how to route IP over a simple x.25 setup

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Tobias Skytte, May 18, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I am trying to set up a leased-line (DSL 64K) connection to one of our
    clients. I have a cisco 1601 in each end and they are configured thus:

    router01 (the client)
    e0 ip: 192.168.22.2
    e0 subnet: 255.255.255.0
    s0 ip: 192.168.21.1
    s0 subnet: 255.255.255.0
    x.25: 5432

    router02 (ourselves)
    e0 ip: 192.168.22.1
    e0 subnet: 255.255.255.0
    s0 ip: 192.168.21.2
    s0 subnet: 255.255.255.0
    x.25: 2345

    The x.25 link is working fine. For example I can from router02 do:
    ping 192.168.21.1 (works)
    but ping 192.168.22.2 does not work.
    Also from router02: ping 192.168.21.2 does not work.

    I can also telnet to the remote router01 from router02.
    and I can telnet from our server to router2 (192.168.22.1) but not to
    192.168.21.2

    Now it seems to me that some routing table somewhere is not set up
    properly, so the question is how to do that (I am inexperienced with
    IOS)?.

    *******************************
    Here is the config of router02:
    *******************************

    ip subnet-zero
    no ip routing
    !
    !
    !
    !
    interface Ethernet0
    ip address 192.168.22.1 255.255.255.0
    no ip route-cache
    no cdp enable
    !
    interface Serial0
    ip address 192.168.21.2 255.255.255.0
    encapsulation x25 dce
    no ip route-cache
    x25 address 2345
    x25 map ip 192.168.21.1 5432 broadcast accept-reverse
    !
    ip classless
    ip route 192.168.10.0 255.255.255.0 Ethernet0
    no ip http server
    !
    snmp-server community nampula RO
    snmp-server enable traps tty
    !

    Also here is output from router02: show ip interface

    Ethernet0 is up, line protocol is up
    Internet address is 192.168.22.1/24
    Broadcast address is 255.255.255.255
    Address determined by setup command
    MTU is 1500 bytes
    Helper address is not set
    Directed broadcast forwarding is disabled
    Outgoing access list is not set
    Inbound access list is not set
    Proxy ARP is enabled
    Security level is default
    Split horizon is enabled
    ICMP redirects are always sent
    ICMP unreachables are always sent
    ICMP mask replies are never sent
    IP fast switching is disabled
    IP fast switching on the same interface is disabled
    IP Null turbo vector
    IP multicast fast switching is disabled
    IP multicast distributed fast switching is disabled
    IP route-cache flags are None
    Router Discovery is disabled
    IP output packet accounting is disabled
    IP access violation accounting is disabled
    TCP/IP header compression is disabled
    RTP/IP header compression is disabled
    Probe proxy name replies are disabled
    Policy routing is disabled
    Network address translation is disabled
    WCCP Redirect outbound is disabled
    WCCP Redirect inbound is disabled
    WCCP Redirect exclude is disabled
    BGP Policy Mapping is disabled
    Serial0 is up, line protocol is up
    Internet address is 192.168.21.2/24
    Broadcast address is 255.255.255.255
    Address determined by non-volatile memory
[...]

    **************************
    and on router02: #show arp
    **************************
    Protocol Address Age (min) Hardware Addr Type Interface
    Internet 192.168.10.1 2 0004.75fe.64a7 ARPA Ethernet0
    Internet 192.168.22.1 - 0050.7343.87a4 ARPA Ethernet0

    The 192.168.10.1 is our server that is connected on the same lan as
    the Ethernet0 interface.

    I tried (on router02) to do:
    #ip routing
    but that killed my telnet session and I had to power-cycle the router
    in order to get back in!

    I think there is probably some simple thing that has to be enabled or
    whatever, but it is difficult to find documentation on the simple
    things! I have trawled cisco's guides and docs etc, and googled and
    found lots of info on complicated stuff but very little info on just
    making a simple link work.

    Please let me know what I can try as I am getting a severe headache!
    Thanks in advance.

    Tobias Skytte

    Tobias Skytte, May 18, 2004

  2. Tobias Skytte

    Chris Guest

    > Please let me know what I can try as I am getting a severe headache!
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Tobias Skytte

    You have IP routing disabled and you also have the same network
    (192.168.22.0/24) on both ends of the link.

    Chris.

    Chris, May 18, 2004