    routers can only hook up one computer at a time to the internet via wireless
    signals (is that true?), how do I hook up two computers wirelessly to a modem
    20+ feet away (provided the modem was moved 20+ feet away, to the bedroom)?
    Cymbal Man Freq., Jun 3, 2005

  2. Cymbal Man Freq.

    Lem Guest

    Re: How to run 2 computers wirelessly from 20+ feet away from the walloutlet wirelessly?

    The cable modem needs to be directly connected to the cable. There's no getting
    around that. However, you can connect the cable modem to a wireless router and then
    connect two (or more) computers wirelessly (both to each other and to the Internet
    via the cable modem). Yes, there are potential security issues, but they can be
    dealt with. And it would highly desirable if at least one computer was close enough
    to the wireless router to connect to it via Ethernet cable (most wireless routers
    include several ports for Ethernet connections). Generally it is not recommended
    that a wireless router be configured through a wireless connection.

    See http://www.ezlan.net/#Wireless for much info, including security issues

    Lem, Jun 3, 2005

  3. RE: How to run 2 computers wirelessly from 20+ feet away from the wall

    No, it's not true. You can hook up several wireless computers to access the
    Internet by using a wireless router. The router has to be at the cable modem
    and when you install it, you use a wired ethernet connection to set it up,
    but then you can go wireless and use the latest WPA2 security. Just make sure
    you get a WPA capable router.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyeQ==?=, Jun 3, 2005
  4. Cymbal Man Freq.

    Uncle John Guest

    Re: How to run 2 computers wirelessly from 20+ feet away from the wall

    Cymbal Man

    You have not been advised correctly.

    Get a Wireless Firewall Router and plug your cable modem into it. Fit
    connectors, like D-Link, to the computers and set up your Wireless network.
    All computers on the network can be configured to use the cable network.

    The Netgear Super AG WGU 624 which has a good transmission range and two
    simultaneous wireless streams for streaming to media players etc. You must
    configure the firewall appropriately
    Uncle John

    Uncle John, Jun 4, 2005