    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can achieve this please?

    Many thanks.

    Ian Edmont.

    Ian Edmont, Jun 23, 2006

  2. Ian Edmont

    beenthere Guest

    "Ian Edmont" <> wrote in message
    news:e7h07o$66t$2surf.net...
    > I'm using SyncBack to run periodic backups of my files.
    >
    > The program come with a scheduler built in which uses the standard windows
    > task scheduler.
    >
    > What I would like to do is run an automatic backup everytime the system
    > shuts down but as far as I can see the standard windows task scheduler
    > does
    > not allow this.
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can achieve this please?

    Go to Start\Help, and type in scheduler.
    You want the 3rd item down.

    beenthere, Jun 23, 2006

  3. Ian Edmont

    Vanguard Guest

    "beenthere" <> wrote in message

    > "Ian Edmont" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm using SyncBack to run periodic backups of my files.
    >>
    >> The program come with a scheduler built in which uses the standard
    >> windows
    >> task scheduler.
    >>
    >> What I would like to do is run an automatic backup everytime the
    >> system
    >> shuts down but as far as I can see the standard windows task
    >> scheduler does
    >> not allow this.
    >>

    > Go to Start\Help, and type in scheduler.
    > You want the 3rd item down.

    So how does referring to a help article that mentions what the OP
    already did provide any help? It doesn't. The OP already knows the
    Task Scheduler gets used. The problem is that Task Scheduler does not
    include an option to run events on Windows shutdown or even on logoff.
    You can configure events to run on Windows startup and on logon in Task
    Scheduler but not on logoff or shutdown.

    Vanguard, Jun 23, 2006
  4. Ian Edmont

    Vanguard Guest

    "Ian Edmont" <> wrote in message
    > I'm using SyncBack to run periodic backups of my files.
    >
    > The program come with a scheduler built in which uses the standard
    > windows
    > task scheduler.
    >
    > What I would like to do is run an automatic backup everytime the
    > system
    > shuts down but as far as I can see the standard windows task scheduler
    > does
    > not allow this.

    You could point to a .bat or .cmd file in your logoff script. The
    script(s) will run when you logoff. This is usable since you are
    logging off but Windows is left running (so the tasks ran by the logoff
    script actually have Windows to run under). Trying to run a program on
    shutdown would mean Windows would send notice to the application of the
    shutdown request. Many applications will then stop and unload which
    obviates your intent on running a backup on a shutdown. You would
    shutdown, the backup program loads, but then the backup program unloads
    because, well, you told Windows to shutdown which means it tries to stop
    all running processes.

    If the backup is incremental, and depending on how much you have changed
    since the last Windows session, you could define an event in Task
    Scheduler that run on Windows startup on or logon. This would obvious
    start the backup job when Windows starts up or when you login and
    consume CPU cycles and generate disk accesses during that period which
    could interfere with your immediate use of the computer. You could also
    configure the event in Task Scheduler to run the incremental backup job
    when the computer goes idle for, say, an hour and that it stops if the
    computer becomes non-idle (so the disk activity doesn't interfere with
    your use of your computer).

    There isn't much point in repeatedly power cycling your computer just
    because you happen to be away from it. Schedule the event to run during
    off-hours and leave the computer powered on. There is an option to wake
    the computer for the event so when you power down the computer will
    power back up at that time to run the job, but your computer will not
    power down after the job has completed. Since the computer remains
    powered on after the job completes, the time the computer is powered is
    down is reduced which also reduces the impetus or rational in powering
    down in the first place.

    Vanguard, Jun 23, 2006