    Does someone know what steps must be taken in Asterisk and on the
    Linksys to secure access to the Linksys box?

    Thank you.

    Vincent Delporte, Nov 20, 2006

  2. Vincent Delporte wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > I successfully hooked up a Linksys 3102 SIP gateway
    > (http://www.voip-info.org/users/683/21683/images/716/SPA3102_lrg.jpg)
    > to an Asterisk server, but since it's connected to a PSTN line, I must
    > make sure it cannot be used by unauthorized users from the Net.
    > Actually, even legit users with an account on the Asterisk server
    > shouldn't be able to use it (outgoing calls should go through a VoIP
    > provider instead).
    >
    > Does someone know what steps must be taken in Asterisk and on the
    > Linksys to secure access to the Linksys box?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Have you set it up as its own trunk in Asterisk?

    Jonathan

    PS-- is this 'plain vanilla' Asterisk or TrixBox/freepbx?

    Jonathan Roberts, Nov 21, 2006

  3. "Vincent Delporte" <> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > I successfully hooked up a Linksys 3102 SIP gateway
    > (http://www.voip-info.org/users/683/21683/images/716/SPA3102_lrg.jpg)
    > to an Asterisk server, but since it's connected to a PSTN line, I must
    > make sure it cannot be used by unauthorized users from the Net.
    > Actually, even legit users with an account on the Asterisk server
    > shouldn't be able to use it (outgoing calls should go through a VoIP
    > provider instead).
    >
    > Does someone know what steps must be taken in Asterisk and on the
    > Linksys to secure access to the Linksys box?

    It's very easy to prevent outgoing calls initiated by Asterisk: just don't
    put anywhere in the dialplan a "Dial()" statement referencing the 3102 (or
    if you do, don't make the context where it occurs accessible by regular
    users).

    If you worry about direct SIP sessions from SIP clients to the 3101, you
    might register the 3102 to an Asterisk account and set "Make Call Without
    Reg:" to "No" in the "PSTN Line" screen.

    Or, if nobody should be authorized to dial out, just disable the
    "VoIP-to-PSTN" function. In the SPA-3100 you can set the "VoIP-To-PSTN
    Gateway Enable:" to "No" in the same "PSTN Line" screen: the 3102 should be
    similar.

    Enzo

    Enzo Michelangeli, Nov 21, 2006
  4. On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:25:08 -0600, Jonathan Roberts
    <> wrote:
    >Have you set it up as its own trunk in Asterisk?

    No idea :) I just added an account for this device in sip.conf.

    >PS-- is this 'plain vanilla' Asterisk or TrixBox/freepbx?

    plain vanilla (with hot fudge on top, I confess).

    Vincent Delporte, Nov 21, 2006
  5. Vincent Delporte wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 18:25:08 -0600, Jonathan Roberts
    > <> wrote:
    >> Have you set it up as its own trunk in Asterisk?

    > No idea :) I just added an account for this device in sip.conf.
    >
    >> PS-- is this 'plain vanilla' Asterisk or TrixBox/freepbx?

    > plain vanilla (with hot fudge on top, I confess).

    Looks like Enzo got to you first :) Good luck!

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Roberts, Nov 21, 2006
  6. On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:26:03 +0800, "Enzo Michelangeli"
    <-ip.com> wrote:
    (snip)

    Thanks a lot :) I'll check those three points.

    Vincent Delporte, Nov 21, 2006