    to the group.

    thanks,

    -Steve

    Steve Richter, May 20, 2005

  2. Steve Richter

    Uli Link Guest

    Steve Richter schrieb:

    > ( I am ready for round 2 of my battle with port forwarding on the cisco
    > 831 soho router. )
    >
    > I read I can use tftp somehow to save and list the entire config. What
    > are the steps I run to do that? I would like to post my entire config
    > to the group.
    >
    > thanks,
    >
    > -Steve

    1.) login
    2.) enable
    3.) copy running-config tftp:
    4.) you'll be asked for ip address of the tftp server and a filename on
    the tftp server, provide an ip address and take over the default value
    for the remote filename and hit enter.

    --
    Uli

    Uli Link, May 20, 2005

  3. In article <428e030a$0$25680$-online.net>,
    Uli Link <> wrote:
    :Steve Richter schrieb:

    :> ( I am ready for round 2 of my battle with port forwarding on the cisco
    :> 831 soho router. )

    :> I read I can use tftp somehow to save and list the entire config. What
    :> are the steps I run to do that? I would like to post my entire config
    :> to the group.

    :4.) you'll be asked for ip address of the tftp server and a filename on
    :the tftp server, provide an ip address and take over the default value
    :for the remote filename and hit enter.

    5.) Take a copy of the uploaded file, and edit it to remove the
    enable passwords and secrets, all user passwords, all isakmp keys,
    and any other sensitive information. You may also wish to obscure your
    public IP addresses. Do not post the original file: post only the
    'sanitized' version. Assume that any encrypted value in the configuration
    file that is left there and posted -will- be decrypted by someone.
    --
    'ignorandus (Latin): "deserving not to be known"'
    -- Journal of Self-Referentialism

    Walter Roberson, May 20, 2005
  4. Steve Richter

    Juan Carlos Guest

    more easy.

    in Hyperterminal, put the "show run" command and select the output and
    "copy"

    Paste in Wordpad.....no in notepad.

    Regards
    Juan Carlos

    Juan Carlos, May 20, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    Juan Carlos <> wrote:
    :more easy.

    :in Hyperterminal, put the "show run" command and select the output and
    :"copy"

    That will not save the -entire- configuration. "show run" deliberately
    obscures some items such as isakmp keys (at least it does on the PIX.)
    tftp will get you the exact configuration.
    --
    "[...] it's all part of one's right to be publicly stupid." -- Dave Smey

    Walter Roberson, May 20, 2005
  6. Juan Carlos wrote:
    > more easy.
    >
    > in Hyperterminal, put the "show run" command and select the output

    and
    > "copy"

    in Hyperterminal the show run output stops at the end of the page and
    displays "--- more ---". then I have to press enter one line at a
    time.

    any way to get the output to not stop after the page is full?

    thanks,

    -Steve

    Steve Richter, May 20, 2005
  7. Uli Link wrote:
    > Steve Richter schrieb:
    >
    > > ( I am ready for round 2 of my battle with port forwarding on the

    cisco
    > > 831 soho router. )
    > >
    > > I read I can use tftp somehow to save and list the entire config.

    What
    > > are the steps I run to do that? I would like to post my entire

    config
    > > to the group.
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > >
    > > -Steve
    > >

    > 1.) login
    > 2.) enable
    > 3.) copy running-config tftp:
    > 4.) you'll be asked for ip address of the tftp server and a filename

    on
    > the tftp server, provide an ip address and take over the default

    value
    > for the remote filename and hit enter.
    >
    > --
    > Uli

    thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for.

    now the next problem ... :)

    In windows 2000, there is no tftp server. I found this code from
    someone who has the same requirements as me:
    http://www.c-sharpcorner.com//Code/2004/July/TFTPTest.asp

    "...This application is the beginning of a program I want to use to
    download switch/router configuration files via TFTP and archive them.
    This application merely asks for an IP address and a filename then it
    receives the file via TFTP and displays it in a RichTextBox. ..."

    "...I searched all over the web for a TFTP application written in C#
    but could find none 'freely' available, and was not about to spend
    $400 to get a control. I came up with the following app which does what
    I need so I figured I would share it. I am not a professional
    programmer, I am a network engineer so if some of the code is ugly
    then.... J . This app is the beginning of a program I want to use to
    download switch/router config files via TFTP and archive them. This App
    merely asks for an IP address and a filename then it receives the file
    via TFTP and displays it in a RichTextBox. ..."

    I am just starting to work with this person's code. My first question
    is that if the cisco 831 wants a tftp server and file name and this
    program also wants a server and file name, how will the two work
    together?

    Can the cisco function as the tftp server, in effect tftp'ing the
    config to itself? Then this program comes along and receives the
    config file from the cisco tftp server?

    thanks,

    -Steve

    Steve Richter, May 20, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    Steve Richter <> wrote:
    :now the next problem ... :)

    :In windows 2000, there is no tftp server.

    solarwinds or KiwiCatTools http://www.kiwisyslog.com/cattools2.htm
    or install one of the several unix-like environments for windows
    (such as AT&T's UWin, amongst others.)
    --
    Are we *there* yet??

    Walter Roberson, May 20, 2005
  9. Walter Roberson wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Steve Richter <> wrote:
    > :now the next problem ... :)
    >
    > :In windows 2000, there is no tftp server.
    >
    > solarwinds or KiwiCatTools http://www.kiwisyslog.com/cattools2.htm
    > or install one of the several unix-like environments for windows
    > (such as AT&T's UWin, amongst others.)
    > --
    > Are we *there* yet??

    got it! ( big grin ). the kiwi tools work great. No time to celebrate
    ..... onto the next item.

    -Steve

    Steve Richter, May 20, 2005
  10. Steve Richter

    Guest

    term len n

    Sets the 'page' length, setting n to zero disables paging.

    I like

    http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

    I think that cisco now suggest it, however it has been around for
    years.

    60-100k .exe, no install. no magic. Just works.

    , May 21, 2005
  11. Steve Richter

    Uli Link Guest

    schrieb:

    > I like
    >
    > http://tftpd32.jounin.net/

    > 60-100k .exe, no install. no magic. Just works.

    Yep. I like the Browse directory feature.

    I have different tftp root directories, for keeping it tidy. Just change
    to the right directory before starting the tftp transfer.

    --
    Uli

    Uli Link, May 21, 2005