how to retrieve photos from .doc format?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by *alan*, Sep 30, 2007.

  1. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    A friend of mine (for reasons best known to him) was saving photos in .doc
    format in MS Word. Realising the error of his ways, he now wants to just
    save them as regular .jpg in a folder, but he's having problems.
    I thought it would have been a pretty simple procedure, but he sent me one
    of his docs and I'm having the same problems he'd described to me:
    About half the time a simple copy, then paste into a folder produces the
    desired .jpg ---- the other half the time, the "paste" operation results in
    the production of something called a "scrap" which, when opened, produces
    the image as if it were still in MS Word, i.e. with all the MS Word
    toolbars, etc.
    A copy, then paste into Irfanview produces a .jpg, but with weird color
    distortion.
    Is there a simple, easy (or even somewhat roundabout) way to consistently
    retrieve photos from doc format and convert them to jpg? (He says that all
    the photos he's saved in MS Word were originally jpg's).
    He's using Windows ME, but I'm using XP Pro SP2, with the same results.
    Thanks for your advice.
    --
    alan
    *alan*, Sep 30, 2007

  2. *alan*

    pcbutts1 Guest

    According to this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138275 you can drag the
    scrap file into irfanview. The image could be imbedded into word. You can
    also just copy it to the clipboard and paste into paint.

    pcbutts1, Sep 30, 2007

  3. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    Dragging and dropping the "scrap" into Irfanview doesn't work (from that
    article it looks like a "scrap" can only be dragged and dropped into another
    MS word doc).
    In any case, I found I could copy and paste the scrap into Irfanview and,
    while there was no color distortion, there were nevertheless a few
    imperfections --- a couple horizontal black lines and a couple red spots ---
    very strange.
    Copying and pasting the scrap into Paint produced the same flaws . . .
    Looks like I'll just have to advise my friend to copy and paste to desktop
    or folder as he had been doing and be happy with the 50% success rate. (He
    and I have noticed that if it doesn't work one time, it may work on the 3rd
    or 4th try --- and there seems to be no discernible pattern to successes or
    failures . . . . )

    "pcbutts1" wrote

    *alan*, Oct 1, 2007
  4. "*alan*" <> wrote in

    > A friend of mine (for reasons best known to him) was saving photos
    > in .doc format in MS Word. Realising the error of his ways, he
    > now wants to just save them as regular .jpg in a folder, but he's
    > having problems. I thought it would have been a pretty simple
    > procedure, but he sent me one of his docs and I'm having the same
    > problems he'd described to me: About half the time a simple copy,
    > then paste into a folder produces the desired .jpg ---- the other
    > half the time, the "paste" operation results in the production of
    > something called a "scrap" which, when opened, produces the image
    > as if it were still in MS Word, i.e. with all the MS Word
    > toolbars, etc. A copy, then paste into Irfanview produces a .jpg,
    > but with weird color distortion.
    > Is there a simple, easy (or even somewhat roundabout) way to
    > consistently retrieve photos from doc format and convert them to
    > jpg? (He says that all the photos he's saved in MS Word were
    > originally jpg's). He's using Windows ME, but I'm using XP Pro
    > SP2, with the same results. Thanks for your advice.
    > --
    > alan

    I've seen this problem. This is how I get around it....

    1) Copy the picture out of Microsoft Word (Right-Click, Copy).
    2) Paste it into Microsoft Powerpoint.
    3) After pasting into Powerpoint, Right-click on the photo and select
    "Save as Picture" and give it a filename.

    HTH,
    John
    John Wunderlich, Oct 1, 2007
  5. *alan*

    William Guest

    On 30 Sep, 18:54, "*alan*" <> wrote:
    > A friend of mine (for reasons best known to him) was saving photos in .doc
    > format in MS Word. Realising the error of his ways, he now wants to just
    > save them as regular .jpg in a folder, but he's having problems.
    > I thought it would have been a pretty simple procedure, but he sent me one
    > of his docs and I'm having the same problems he'd described to me:
    > About half the time a simple copy, then paste into a folder produces the
    > desired .jpg ---- the other half the time, the "paste" operation results in
    > the production of something called a "scrap" which, when opened, produces
    > the image as if it were still in MS Word, i.e. with all the MS Word
    > toolbars, etc.
    > A copy, then paste into Irfanview produces a .jpg, but with weird color
    > distortion.
    > Is there a simple, easy (or even somewhat roundabout) way to consistently
    > retrieve photos from doc format and convert them to jpg? (He says that all
    > the photos he's saved in MS Word were originally jpg's).
    > He's using Windows ME, but I'm using XP Pro SP2, with the same results.
    > Thanks for your advice.

    Save the document as a "Web page" or "HTML format" (depends which
    version of Word you are using)

    After saving the file, you should have a new sub-folder called
    <document>_files
    In that folder, there will be at least one JPG for each picture in the
    original document.

    --
    WH
    William, Oct 1, 2007
  6. *alan*

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 00:12:06 GMT, John Wunderlich
    <> wrote:
    >I've seen this problem. This is how I get around it....
    >
    >1) Copy the picture out of Microsoft Word (Right-Click, Copy).

    The simply open MSPAINT or other image editor, press Ctrl+v i.e.
    Paste, then save the image as deisred.

    gb
    Gaius Baltar, Oct 1, 2007
  7. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    "John Wunderlich" <> wrote in message
    > "*alan*" <> wrote in
    >
    >> A friend of mine (for reasons best known to him) was saving photos
    >> in .doc format in MS Word. Realising the error of his ways, he
    >> now wants to just save them as regular .jpg in a folder, but he's
    >> having problems. I thought it would have been a pretty simple
    >> procedure, but he sent me one of his docs and I'm having the same
    >> problems he'd described to me: About half the time a simple copy,
    >> then paste into a folder produces the desired .jpg ---- the other
    >> half the time, the "paste" operation results in the production of
    >> something called a "scrap" which, when opened, produces the image
    >> as if it were still in MS Word, i.e. with all the MS Word
    >> toolbars, etc. A copy, then paste into Irfanview produces a .jpg,
    >> but with weird color distortion.
    >> Is there a simple, easy (or even somewhat roundabout) way to
    >> consistently retrieve photos from doc format and convert them to
    >> jpg? (He says that all the photos he's saved in MS Word were
    >> originally jpg's). He's using Windows ME, but I'm using XP Pro
    >> SP2, with the same results. Thanks for your advice.
    >> --
    >> alan
    >>

    > I've seen this problem. This is how I get around it....
    >
    > 1) Copy the picture out of Microsoft Word (Right-Click, Copy).
    > 2) Paste it into Microsoft Powerpoint.
    > 3) After pasting into Powerpoint, Right-click on the photo and select
    > "Save as Picture" and give it a filename.
    >
    > HTH,
    > John

    Thank you --- that seems to be working.
    --
    alan
    *alan*, Oct 1, 2007
  8. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    "William" <> wrote in message
    > On 30 Sep, 18:54, "*alan*" <> wrote:
    >> A friend of mine (for reasons best known to him) was saving photos in
    >> .doc
    >> format in MS Word. Realising the error of his ways, he now wants to just
    >> save them as regular .jpg in a folder, but he's having problems.
    >> I thought it would have been a pretty simple procedure, but he sent me
    >> one
    >> of his docs and I'm having the same problems he'd described to me:
    >> About half the time a simple copy, then paste into a folder produces the
    >> desired .jpg ---- the other half the time, the "paste" operation results
    >> in
    >> the production of something called a "scrap" which, when opened, produces
    >> the image as if it were still in MS Word, i.e. with all the MS Word
    >> toolbars, etc.
    >> A copy, then paste into Irfanview produces a .jpg, but with weird color
    >> distortion.
    >> Is there a simple, easy (or even somewhat roundabout) way to consistently
    >> retrieve photos from doc format and convert them to jpg? (He says that
    >> all
    >> the photos he's saved in MS Word were originally jpg's).
    >> He's using Windows ME, but I'm using XP Pro SP2, with the same results.
    >> Thanks for your advice.

    > Save the document as a "Web page" or "HTML format" (depends which
    > version of Word you are using)
    >
    > After saving the file, you should have a new sub-folder called
    > <document>_files
    > In that folder, there will be at least one JPG for each picture in the
    > original document.
    >
    > --
    > WH

    Thanks -- that would seem to be the easiest solution. And it was easy enough
    saving the doc as "Webpage" .. . . . BUT . . . where do I find that new
    subfolder <document>_files you're talking about? (a file search turned up
    nothing). Thanks again for your advice.
    --
    alan
    *alan*, Oct 1, 2007
  9. *alan*

    *alan* Guest

    "*alan*" <> wrote in message

    > "William" <> wrote in message
    >> On 30 Sep, 18:54, "*alan*" <> wrote:
    >>> A friend of mine (for reasons best known to him) was saving photos in
    >>> .doc
    >>> format in MS Word. Realising the error of his ways, he now wants to
    >>> just
    >>> save them as regular .jpg in a folder, but he's having problems.
    >>> I thought it would have been a pretty simple procedure, but he sent me
    >>> one
    >>> of his docs and I'm having the same problems he'd described to me:
    >>> About half the time a simple copy, then paste into a folder produces the
    >>> desired .jpg ---- the other half the time, the "paste" operation results
    >>> in
    >>> the production of something called a "scrap" which, when opened,
    >>> produces
    >>> the image as if it were still in MS Word, i.e. with all the MS Word
    >>> toolbars, etc.
    >>> A copy, then paste into Irfanview produces a .jpg, but with weird color
    >>> distortion.
    >>> Is there a simple, easy (or even somewhat roundabout) way to
    >>> consistently
    >>> retrieve photos from doc format and convert them to jpg? (He says that
    >>> all
    >>> the photos he's saved in MS Word were originally jpg's).
    >>> He's using Windows ME, but I'm using XP Pro SP2, with the same results.
    >>> Thanks for your advice.

    >> Save the document as a "Web page" or "HTML format" (depends which
    >> version of Word you are using)
    >>
    >> After saving the file, you should have a new sub-folder called
    >> <document>_files
    >> In that folder, there will be at least one JPG for each picture in the
    >> original document.
    >>
    >> --
    >> WH

    > Thanks -- that would seem to be the easiest solution. And it was easy
    > enough saving the doc as "Webpage" .. . . . BUT . . . where do I find
    > that new subfolder <document>_files you're talking about? (a file search
    > turned up nothing). Thanks again for your advice.
    > --
    > alan

    Well, DUH ----- I really feel stupid ;-) ----- I just now noticed the
    new folder was right in front of my nose with the name of the doc ----
    TEST_files.
    Thanks again.
    --
    alan
    *alan*, Oct 1, 2007
  10. Gaius Baltar <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 00:12:06 GMT, John Wunderlich
    > <> wrote:
    >> I've seen this problem. This is how I get around it....
    >>
    >> 1) Copy the picture out of Microsoft Word (Right-Click, Copy).

    > The simply open MSPAINT or other image editor, press Ctrl+v i.e.
    > Paste, then save the image as deisred.

    You'd think this should work but it doesn't... doing this results in
    distorted colors. Apparently Microsoft doesn't use standard formats.

    -- John
    John Wunderlich, Oct 1, 2007
  11. *alan*

    Gaius Baltar Guest

    On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 16:34:16 GMT, John Wunderlich
    <> wrote:

    >Gaius Baltar <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 00:12:06 GMT, John Wunderlich
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> I've seen this problem. This is how I get around it....
    >>>
    >>> 1) Copy the picture out of Microsoft Word (Right-Click, Copy).

    >> The simply open MSPAINT or other image editor, press Ctrl+v i.e.
    >> Paste, then save the image as deisred.

    >You'd think this should work but it doesn't... doing this results in
    >distorted colors. Apparently Microsoft doesn't use standard formats.
    >
    >-- John

    If you have a more advance editor such as Paint Shop Pro (even version
    5 which they give away in PC mags etc). it should work properly.

    gb
    Gaius Baltar, Oct 2, 2007