    other computer to be connected to my network still there are like 5 to 6
    intruders always using my internet connection and consuming my bandwidth. any
    suggestions...

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxp?=, Mar 10, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QWxp?=

    James Gockel Guest

    I can set up a wep key, on an adhoc. When setting up the adhoc connection
    uncheck "key is provided for me", and you can set your own.

    -James G.

    James Gockel, Mar 10, 2006

  3. yea i tried that before but its not working either, has it got something to
    do with my specific wireless card. if so is it possible to use some alternate
    tools, i tried WiFi manager but it also works for infrastructures only, and
    last thing i wanna do is get into fight my neighbours :)

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxp?=, Mar 10, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QWxp?=

    Lem Guest

    Ali wrote:

    > yea i tried that before but its not working either, has it got something to
    > do with my specific wireless card. if so is it possible to use some alternate
    > tools, i tried WiFi manager but it also works for infrastructures only, and
    > last thing i wanna do is get into fight my neighbours :)
    >
    > "Ali" wrote:
    >
    > > i am currently sharing my internet connection by setting up-wireless adhoc
    > > network. My concern is that i am not able to limit the access to my computer
    > > cuz WEP seems to work in infrastructure networks only and not for ad-hoc
    > > networks. is there an alternate way to secure the network. I require only one
    > > other computer to be connected to my network still there are like 5 to 6
    > > intruders always using my internet connection and consuming my bandwidth. any
    > > suggestions...

    You've discovered why ad hoc wireless networking is not such a great idea.

    WEP should be available in ad hoc mode. What make/model of WiFi card are you
    using? What XP service pack?

    Lem, Mar 10, 2006
  5. well im using SP2 and wireless card is sitecom WL-112

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxp?=, Mar 10, 2006
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QWxp?=

    Lem Guest

    Ali wrote:
    > well im using SP2 and wireless card is sitecom WL-112
    >
    > "Lem" wrote:
    >

    >>Ali wrote:
    >>

    >>>yea i tried that before but its not working either, has it got something to
    >>>do with my specific wireless card. if so is it possible to use some alternate
    >>>tools, i tried WiFi manager but it also works for infrastructures only, and
    >>>last thing i wanna do is get into fight my neighbours :)

    >>You've discovered why ad hoc wireless networking is not such a great idea.
    >>
    >>WEP should be available in ad hoc mode. What make/model of WiFi card are you
    >>using? What XP service pack?

    The Sitecom WL-112 should be capable of WEP in ad hoc mode. What
    happens when you try to enable it? Are you using the Sitecom
    configuration utility or are you letting Windows do it? Do you have a
    WL-112 in both computers? Is WEP turned on in both, using the same key?

    Lem, Mar 11, 2006
  7. well i finally managed to work things out. i even completely unistalled my
    network and recreated WEP enabled adhoc network with new SSID still the new
    network was not showing up while the old one was visible. then after maybe 6
    hours suddenly out of no where, the newer up popped up. still cudnt
    understand this whole thingy, what went wrong and what went right :S
    anyways, thanx alot Lem and James, u've been really helpful

    cheers
    ali

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxp?=, Mar 11, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?QWxp?=

    James Gockel Guest

    I dont know but it could sound like a bad card... you may want to think
    about replacing the card with something newer?
    Just a thought. Linksys cards are getting pretty cheap i've seen.
    -James G.

    James Gockel, Mar 11, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?QWxp?=

    Guest

    Hi,
    If you use a old card, try to use a VPN.
    Specially the OpenVPN solution: www.openvpn.net. I's a open source
    project with strong enc. , stable, easy to configure and implement a
    layer 2 bridge (good for netbios). Thanks Caapsoft

    James Gockel wrote:
    > I dont know but it could sound like a bad card... you may want to think
    > about replacing the card with something newer?
    > Just a thought. Linksys cards are getting pretty cheap i've seen.
    > -James G.
    >
    > "Ali" <> wrote in message
    > > well i finally managed to work things out. i even completely unistalled my
    > > network and recreated WEP enabled adhoc network with new SSID still the
    > > new
    > > network was not showing up while the old one was visible. then after maybe
    > > 6
    > > hours suddenly out of no where, the newer up popped up. still cudnt
    > > understand this whole thingy, what went wrong and what went right :S
    > > anyways, thanx alot Lem and James, u've been really helpful
    > >
    > > cheers
    > > ali

    , Mar 14, 2006