how to see what largest files are on disk?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by pheonix1t, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. pheonix1t

    pheonix1t Guest

    hello,
    How can I tell what are the largest files on a disk or partition on
    windows 2000 server? (even 2003). On unix/linux, you can use the du
    (disk usage) command and then sort it by size, even output it to a file
    if you want. I would like something scriptable - I have lots of win2k
    servers that have mystery files on them. No documentation, so I have to
    start from scratch. I intend to write a script that will determine the
    file size (per disk) for each server and output the results (sorted by
    size) to a file. Later on, I can put those results in a spread sheet
    for easier analysis.
    It's not that hard to do this on unix/linux....I've looked on the help
    files and all over win2k reference books, but I can't find a command
    line tool that does this. I can't sit at each server with windows
    explorer poking around each folder - that's is just NOT acceptable.

    Thanks,
    Oskar
    pheonix1t, Sep 11, 2003

  2. pheonix1t

    Kendal Emery Guest

    dir /l

    it lists the directory in long format, which also gives the size of any
    file.

    Also if you do a dir /? it will tell you all the options for the dir
    command, including one to sort the listing by size. Hope that helps.

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Kendal Emery, Sep 11, 2003

  3. pheonix1t

    pheonix1t Guest

    Kendal Emery wrote:

    > dir /l
    >
    > it lists the directory in long format, which also gives the size of any
    > file.
    >
    > Also if you do a dir /? it will tell you all the options for the dir
    > command, including one to sort the listing by size. Hope that helps.

    this is cool....now how can I redirect the output from the screen to a
    file? I need to collect this info. from a lot of machines.

    Also, how can I pass multiple options? I would like to tell it to use
    the /O option with the -S switch so it can sort in reverse order
    (largest first) and also use the /S option so it can dig into the
    subdirectories...but I still have to tell it which disk or partition?
    Isn't there a way to just tell it start at the root or C drive and tell
    me everything, even other disks or partitions?
    I try to pass it multiple options but it won't take it. I try to do dir
    /SO -S, but then I get error "Parameter format not correct".
    Using the dir /OS doesn't give me an output of all the subdirectories,
    but dir /S will.

    Thank you,

    Oskar

    pheonix1t, Sep 11, 2003
  4. pheonix1t

    Maestro Guest

    Try dir /O /S, etc...

    in message

    Maestro, Sep 11, 2003
  5. pheonix1t

    Kendal Emery Guest

    I feel like I am teaching dos 101 :) Oh well, legitimate questions.....

    Maestro answered the multiple options question.

    To redirect to anything..... use the redirection command ">" without the
    quotes, so to redirect the command in your situation use

    dir /O-S /S > file.txt

    or you can send it to your printer by

    dir /O-S /S > prn

    There is a lot of cool things like this in dos....

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Kendal Emery, Sep 11, 2003
  6. "Maestro" <> wrote in message
    > Try dir /O /S, etc...

    I think he needs a lot more help than that.

    For starters, do dir /?

    I won't even get into output redirection yet.

    Let alone Windows Scripting.

    --
    Fris "One bit at a time, lest he choke" bee® MCNGP #13

    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Sep 11, 2003
  7. pheonix1t

    Kendal Emery Guest

    "pheonix1t" <> wrote in message
    > Kendal Emery wrote:

    <SNIP>

    > Also, how can I pass multiple options? I would like to tell it to use
    > the /O option with the -S switch so it can sort in reverse order
    > (largest first) and also use the /S option so it can dig into the
    > subdirectories...but I still have to tell it which disk or partition?
    > Isn't there a way to just tell it start at the root or C drive and tell
    > me everything, even other disks or partitions?
    > I try to pass it multiple options but it won't take it. I try to do dir
    > /SO -S, but then I get error "Parameter format not correct".
    > Using the dir /OS doesn't give me an output of all the subdirectories,
    > but dir /S will.

    I kind of answered this, but let me be just a tad bit clearer....

    Every switch has to have the / before it, and they must be separated by a
    space

    so dir /P and dir /w together become dir /p /w

    if the switch has any parameters such as a -S it is put with the switch

    so using your example

    dir /O-S and dir /S become dir /O-S /S

    Is that clear enough?
    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me

    Kendal Emery, Sep 11, 2003
  8. "Kendal Emery" <> wrote in message
    > "pheonix1t" <> wrote in message
    > > Kendal Emery wrote:

    > <SNIP>

    <SNIPPETY-DOO-DAH>

    > I kind of answered this, but let me be just a tad bit clearer....
    >
    > Every switch has to have the / before it, and they must be separated by a
    > space

    You're half right.

    > so dir /P and dir /w together become dir /p /w

    or dir /p/w

    > if the switch has any parameters such as a -S it is put with the switch
    >
    > so using your example
    >
    > dir /O-S and dir /S become dir /O-S /S

    or dir /O-S/S

    > Is that clear enough?

    clear as mud

    --
    Fris "cd backaslasha" bee® MCNGP #13

    =?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE_MCNGP?=, Sep 11, 2003
  9. pheonix1t

    pheonix1t Guest

    Kendal Emery wrote:
    > "pheonix1t" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Kendal Emery wrote:

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>Also, how can I pass multiple options? I would like to tell it to use
    >>the /O option with the -S switch so it can sort in reverse order
    >>(largest first) and also use the /S option so it can dig into the
    >>subdirectories...but I still have to tell it which disk or partition?
    >>Isn't there a way to just tell it start at the root or C drive and tell
    >>me everything, even other disks or partitions?
    >>I try to pass it multiple options but it won't take it. I try to do dir
    >>/SO -S, but then I get error "Parameter format not correct".
    >>Using the dir /OS doesn't give me an output of all the subdirectories,
    >>but dir /S will.
    >>

    > I kind of answered this, but let me be just a tad bit clearer....
    >
    > Every switch has to have the / before it, and they must be separated by a
    > space
    >
    > so dir /P and dir /w together become dir /p /w
    >
    > if the switch has any parameters such as a -S it is put with the switch
    >
    > so using your example
    >
    > dir /O-S and dir /S become dir /O-S /S

    thank you
    I'm sorry that I don't know too much about DOS! I don't work on windows
    machines that much from a command line, I'm more familiar with shells on
    unix/linux.
    It is nice to see that people haven't forgotten their DOS though!
    Didn't Microsoft or someone from there say DOS is dead? I recall seeing
    that somewhere.

    Regards,

    Oskar

    pheonix1t, Sep 12, 2003
  10. pheonix1t

    pheonix1t Guest

    Kendal Emery wrote:
    > "pheonix1t" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Kendal Emery wrote:

    > <SNIP>
    >
    >>Also, how can I pass multiple options? I would like to tell it to use
    >>the /O option with the -S switch so it can sort in reverse order
    >>(largest first) and also use the /S option so it can dig into the
    >>subdirectories...but I still have to tell it which disk or partition?
    >>Isn't there a way to just tell it start at the root or C drive and tell
    >>me everything, even other disks or partitions?
    >>I try to pass it multiple options but it won't take it. I try to do dir
    >>/SO -S, but then I get error "Parameter format not correct".
    >>Using the dir /OS doesn't give me an output of all the subdirectories,
    >>but dir /S will.
    >>

    > I kind of answered this, but let me be just a tad bit clearer....
    >
    > Every switch has to have the / before it, and they must be separated by a
    > space
    >
    > so dir /P and dir /w together become dir /p /w
    >
    > if the switch has any parameters such as a -S it is put with the switch
    >
    > so using your example
    >
    > dir /O-S and dir /S become dir /O-S /S
    >
    > Is that clear enough?

    that's cool...so I ran from a c: prompt
    dir /S /O-S > dump.txt
    but this gave me only the info. on the c drive. What about other drives
    or partitions? Do I have to write the script telling it to look for the
    other partitions? So, I still have to visit each machine to see how
    many drives/partitions it has?

    Thanks,
    Oskar

    pheonix1t, Sep 12, 2003
  11. pheonix1t

    licknlabia Guest

    stop trying to reinvent the fucking wheel and use tools available to you.

    treesize professional, cheap, and does everything you ask for.

    - rg

    licknlabia, Sep 12, 2003
  12. pheonix1t

    licknlabia Guest

    Everyone

    Stop trying to reinvent the frickin wheel and use tools available to you.

    treesize professional, cheap, and does everything you ask for and more
    including pretty graphs to show mgmt types.

    our job is to use all tools available, so stop wasting time trying to figure
    out how to write a batch file or program that is already out there, saves
    you time, unless you are trying to impress your boss.

    - rg

    licknlabia, Sep 12, 2003
  13. pheonix1t

    pheonix1t Guest

    Kendal Emery wrote:

    >>that's cool...so I ran from a c: prompt
    >>dir /S /O-S > dump.txt
    >>but this gave me only the info. on the c drive. What about other drives
    >>or partitions? Do I have to write the script telling it to look for the
    >>other partitions? So, I still have to visit each machine to see how
    >>many drives/partitions it has?
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Oskar
    >>

    > There is probably an easier way, but if you know the partitions, and the
    > network drives you want.....
    > Map the drives to your system....
    > write a simple batch program that does the following
    >
    > dir c: /S /O-S > dump.txt
    > dir d: /S /O-S >> dump.txt
    > etc....
    >
    > the double >> tells it to add that information to the end of the file.
    >
    > You could also put information in before each drive as
    >
    > echo "This is drive d:" >> dump.txt
    >
    > And a message to licknlabia, yes it may be re-inventing the wheel to you,
    > but some of us can't even spend 50 cents without a two month approval
    > process. So it is nice to be able to figure out how to do some things
    > yourself.....

    Kendal,
    thank you very much for your well regarded advice. To labia and the
    others, gui tools are NOT acceptable in this place (mostly unix/linux
    shop). Everything has to be scriptable, this is a large place....and if
    done right, scripting or "batch files", as you guys call it in the
    windows world, IS making use of the tools you already have! In my
    opinion this is a much better approach to this problem instead of going
    and buying some gui tool. You can write a custom script and save it for
    next time.....then you don't have to go through this again! Next time,
    it's just a few clicks away.

    Again, thank you for your time Kendal!

    pheonix1t, Sep 12, 2003