How to see dbgprint message in WinDbg ?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009.

  1. Hello,

    WinDbg is connected to Windows 7 RTM x64 Ultimate (running in debug mode).

    WinDbg says to press g and enter and so forth.

    Now I want to see the dbgprint messages of the netvmini driver ?!?

    I tried to enter the following command in WinDbg:

    "Break"

    and

    "!dbgprint"

    It showed two blocks or so:

    [][]:

    And that was it ?!?

    Is it possible to make some kind of recording ?

    I understand there could be many many many of these messages ?

    How do I proceed ?

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009

  2. Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009

  3. I added the folder of the driver pdb's... to the symbol path...

    Should I also add the folders to the application pdb's to the symbol path ?

    For now I will do that too... But I am not sure if that's ok ?

    Maybe only driver pdb's should be added ? hmm...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009
  4. Also should source be set to the root of "exe" and "sys" folder or just
    "sys" folder...

    Well I am out of luck...

    Some tutorial website doing an update:

    "
    Welcome to the Code Project
    Your place for free C++, C# and .NET articles, code snippets, discussions,
    news and the best bunch of developers on the net.
    The Code Project is currently getting a hardware upgrade. We will be back
    online at 6AM US Eastern Time (11 AM GMT, 10PM Sydney).
    "

    Maybe I have some tutorial somewhere on my hd... I think I did something
    like this before ;) But don't count on it ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009
  5. Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009
  6. The WinDbg help has some info...

    Right now I am trying:

    ed netvmini_Mask 0x8

    This seems to do something ;)

    It's downloading/loading stuff.

    I'll have to stop soon because it's bed time :p*

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009
  7. It's pooping out some errors ;)

    I hope it's not downloading all this stuff for nothing.

    I think these probably drivers it can't find the symbols for...

    Looks like some vmware drivers in there ;)

    1: kd> ed netvmini_Mask 0x8
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for
    amdxata.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for
    vmrawdsk.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for
    spldr.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for
    vmmemctl.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for
    peauth.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for
    secdrv.SYS
    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for
    spsys.sys -
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for
    vmhgfs.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for
    vmmouse.sys
    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for
    vmci.sys -
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for
    vmx_svga.sys
    *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for
    vmaudio.sys
    *** ERROR: Symbol file could not be found. Defaulted to export symbols for
    drmk.sys -

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009
  8. So much for that:

    Couldn't resolve error at 'netvmini_Mask 0x8'.

    Anybody know the command for debugging netvmini.sys let me know ?!

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009
  9. Skybuck Flying

    tsperling Guest

    Sleeping is for amateurs - night time, at least!

    (Don't you think perhaps that driver needs to be 'signed'?)

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Aug 9, 2009
  10. Ok,

    A "so-called-expert" at a web forum mentions "debugview".

    This is not an option of WinDbg... nooooo...

    This is a special tool available from Microsoft.

    And apperently it can capture all the DbgPrint stuff... and that's exactly
    what I want for now ?!

    And you don't even need to computers for it...

    Maybe you don't even need WinDbg for it ?! ;)

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647.aspx

    Well it's a bit late now... so I will have to try this tomorrow.

    I got a stinky finger too and it needs a washing LOL. BAH LOL.

    Bye,
    Skybuck ;) =D

    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009
  11. Well I gotta try out this DebugView first...

    I can't go to bed with false hope...

    I must known for sure if it works or does not work...

    Otherwise my magic brain would be deceived during it's sleep ! ;)

    DONT LET ME DOWN DEBUGVIEW PLS OK ? ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck ;) :)

    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009
  12. I had a feeling it wasn't gonna work...

    It would be to good to be true.

    I tried DebugView on X64 Pro which is in normal mode.

    That didn't work.

    I tried connect but network not yet properly configured to connect to
    Windows 7.

    So I decided to copy DebugView to Windows 7 to see if it would work there.

    No word about windows 7 support for it but I tried anyway.

    As soon as I click capture kernal it gives an error on Windows 7:

    "Could not extract DebugView driver to:
    C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\Dbgv.sys: Access is denied.

    Kernel debug output capture will be unavailable.
    "

    So much for that.

    I could try rebooting X64 pro in debug mode but I will definetly
    do that tomorrow because rebooting gonna take ages.

    I will try one more thing and that is the connect option.

    But for that I first need to go wash my finger ! ;)

    Otherwise my keyboard is gonna get stinky.

    I can't configure my network with 1.8 hands...

    I need 2.0 hands for it.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009
  13. Another fine waste of time.

    Apperently DebugView cannot work over VM connections ?

    I tried it it says it's on the local machine and that's it...

    The only thing it does is make a nice error beep sound.

    From the looks of it it's pretty ridicilous how much trouble I have to go
    through to just get a few lines of text output ?!

    Is this Microsoft's conspiracy of wasting my time ?

    One must wonder about that.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009
  14. Hmm this is kinda odd... I was under the impression that the network between
    host and guest was working...

    But at the same time I thought something weird was going on so I decided to
    do a little connection test...

    And indeed something weird is going on...

    Only one side can connect with the other side not vice versa...

    Gotta resolve this first before I dismiss DebugView's connect stuff ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009
  15. Ok, network issue is now supposedly fixed.

    Trying DebugView from XP to Windows 7 doesn't work.

    It doesn't connect. Why it doesn't work is hard to say.

    The firewall is down (which was also a problem).

    Maybe Windows 7 is protected.

    However I did read something about DebugView and getting it working on
    Windows 7:

    Run it as Administrator... (special command from file menu).

    Then it works and error is gone.

    So if all goes well I should now be able to run DebugView on Windows 7 X64
    Ultimate...

    And get some debugging information from the driver...

    But for this I have to now restart into debug mode... which it is already
    in...

    But now I need to disable the driver signing again...

    And hopefully then "the magic happens" :)

    Bye,
    Skybuck =D
    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009
  16. Rebooted...

    Still nothing getting logged.

    Nothing being displayed in DebugView ?!?

    So it seems not to work...

    What a big surprise.

    I already wasted lik 8 hours trying to get a fucking logger going.

    What's the big deal really ?

    What's wrong with

    WriteToFile( vFile, 'blablablabla' );

    I would be done already !

    HAHA what a joke !

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009
  17. Wow I was examining the network settings in Windows 7...

    And exploring "Home groups"...

    Not sure if that has anything to with it...

    And then suddenly DebugView started recording something ?!?

    Or maybe it was just some lag and it needed some time...

    Now I saved the first log...

    Now I try to convert it to text so I can copy paste it here so you guys can
    look at it too ! ;) :)

    Fortunately... not 8 hours completely wasted lol.

    Bye,
    Skybuck.
    Skybuck Flying, Aug 9, 2009
  18. Skybuck Flying

    Don Burn Guest

    You might have read the documentation before complaining as many times as
    you did. To use Windbg to get the messages you need two things. First it
    must be a remote debugger, using two machines connected by serial, 1394 or
    (rarely USB). Second you have to enable the debug messages since they are
    disabled by default. See http://www.osronline.com/article.cfm?id=295 for a
    good explanation of how to do this.

    Note: you need to do this for DebugView also which will work on a single
    machine, but debugging a driver that way is really a poor idea, since you
    will have no breakpoints nor the ability to look at variables, etc. Get two
    machines and do it right.

    --
    Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
    Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4319 (20090809) __________

    http://www.eset.com
    Don Burn, Aug 9, 2009
  19. I took all the necessary steps as described by some tutorials... the mostly
    describe how to connect and set things up and that's it.

    What I don't understand is that it appears there is some lag before the
    messages arrive at the debugview ?

    And sometimes it doesn't seem to work...

    But that might be because of buggy driver or maybe not ?

    Do you have any experience with it ?

    What would be a better way to debug a driver ?

    Can you give an example of how to look at a variable ?

    Or how to set a breakpoint at some driver source line ?

    I guess you mean source-debugging and this would require a correct source
    setup with windbg ? ;)

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Aug 10, 2009
  20. Skybuck Flying

    Don Burn Guest

    DebugView gets a buffer full of messages before it displays them so yes
    there is lag by design. You should be debugging with 2 machines or 2
    virtual machines and Windbg. If you use the WinDBG GUI interface it is
    easy to view a variable, stop at a breakpoint and the locals window has all
    the local vars, and you can look at globals from either the command window
    or from the watch window.

    --

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4320 (20090809) __________

    http://www.eset.com