    Ace Hung Guest

    Hi, I use Thunderbird to read the usenet. How do I set it to keep
    (retain) all the postings in my computer?
    Ace Hung, Sep 26, 2007

  2. Ace Hung

    Ace Hung Guest

    Ace Hung wrote:
    > Hi, I use Thunderbird to read the usenet. How do I set it to keep
    > (retain) all the postings in my computer?

    I mean, I click on an older subject and it says click here to remove all
    expired articles.

    This means I have not retained all the postings.
    Ace Hung, Sep 26, 2007

  3. Ace Hung

    chuckcar Guest

    Ace Hung <> wrote in

    > Hi, I use Thunderbird to read the usenet. How do I set it to keep
    > (retain) all the postings in my computer?

    That quite often is based on the server you use to get usenet. I have
    tried (and failed) to do the same thing with xnews - with which you can
    explicitly store headers or (read) articles up to 90 days. I now use
    Hamster which is a full free local nntp server (you run Hamster and then
    point your client to 127.0.0.1 if running on the same machine). Setup is
    a bit involved, but it comes with full documentation and even has it's
    own scripting language. (don't ask me on that last, it's still on my to
    do list)

    http://tglsoft.de/

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 26, 2007
  4. Ace Hung

    ded Guest

    "Ace Hung" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I use Thunderbird to read the usenet. How do I set it to keep (retain)
    > all the postings in my computer?

    "retain"

    The retention is determined by the server, but I think you may mean
    that posts you've downloaded and read - vanish after a set period,
    if so you can disable that default setting:

    Open TB
    Click: Tools>Account Settings
    A dialog will appear, to left is listed all servers entries
    Scroll and locate your NNTP server
    Click: "Offline & Disc Space" for that NNTP server.

    Here you will find the settings that are causing your downloaded
    posts to vanish - "Delete messages older than 30 days" or "Delete
    all read messages" etc.
    UNtick relevent check boxes that are causing the posts to vanish.
    Tick: "Don't delete any messages"
    Click: "OK" button
    Close window.
    ded, Sep 26, 2007
  5. Ace Hung

    Ace Hung Guest

    Yes, that's what I wanted. I will try out your suggestions later.

    -Hung

    Ace Hung, Sep 26, 2007