    interface on a cisco router?

    Thanks,

    David
    Roach4, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Roach4

    Peter Guest

    Hi David,

    Roach4 wrote:
    > Is there a way to see which DLCI number we have assigned to an
    > interface on a cisco router?

    Hmmm, I am not too sure what you are trying to find, just looking at
    the router config (sh run) should display the configuration defined
    DLCI's. In addition, issuing the command "show frame-relay pvc" (with
    an active frame-relay connection) will show you all router defined
    DLCI's (along with their current status), plus any DLCI's that are
    "active" at the providers end, but NOT defined in the router.

    Whenever I am asked to bring up a new frame-relay circuit, I usually
    always check on what DLCI's are visible, before I actually activate
    the sub-interface. We have found that some providers give out
    mis-leading info about this.....;-)

    Regards...........pk.

    --
    *** Replace SOMEONE with prk ***
    Peter, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Roach4

    Roach4 Guest

    Peter,

    Thanks for your interest.

    What I'm trying to do is to know the actual DLCI defined in the router
    i'm logged in.

    Any idea how i could do this?

    David

    Roach4, Jan 16, 2004
  4. Roach4

    Peter Guest

    Hi David,

    > What I'm trying to do is to know the actual DLCI defined in the router
    > i'm logged in.
    >
    > Any idea how i could do this?

    Ok, it sounds like you may not be too familiar with looking at Router
    configs then. Perhaps the best way we could help is if you were able
    to post the relevant parts of a sanitised config... Unfortunately,
    there are actually a few methods of configuring Frame-relay links
    (some related to how old your IOS version is) and they all look a bit
    different, so here are a few hints.

    On the Router (assuming you have a login that allows you to display
    the config), issue the "show run" command. Capture all the output to a
    file, for later reference. There are often several different places in
    a router config that you can find F/R info, however the DLCI is always
    stored under the specific INTERFACE that is running the F/R
    connection. Assuming your frame-relay link is connected to serial0/1
    on the router, look for -

    interface serial0/1
    encapsulation frame-relay
    ... probably other lines here ...

    Under that interface you may or may not find SUB-INTERFACES defined
    depending on the method that was used to define your connection(s).
    Look for a line reading -

    frame-relay interface-dlci nnnn

    or for very old configs, it may be defined under a PVC statement.
    If there are multiple of these lines (and/or sub-interfaces), then you
    need to know which one you are working with. Hopefully sub-interfaces
    are used and whoever did the router config also used DESCRIPTION lines
    on each one.

    As an example you could have -

    Interface Serial 0
    no ip address
    encapsulation frame-relay
    !
    interface Serial0.1 <== sub-interface
    description Link to site ONE using circuit BLAH1
    ip address n.n.n.n m.m.m.m
    frame-relay interface-dlci 100 <== the bit you want
    !
    interface Serial0.2
    description Link to site TWO using circuit BLAH2
    ip address n.n.n.n m.m.m.m
    frame-relay interface-dlci 200
    !
    etc...

    Another way would be to issue the command -

    show frame-relay pvc

    and that would display all the configured and learnt DLCI info.

    There may be other lines relating to traffic shaping, but they are not
    relevant to the DLCI details.

    I hope this helps..........pk.

    --
    *** Replace SOMEONE with prk ***