2Vi?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    Since WinXP Pro is not a server OS. You can not set a Domain, and or manage
    a Network (AD) unless you use Server OS (like Win2003).
    It seems that all computers are connected to the Router's switch as regular
    peer to peer Network should.
    If you seeking other types of monitoring - http://www.ezlan.net/monitor.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "ricseb" <> wrote in message
    > I have a LAN with 1 server, two client computers, and 2 laptops. All
    > machines are running WinXPHome except for the server which is running XP

    Pro.
    > My mother's computer is directly connected to a hi-speed cable modem,
    > running thru a Linksys wireless router. The server (Dell) and other

    desktop
    > machines R in my room. The server is connected via cat5 ethernet cable to
    > the back of the router. My desktop is connected wirelessly, as R the two
    > laptops.
    > How do I use the server (running WinXP Pro) to control the LAN even though
    > the cable and router R connected to my mothers room. My instructor told

    the
    > server doesn't have to be directly connected to the modem to act as a

    server
    > for the network. Also, should I set up this network as a "Workgroup", or

    as
    > a "Domain". I've installed WinSer03 for class & have experience with
    > installing & configuring DHCP, but WinSer03 is a 90 day trial version and
    > will expire shortly. I also have Red Hat Linux that I could install on

    the

    Jack, Sep 17, 2005

  3. Thanks for ur help Jack. I have an evaluation version (120 days) of WinSer03
    that I'm using on a Dell pentium iii server. So far so good. It is just my
    lack of knowledge that's getting in the way. I re-installed WinSer03 and
    started from scratch configuring it. And, I'm only creating a network
    between the server and my desktop which is running XP Pro. Your tips helped
    a lot.

    Rick Sebastian (ricseb)

    =?Utf-8?B?cmljc2Vi?=, Sep 21, 2005