    Sussan
    You may Email me taking off my name from my Email address in the header of
    this posted message.
    S f S, Jul 31, 2003

  2. S f S

    borge Guest

    On 31 Jul 2003 07:03:20 GMT, USSAN (S f S) wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >How do I get rid of data embeded in a JPG file? I see this picture my cousin
    >took with his Sony CYBERSHOT actualy tells you which camera and much more info.
    >How do I just delete the EXIF and other info about the picture or any digital
    >picture???
    >

    >Cheeers,
    > Sussan
    > You may Email me taking off my name from my Email address in the header of
    >this posted message.

    You do need a Hexeditor and some grounding knowledge in using same.
    If you look at the information in IrfanView, you will find the first
    screen of Info just using the name as it is at present and the folder
    plus other bits which is just obtained from the computer itself. When
    you get to the choice called exif, I have actually managed to kill off
    the information there.

    It is situated at the start of the picture information but may of
    course vary from one camera to the next. I overwrote that information
    using just zero's. You can still look at it but it gives no
    information.

    Now I wonder why on earth do you need to get rid of that information
    as it does no harm. It identifies the picture in order that the
    originator may easily claim copyright and that cannot in itself be a
    bad thing.

    Borge
    For your information, my stats are:
    Win 2000, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz
    1 Gb memory,ADSL
    80+40 GB of disc space,Oly C2100 & Optio S
    Borge Pedersen :)
    Perth, Australia
    mailto:
    remove SPAM for email
    borge, Jul 31, 2003

  3. CSM1 wrote:

    > Just edit the picture (resave the *.jpg file) in any Photo editor that is
    > not EXIF compliant. PhotoShop LE which is bundled with many scanners, will
    > not save the EXIF information. Many older Photo Editors are not EXIF
    > compliant.

    Wow. So you take a compression hit on the file just to get rid of the
    EXIF info? There are better ways.

    I would still like to know why the original poster wants to zap the EXIF
    header.
    Andrew McDonald, Jul 31, 2003
  4. S f S

    Patrick L. Guest

    S f S <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > How do I get rid of data embeded in a JPG file? I see this picture my

    cousin
    > took with his Sony CYBERSHOT actualy tells you which camera and much more

    info.
    > How do I just delete the EXIF and other info about the picture or any

    digital
    > picture???
    >

    > Cheeers,
    > Sussan
    > You may Email me taking off my name from my Email address in the header

    of
    > this posted message.

    Open the file in any app, say PSP or PhotoShop, and make an unnoticeable (or
    otherwise) modification to the file, then save it. It will erase the exif
    data.

    Patrick
    Patrick L., Jul 31, 2003
  5. Patrick L. wrote:
    > Open the file in any app, say PSP or PhotoShop, and make an unnoticeable (or
    > otherwise) modification to the file, then save it. It will erase the exif
    > data.

    And will recompress the file, reducing image quality. If you give a
    crap about your JPG files do not perform this unecessary recompress of
    the files.

    Find a program (like Exif Utils) that has an option to delete EXIF info
    from files WITHOUT altering the image or it's compression.
    Andrew McDonald, Jul 31, 2003
  6. Exifer 2.1.5 (and it's free!)

    http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

    Will completely remove thumbnails and all EXIF / IPTC / Maker Note data.

    Just a quick warning to Breeze Browser (latest version 2.7a) users. I
    discovered to my dismay last night that if you use Exifer to add EXIF data
    to files (such as comments, copyright, author, etc) and try to later edit
    the comment in Breeze Browser, you'll get an error message. If you check the
    file after this, you will find that Breeze Browser has destroyed all the
    extra data in the image file (EXIF, maker notes, thumbnails, etc). This
    happened with my EOS 10D JPG files, don't know about other types from other
    cameras.

    Katie Piecrust, Jul 31, 2003
  7. Oh, I forgot to mentioned that while Exifer will delete normally generated
    IPTC info, it will not delete IPTC info that was created in Photoshop 7. You
    won't be able to see the PS generated IPTC info in other programs once
    deleted, but if you load the image in PS you'll see it's still there. You
    can thank Adobe for that. :)

    Katie Piecrust, Jul 31, 2003
  8. S f S

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 20:28:19 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Patrick L."
    <> wrote:

    >Open the file in any app, say PSP or PhotoShop, and make an unnoticeable (or
    >otherwise) modification to the file, then save it. It will erase the exif
    >data.

    Except the most current versions of both preserve at least most of the
    info.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Jul 31, 2003
  9. S f S

    S f S Guest

    In article <UK9Wa.551$>, Andrew McDonald
    <> writes:

    >I would still like to know why the original poster wants to zap the EXIF
    >header.

    A picture was taken late night - early morning, I dont want people should know
    I am so crazy being up so late. I also dont want to let know which camera took
    the picture. I want they should tell me which one is a better picture and
    knowing which camera did it, it might make them choose one camera above
    another. One swears on Sony while the other thinks since its a Canon its much
    better.

    S f S, Aug 1, 2003
  10. S f S

    <> writes:

    >Wow. So you take a compression hit on the file just to get rid of the
    >EXIF info? There are better ways.

    What R the other ways please?

    S f S, Aug 1, 2003
  11. S f S wrote:
    > In article <UK9Wa.551$>, Andrew McDonald
    > <> writes:
    >

    >>Wow. So you take a compression hit on the file just to get rid of the
    >>EXIF info? There are better ways.

    > What R the other ways please?

    There is Exif Utils at http://www.hugsan.com/EXIFutils/

    Or Exifer at http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

    Exif Utils is a command line utility which can be a bit intimidating and
    it costs $14.95.

    Exifer is free and would probably do exactly what you want, modifying a
    couple pictures.
    Andrew McDonald, Aug 1, 2003
  12. S f S

    Patrick L. Guest

    Andrew McDonald <> wrote in message
    > S f S wrote:
    > > In article <UK9Wa.551$>, Andrew

    McDonald
    > > <> writes:
    > >

    > >>Wow. So you take a compression hit on the file just to get rid of the
    > >>EXIF info? There are better ways.

    > > What R the other ways please?

    > There is Exif Utils at http://www.hugsan.com/EXIFutils/
    >
    > Or Exifer at http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/
    >
    > Exif Utils is a command line utility which can be a bit intimidating and
    > it costs $14.95.
    >
    > Exifer is free and would probably do exactly what you want, modifying a
    > couple pictures.

    The PSP shortcut, which you refer as to an unnecessary recompress, when
    setting the "save as" feature to zero compression, does not reduce the file
    size by any significant amount, I sincerely doubt you can tell the
    difference, and for her purpose, I sincerely doubt the matter is so
    critical. Also, the jpeg can be converted to a .tiff, and back to a jpeg
    without loss, and the exif data will be removed.

    Patrick
    Patrick L., Aug 1, 2003
  13. Patrick L. wrote:
    > The PSP shortcut, which you refer as to an unnecessary recompress, when
    > setting the "save as" feature to zero compression, does not reduce the file
    > size by any significant amount, I sincerely doubt you can tell the
    > difference, and for her purpose, I sincerely doubt the matter is so
    > critical. Also, the jpeg can be converted to a .tiff, and back to a jpeg
    > without loss, and the exif data will be removed.

    I disagree compeletely. First of all, the supposed reason for the
    removal of the EXIF info is to compare the quality from two different
    cameras. Therefore any alteration of the original image could make the
    comparison invalid.

    Secondly, even set to "zero" compress you are STILL RECOMPRESSING THE
    FILE. It's not the file size that's important. With the right
    compression settings I can actually make the saved file BIGGER than the
    original file but that does not mean the quality is the same or better.

    As for saving to TIFF and back to JPG you will take a hit on the
    compression, PERIOD. Every time you save a file using JPG you cause
    that file to be recompressed.
    Andrew McDonald, Aug 1, 2003
  14. S f S

    Gene Wilburn Guest

    USSAN (S f S) wrote in message news:<>...

    > How do I get rid of data embeded in a JPG file? I see this picture my cousin
    > took with his Sony CYBERSHOT actualy tells you which camera and much more info.
    > How do I just delete the EXIF and other info about the picture or any digital
    > picture???

    In Photoshop use Save For Web. This strips out all the metadata.
    Irfanview can do this also using Save As and checking off metadata on
    the advanced options.
    Gene Wilburn, Aug 1, 2003
  15. S f S

    S f S Guest

    In article <>,
    (Gene Wilburn) writes:

    >In Photoshop use Save For Web. This strips out all the metadata.
    >Irfanview can do this also using Save As and checking off metadata on
    >the advanced options.

    Thanks!

    S f S, Aug 3, 2003
  16. S f S

    graFXguy

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    exif delete freeware

    Easy, I use this little freeware app:

    Easy Exif Delete (easyexfidelete.com)

    Just search on Google or Download
    graFXguy, Aug 20, 2010
  17. S f S

    Photozaur

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2011
    Messages:
    8
    The EXIFCleaner batch utility for Windows is also very good for this purpose. You can download it at: superutils.com/products/exifcleaner/ It lets to selectively delete EXIF as well as other photo metadata.
    Photozaur, Feb 13, 2011