    Is there a way to save streaming wmv? In MP6.4 I tried to save a
    video clip but there is only a 1kb asx file and no sign of a video
    file anywhere on the hard drive.

    Sue M, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Sue M

    Chris Hope Guest

    Sue M wrote:

    > Is there a way to save streaming wmv?  In MP6.4 I tried to save a
    > video clip but there is only a 1kb asx file and no sign of a video
    > file anywhere on the hard drive.

    There are various different apps you can buy to do this. I haven't seen any
    that you can get for free but they may well be.

    Two popular ones are at WMRecorder.com & www.hidownload.com

    I have a very basic tutorial at the following address which shows how to use
    HiDownload to capture video and audio.

    http://www.electrictoolbox.com/arti...ad-capture-streaming-media/save-audio-stream/

    If the link above is broken you can use the following tinyurl one instead:
    http://tinyurl.com/3r7qj

    Chris Hope, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Sue M

    Toxickiwi Guest

    Check out this page for all the info you need on saving streaming
    media..

    http://pub25.ezboard.com/bstreemeboxvcr

    All the software you should need ->
    http://p084.ezboard.com/fstreemeboxvcrfrm7.showMessage?topicID=1.topic

    I use StreamBox VCR Suite 2.0 you can get it from
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_capture_tools/streambox_vcr_suite.cfm

    and

    ASFRecorder 1.1 you can get it from
    http://dummy.linux.net.cn/~yaan2/index.orig.htm

    Toxickiwi, Oct 26, 2004
  4. Sue M

    Sue M Guest

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:49:24 GMT, Toxickiwi <> wrote:

    >Check out this page for all the info you need on saving streaming
    >media..
    >
    >http://pub25.ezboard.com/bstreemeboxvcr
    >
    >All the software you should need ->
    >http://p084.ezboard.com/fstreemeboxvcrfrm7.showMessage?topicID=1.topic
    >
    >I use StreamBox VCR Suite 2.0 you can get it from
    >http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_capture_tools/streambox_vcr_suite.cfm
    >
    >and
    >
    >ASFRecorder 1.1 you can get it from
    >http://dummy.linux.net.cn/~yaan2/index.orig.htm
    >

    >On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:36:21 +1300, Sue M <> wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a way to save streaming wmv? In MP6.4 I tried to save a
    >>video clip but there is only a 1kb asx file and no sign of a video
    >>file anywhere on the hard drive.

    I have tried two freebies, Getasfstream and Hinetrecorder. Both
    crashed when I tried to use them. I will check out the other links.
    For a one-off I didn't want to pay for one. Thanks anyway.

    Sue M, Oct 26, 2004
  5. Sue M

    ***** Guest

    "Sue M" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 07:49:24 GMT, Toxickiwi <> wrote:

    > I have tried two freebies, Getasfstream and Hinetrecorder. Both
    > crashed when I tried to use them. I will check out the other links.
    > For a one-off I didn't want to pay for one. Thanks anyway.

    You could try Net Transport.

    Last freeware version can be found at...

    http://freeware.web2001.cz/download/NT187.zip

    *****, Oct 26, 2004
  6. Sue M

    Toxickiwi Guest

    What is the URL for the stream?

    Toxickiwi, Oct 26, 2004
  7. Sue M

    Chris Guest

    DownloadStudio downloads wmv, wvx, asx, asf wma, wax files. Also has
    a video capture tool that lets you capture videos as they play in your
    browser/media player.

    Chris.

    Chris, Oct 27, 2004
  8. Sue M

    Sue M Guest

    On 26 Oct 2004 23:44:06 -0700, (Chris) wrote:

    >DownloadStudio downloads wmv, wvx, asx, asf wma, wax files. Also has
    >a video capture tool that lets you capture videos as they play in your
    >browser/media player.
    >
    >Chris.

    How do these programs work when trying to capture streaming video on
    diap-up? Video playback is pretty stop/start, would the capture be
    the same? I don't know why so many organisations make their video and
    audio clips streaming only and not downloadable which would reduce
    bandwidth demands.

    Thanks for the help everyone but I gave up after trying unsuccessfully
    with a number of freebie programs and deleted the url. It wasn't that
    important. I did use an old version of Streambox VCR Suite to capture
    a Realaudio stream a year or two ago but not successful with free
    utilities to capture streaming wmv.

    Sue M, Oct 27, 2004
  9. Sue M

    Chris Hope Guest

    Sue M wrote:

    > On 26 Oct 2004 23:44:06 -0700, (Chris) wrote:
    >
    >>DownloadStudio downloads wmv, wvx, asx, asf wma, wax files. Also has
    >>a video capture tool that lets you capture videos as they play in your
    >>browser/media player.
    >>
    >>Chris.

    > How do these programs work when trying to capture streaming video on
    > diap-up? Video playback is pretty stop/start, would the capture be
    > the same? I don't know why so many organisations make their video and
    > audio clips streaming only and not downloadable which would reduce
    > bandwidth demands.
    >
    > Thanks for the help everyone but I gave up after trying unsuccessfully
    > with a number of freebie programs and deleted the url. It wasn't that
    > important. I did use an old version of Streambox VCR Suite to capture
    > a Realaudio stream a year or two ago but not successful with free
    > utilities to capture streaming wmv.

    The capture *should* be the same regardless of your connection speed.
    Because you are not actually watching it when you capture it, the
    application can assemble the final video in longer then real time eg it
    could take ten minutes to save a five minute video and you should end up
    with a nice five minute video. Although it might have to wait a couple of
    seconds at some point it should presumably just stop recording at that
    point and then resume once the video feed resumes. I'm just speculating
    here though - I've only ever catured video with a 256k or higher
    connection.

    Chris Hope, Oct 27, 2004
  10. Sue M wrote:
    > I don't know why so many organisations make their video and
    > audio clips streaming only and not downloadable which would reduce
    > bandwidth demands.

    how so? same amount of data, just differing lengths of time.
    change the buffering settings on the playback software.

    personally I have mine set to buffer the whole thing, then play.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 27, 2004