How to Rip DVD and Convert Video on Mac OS

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dave345, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    This article is composed of the following three parts:
    1. How to rip DVD on Mac
    2. How to convert video on Mac
    3. Three useful tips

    Part 1: How to Rip DVD on Mac

    Want to convert your DVD movies for iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, PSP and a lot more mobile devices on Mac operation system? Wondershare DVD Ripper for Mac is a great solution for Mac OS users who want to convert their DVD to almost all video formats for most popular mobile devices, complete with options to select DVD audio track and subtitle, crop DVD video, trim DVD length, and set video effects and so on. After the program is installed, just follow the steps below to rip DVD to all popular mobile players:

    Step 1: Import DVD Movies

    Click the Load DVD button, select the folder of your DVD movie, and click OK. If the movie is on your disc drive, you can just select the drive and click OK. Or click the Load IFO button, open the folder of your DVD movie, and you will find two folders in it: AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. Open the VIDEO_TS folder, select all the IFO files, and then click OK. After the movie is loaded, you can see all the chapters and titles in it, and then you can check the ones you want to convert. If you want to convert the whole movie, you can just keep all the titles or chapters checked.

    [​IMG]

    Step 2: Output Settings

    After your DVD movie is loaded, you can start to set output settings:
    1. Select an output format from the Format drop-down list. Just select an format according to the device you want to put
    2. Click the Settings button to set encoding settings including video resolution, frame rate, bit rate and video encoder, audio encoding settings including sample rate, channel, bit rate and audio encoder.
    3. Name each title/chapter in the Output Filename field, and select the subtitle and audio track for the titles/chapters.
    Note: You can check the "Merger into one file" option to join all the selected DVD titles/chapters into one file instead of creating a separated file for each title/chapter.

    Step 3: Click the Start button to start the conversion. And all you need to do now is to wait for the conversion to be finished. The remaining time will be shown on conversion window for your reference.

    Part 2: How to Convert Video on Mac

    And you can use Wondershare Video Converter for Mac to convert video files downloaded from the Internet or taken by our digital cameras to iPod, iPhone, Apple TV, PSP, Creative Zen and a lot more mobile players, along with very useful editing functions. It has both a Power PC version and an Intel PC version, and you can just install the right program depending on your CPU. It also fully supports the newest Apple OS X Leopard. After the program is installed, just follow the steps below to convert video to all mobile players:

    Step 1: Add Video files

    Click the Add button, and the program will let you browse your computer hard drive. Select the video files you want to convert and click OK.

    [​IMG]

    Step 2: Output Settings

    After adding video files, you can start to set output settings for each file:
    1. Select an output format from the Format drop-down list. Just select an format according to the player which you want to put your videos on.
    2. Click the Settings button to set encoding settings including video resolution, frame rate, bit rate and video encoder, audio encoding settings including sample rate, channel, bit rate and audio encoder.
    3. Click the Browse button to specify an output folder to save the converted files.
    Note 1: If you want to convert all the added files into one format with the same encoding parameters, you can just click the "Apply to All" button.
    Note 2: You can check the "Merger into one file" option to convert all the added video files into a single file.

    Step 3: Click the Start button to start the conversion. And all you need to do now is to wait for the conversion to be finished. The remaining time will be shown on conversion window for your reference.

    Part 3: Three Useful Tips

    Tip 1: Trim Movie

    If you just want to convert a clip from your DVD/Video, you can click the Trim icon to capture a clip. In the Trim window, you can trim the length of the current title/chapter by either dragging the Start Time and End Time sliders or setting the time parameters in each corresponding field.

    Tip 2: Crop Video

    If your DVD movie/video has black sides, you can use this Crop function to remove them. Click the Crop icon to open the Crop window, and set the video crop area by dragging the crop frame or setting the four crop parameters (Top, Bottom, Left and Right).

    Tip 3: Movie Effect

    If you want to change the original video effect, you can click the Effect icon to set the video brightness, contrast, saturation, and even audio volume. You can also choose to apply a special effect to your DVD movie/video from the available effects including Gray, Emboss and Negative.

    dave345, Jan 30, 2008

  2. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    Just chanced upon this site http://mactheripper.tumblr.com
    a good site about how to protect dvd, rip dvd, edit dvd, convert dvd, enhance dvd for mac os (including leopard) users.

    dave345, Feb 13, 2008

  3. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    You won't miss any fabulous DVD movies now. Wondershare DVD Copy for Mac offers you the easiest way to make copies of DVD movies on Mac OS by removing DVD protection mechanisms. You can copy your DVD to either a new DVD disc or save your DVD in a folder on your Mac machine.

    dave345, Feb 28, 2008
  4. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    any free programs available to copy DVD movies on Mac?

    dave345, Mar 17, 2008
  5. dave345

    whoswho

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    Messages:
    24
    there are many conpany have this type software ,xilisoft has this type software too,if you want use it you can click http://www.xilisoft.com/ripper-pack-platinum.html
    all the software in xilisoft you can try out
    if you feel good you can buy it

    whoswho, Mar 18, 2008
  6. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    A few days ago, I wanted to make a copy of the DVD movie I have just bought on my Mac machine and I found a tool named Wondershare DVD Copy for Mac. I only intended to backup my movie, but I found it could also remove DVD protections, LOL, which is great because I could make more copies of my movies. So I got lots of the movies I collected copied onto new DVD discs and removed their protection mechanisms. I would say it is a very easy and fast tool. Well worth a try!

    Here is the home page of this Mac copy tool: http://www.mac-dvd-ripper.com/mac-dvd-copy.html

    It only takes a few easy steps to use it:

    Step 1: Select DVD Source

    [​IMG]

    In the "Select Source" field, select "Select source DVD folder". Then browse your computer hard disc and select your DVD movie (either in a folder or from your DVD ROM).

    Step 2: Select DVD Copy Method

    In the "Select DVD Copy Method" field to select a method to output the selected DVD movie:
    If you want to output your DVD movie to a folder on your hard disc, you can select the "Output DVD Folder" option, and specify a directory to save the copied DVD movie.
    If you want to directly burn your DVD movie to a new DVD disc, you can just select the DVD ROM where you have inserted a blank DVD disc.

    Step 3: Program Settings (Optional)

    [​IMG]

    Set Buffer Directory: Select a folder on a hard disc that has relatively big free space to store the temporary files.

    Select Language: Select an interface language for the program.

    Step 4: Start Copying DVD

    Click the Start button to start copying your DVD movie and/or burning it to a new DVD disc.

    If you are copying a DVD disc from your DVD ROM to a new DVD disc, you will be asked to insert a blank DVD disc. If so, you can just take the original DVD disc out and insert a blank DVD disc.

    dave345, Mar 20, 2008
  7. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    dave345, Mar 27, 2008
  8. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    Can anyone recommend several free and challenging games run on Leopard to me?
    The link to them would be appreciated!
    TIA

    dave345, Apr 3, 2008
  9. dave345

    dave345

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2007
    Messages:
    60
    dave345, Apr 18, 2008
  10. dave345

    Inca

    Joined:
    May 26, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    I use DVD Decrypter (freeware) to rip it to my hardrive and use Nero Recode to burn flawless copies. It works really great with dual layer DVDs.

    Inca, Jun 5, 2008
  11. dave345

    tinag

    Joined: