    like to know if and how to accomplish what I want using CLI.

    Thanks in advance

    SW

    S W, Mar 7, 2005

  2. S W

    RobO Guest

    Hi,

    Yes definitely its possible!

    I dont know how to do it in CRWS if one can....but you most surely can
    from the command line.
    Are you able to logon via command line???
    You need to go to global configuration mode and run the below route
    statement like this:
    <
    router#config terminal
    router(config)#ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 dialer1

    Now depending on what sort of VPN setup you are considering to use the
    above is just a guide.
    The command is "ip route [dest_network] [dest_subnet_mask] [interface]
    [hops/metric]

    Rob

    RobO, Mar 7, 2005

  3. S W

    S W Guest

    "RobO" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Yes definitely its possible!
    >
    > I dont know how to do it in CRWS if one can....but you most surely can
    > from the command line.
    > Are you able to logon via command line???
    > You need to go to global configuration mode and run the below route
    > statement like this:
    > <
    > router#config terminal
    > router(config)#ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 dialer1
    >>

    > Now depending on what sort of VPN setup you are considering to use the
    > above is just a guide.
    > The command is "ip route [dest_network] [dest_subnet_mask] [interface]
    > [hops/metric]
    >
    > Rob

    Hi,
    I haven't yet bought the VPN routers for the permanent link, so I'm guessing
    that I'll give the one this end an IP address on the LAN, and that will be
    what you've called dialer1 in the example.
    What is [hops/metric]?

    Thanks S

    S W, Mar 7, 2005
  4. S W

    AM Guest

    S W wrote:
    > "RobO" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Yes definitely its possible!
    >>
    >>I dont know how to do it in CRWS if one can....but you most surely can
    >>from the command line.
    >>Are you able to logon via command line???
    >>You need to go to global configuration mode and run the below route
    >>statement like this:
    >><
    >>router#config terminal
    >>router(config)#ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 dialer1
    >>
    >>Now depending on what sort of VPN setup you are considering to use the
    >>above is just a guide.
    >>The command is "ip route [dest_network] [dest_subnet_mask] [interface]
    >>[hops/metric]
    >>
    >>Robas

    > Hi,
    > I haven't yet bought the VPN routers for the permanent link, so I'm guessing
    > that I'll give the one this end an IP address on the LAN, and that will be
    > what you've called dialer1 in the example.
    > What is [hops/metric]?
    >
    > Thanks S

    Say you have a LAN with 192.168.0.0/24 and your router has 192.168.0.1 and you have another device,
    say 192.168.0.254, used as VPN endpoint between 2 nets linked via tunnel. Say the other LAN, behind
    the other VPN endpoint, is 192.168.10.0/24.
    In this environment the statemenent you should add to your 837 is

    ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.254 1

    in config mode
    The hops/metric means, basically, how many routers your packets must pass through before reaching
    the next hop.

    HTH,
    Alex.

    AM, Mar 7, 2005
  5. S W

    Tom Guest

    > The hops/metric means, basically, how many routers your packets must pass
    > through before reaching the next hop.

    Erm ... no!

    If I had these two statements:

    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0 1
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 BRI0 20

    Would it mean that the next hop off the BRI interface was 20 routers away?

    Tom, Mar 7, 2005
  6. S W

    AM Guest

    Tom wrote:
    >>The hops/metric means, basically, how many routers your packets must pass
    >>through before reaching the next hop.

    > Erm ... no!
    >
    > If I had these two statements:
    >
    > ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0 1
    > ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 BRI0 20
    >
    > Would it mean that the next hop off the BRI interface was 20 routers away?

    Uhmmmm... yes I saw these kind of metric in windows route. I feel in doubt. Have you a correct definition of hop/metric?
    Or perhaps it indicates only a cost to reach the network specified?

    Alex.

    AM, Mar 8, 2005
  7. S W

    S W Guest

    "AM" <> wrote in message
    >S W wrote:
    >> "RobO" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Yes definitely its possible!
    >>>
    >>>I dont know how to do it in CRWS if one can....but you most surely can
    >>>from the command line.
    >>>Are you able to logon via command line???
    >>>You need to go to global configuration mode and run the below route
    >>>statement like this:
    >>><
    >>>router#config terminal
    >>>router(config)#ip route 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 dialer1
    >>>
    >>>Now depending on what sort of VPN setup you are considering to use the
    >>>above is just a guide.
    >>>The command is "ip route [dest_network] [dest_subnet_mask] [interface]
    >>>[hops/metric]
    >>>
    >>>Robas

    >> Hi,
    >> I haven't yet bought the VPN routers for the permanent link, so I'm
    >> guessing that I'll give the one this end an IP address on the LAN, and
    >> that will be what you've called dialer1 in the example.
    >> What is [hops/metric]?
    >>
    >> Thanks S

    > Say you have a LAN with 192.168.0.0/24 and your router has 192.168.0.1 and
    > you have another device, say 192.168.0.254, used as VPN endpoint between 2
    > nets linked via tunnel. Say the other LAN, behind the other VPN endpoint,
    > is 192.168.10.0/24.
    > In this environment the statemenent you should add to your 837 is
    >
    > ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.254 1
    >
    > in config mode
    > The hops/metric means, basically, how many routers your packets must pass
    > through before reaching the next hop.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Alex.

    Hi,

    Thanks to all for your help on this one.
    What I forgot to say at the start was that when I've used the 837 to set the
    static route, I still need to use it exactly as I'm using it at the moment,
    that is, for Internet access, PAT, and remote access via VPN.
    Will setting the static route affect the router's other functions?

    Regards

    S W

    S W, Mar 8, 2005
  8. S W

    Tom Guest

    "AM" <> wrote in message
    > Tom wrote:
    >>>The hops/metric means, basically, how many routers your packets must pass
    >>>through before reaching the next hop.

    >> Erm ... no!
    >>
    >> If I had these two statements:
    >>
    >> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0 1
    >> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 BRI0 20
    >>
    >> Would it mean that the next hop off the BRI interface was 20 routers
    >> away?

    > Uhmmmm... yes I saw these kind of metric in windows route. I feel in
    > doubt. Have you a correct definition of hop/metric? Or perhaps it
    > indicates only a cost to reach the network specified?
    >
    > Alex.

    It defines the desireability of the route. If I have these two routes and
    then the one with the lowest administrative distance will be chosen
    providing that the next hop is available. If that route goes down then the
    next lowest value is used, basically speaking.

    It has nothing to do with 'how many routers' there are between this router
    and the destination. The local router is only concerned with the next
    hop/interface.

    Tom, Mar 8, 2005